Post-Game Talk: Game #4: Red Wings @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ur kind of cherry picking aswell since you go from December 1, your are removing his 2 best months and starting right where his bad stretch started.

How does his All Situations stats look from January 1? February 1? Just to get some perspective here.
I couldn't find a visual that wasn't just his entire career :laugh:

career-lundqhe82.png

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Hank has always had slow starts. I'm not concerned at all. It was not a great play, but it's silly to let one bad play overshadow hundreds of good ones. It is what it is. Let's move on.

The good thing is that we gave up less than four goals and we had lots of good chances. What can you do?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Why is this necessary?

Added the Vezina winner and everyone's favorite goalie for context:

DofEnx3.png

I mean from January 1st to seasons end, then February 1st to seasons end. Because machinehead has shown his SV% from December 1st, right? Which cuts out his best 2 months and is the start of his worst patch of play in years.

So if you cut out his best 2 months, maybe we can cut out his worst month too, and suddenly it doesn't look like he's declining, which he's not :P

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hehe, nice viz and while it kind of shows it it's hard since it still shows the total SV% for the entire season, want just from January 1 and February 1 if possible :)
dAb8drK.jpg

Sorry, a lot of my favorite sites for hockey stats have bitten the dust over the last couple years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
For the record, since we're all on this goalie love train this morning...

In all situations last night via Corsica.Hockey, Lundqvist's expected goals against was 1.88, he surrendered 2.

Lundqvist faced 3 low danger shots, and 15 medium and high danger shots. That is a preposterous ratio.

Howard faced 12 low danger shots, and 21 medium and high danger shots.

Both goalies were beaten on 1 medium danger shot against. Lundqvist was also beaten on a high-danger shot against.

Lundqvist's splits in the sv% category were:

Low - 100%
Med - 88.89%
High - 83.33%

Last season (still in all situations) Lundqvist's splits here were:

Low - 99.03%
Med - 93.67%
High - 80.79%

Essentially, what we are fighting over all morning for, is one mental mistake from Lundqvist playing the puck behind his own net, and causing a medium danger goal against.

What we're ignoring, is that generally when a shot is allowed against Lundqvist, it's a scoring chance.

Too much focus on Howard playing a great game and for some reason projecting that onto Lundqvist, who again, if he doesn't make that mistake, perhaps walks away with a win and this day is very very different on HFNYR.

thats basically what im seeing as well. rangers go long periods of time without giving up a shot, but when they do give up a shot, boy oh boy its a doozy.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Lot of bickering per usual.

But honestly, this team looks a lot better than I expected - borderline excellent.

D is a weak point, we know. AV still frustrates the hell out of me.

But overall, they have played damn well.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Feel like i'm explaining myself badly here, sorry for that.

Machinehead has used stats to show that Hank is not so good, those stats he's pulled is for the 2015/2016 season from December 1st until seasons end, which conveniently cuts out his 2 best months while it starts right where his worst stretch in years starts.

So i want to know how these same stats look if you pull them from January 1st 15/16 until seasons end instead of December 1st.

This should clear it up, sorry for the confusion :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Feel like i'm explaining myself badly here, sorry for that.

Machinehead has used stats to show that Hank is not so good, those stats he's pulled is for the 2015/2016 season from December 1st until seasons end, which conveniently cuts out his 2 best months while it starts right where his worst stretch in years starts.

So i want to know how these same stats look if you pull them from January 1st 15/16 until seasons end instead of December 1st.

This should clear it up, sorry for the confusion :)
Oh I know exactly what you're looking for, I just can't find it. :laugh:

But maybe this should be directed to Hank's thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2065321

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
one other thing im noticing a lot.

We have 2 guys who can really fire the puck in Zib and Pirri..but im noticing that when they miss the net, and thats been far more often than not, the pucks are just rimming right outta the zone. they gotta hit the net. a free clear from a missed shot is dumb. OR our defenseman need to do a much better job rotating to keep the pucks in. if youre seeing the one timer set up you need to immediately rotate to the other side to keep that puck in the zone.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

We have 2 guys who can really fire the puck in Zib and Pirri..but im noticing that when they miss the net, and thats been far more often than not, the pucks are just rimming right outta the zone. they gotta hit the net. a free clear from a missed shot is dumb. OR our defenseman need to do a much better job rotating to keep the pucks in. if youre seeing the one timer set up you need to immediately rotate to the other side to keep that puck in the zone.

Seems to be happeneing quite a bit. IMO that all on the D. Have to anticipate that. Leetch was great at that in his day. Current D, and PP units...Not so much. I think they will figure that out.

On a side note I think Zucc's been struggling with that a bit as well.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

This has always been a problem for the Rangers. ****ing Del Zotto ALWAYS DID THIS.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Okey, i finally found it on Corsica :)

So for reference to Machineheads stat where Hank is a 90.7% SV% since December 1 (Which seems wrong still, i get 91.21% without the playoffs and 90.85% with playoffs counted in)

Hank had a 91.83% All Situations SV% between January 1st and April 12 (before playoffs), that's right under his career average, so can we please kill the narrative that he's in decline now?

Edit: In 4v5 during the same time frame he did have a bad GSAA though, it was -3.7 so our PK was bad and he didn't help it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Need a RH shot on the PP to feed Zib for one timers.

Even still, that shouldn't be the play there, you need to move the puck more than just that predictable back and forth up high.

Push it down low and swing out either get the man on the back door creeping in, the slot man or kick it to the man at the top of the circle who either shoots or passes cross ice to the back door guy. This is simple powerplay stuff, they were doing it in the preseason, hell they were even doing it last season.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
What an impressive showing honestly. Still, further evidence that we're gonna lose a lot of games like this, which I feel is in part because of our lacking of a true star forward. Still very encouraging though.

Getting nervous that schmuck AV may keep Nash on the CK-Zib line. He looked awesome last night.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lot of bickering per usual.

But honestly, this team looks a lot better than I expected - borderline excellent.

D is a weak point, we know. AV still frustrates the hell out of me.

But overall, they have played damn well.

Yeah, about how I feel. Wanna see some things tightened up and I'm not a fan of the D pairings but we'll see what happens.

This board is getting harder and harder to read though.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The next big question mark for this team is what happens when Girardi is healthy enough to re-enter the lineup.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Clendening should be on the first hnit.

his shot isn't very good but he's great at opening lanes through faking passes and it's a wasted talent if nobody is going to take a one timer

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
That Hank gaffe was bad, but I'd give him and the skaters equal blame for the loss.

Doesn't surprise me to see the usual suspects of having bad opinions out in full force.

It's been 4 games and I like this team a thousand times more than I ever liked last year's team.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
What an impressive showing honestly. Still, further evidence that we're gonna lose a lot of games like this, which I feel is in part because of our lacking of a true star forward. Still very encouraging though.

Getting nervous that schmuck AV may keep Nash on the CK-Zib line. He looked awesome last night.

The line looks better with Nash and CK-Zib-Nash is a bonafide #1 line.

I'd be totally fine with Av dropping Buch down to Hayes-Miller's line. Keep him on PP1 tho.

ilovemarkmessier

Oct 13, 2011
New York
We don't have top end offensive players. I don't think anyone thinks we do? What we have is an extreme amount of depth and above average offense which overall yields a really good offense. The Hawks offense is built by having a few real high end players and then a bunch of very weak fill ins. They Rangers offense is built by just having a bunch of good players throughout the entire lineup but no player on the Kane type level.

Oh yeah. Watch what Kreider does this season . I said it here first. Chris Kreider will be a Hart candidate this year. We lost cause we hit posts and missed wide open nets. End of story. Lunquist was fine. We all know he sucks at handling the puck and passing out. It doesn't usually cost us games however maybe in this case it did.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York

This is the main problem I see with the 1-3-1. Overall, it seems pretty good in that we're actually getting one-timers setup, However, the downside is we have 1 D in the middle and no one next to the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad