GDT: Game 4: Nashville Predators @ Anaheim Ducks | 7:30 PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Sure he got better as the game went on, from rubbish in the first 2, to good in the 3rd ;)

Literally the only thing I remember from Ryan in the first 2 periods is his tipped goal, and missing wide with a shot in the 1st

He hit a great one timer way too high on a nice feed from either Bonino or Koivu. Ryan and Selanne don't work because both are primarily perimeter players. It makes no sense that Ryan is a perimeter player due to his size and skil, but he is what he is. There is a reason why he benefited the most IMO from playing with the twins, despite (arguably) being the most skilled of the three.

Swedish playmaker*

Not a Ducks fan but fun for Viktor.

Tim Thomas played in AIK prior to joining the Bruins, so did Fasth.
Tim Thomas made his NHL debute very late, so did Fasth.

ohhhh :sarcasm:

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011

I want to see Viktor Fasth annihilate a Sedin next Canucks game!

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki

Thomas had only one season in AIK and he moved to Boston to be a star goalie from Finland ;)

But I wouldn't mind if Fasth is the another 30 something goalie to make it big in NHL :D

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
I liked what I saw from Fasth. I wonder if he could be a regular...that would mean we could trade Hiller for some help up front...2 C maybe?

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I liked what I saw from Fasth. I wonder if he could be a regular...that would mean we could trade Hiller for some help up front...2 C maybe?

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, I was at the game and our seats are close to his goal for two periods. He did a great job tonight, but IMO he is not as good as Hiller.

His defense did a pretty good job of clearing the pucks after the first save, there were some openings if the puck bounced the wrong way. He could get better though, he looked a bit tight in the beginning, but looked outstanding in the shootout.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site

I love Fasth, he not just only a great goalie, he is a competitor a real warrior. Thats the kind of players the Ducks need. Imho he can be as good as Jonas but lets not forget, he is 30 and will not improve dramatically. Jonas and Viktor have been a top 5 goalie duo in this league and right now that's what they are. A very good pair to have.

Overall I don't see much #2 center out there who will fill our needs. Just lay it down, no team is trading a player like Andy Mac unless you overpay and overpaying is something we can not afford. This team will grow. Fowler will get better, as will Sbisa. Up in front we have diamonds in a rough. Just be have some patience. We lacked a good backup since Hiller now we have one. Our Ducklings will fill the hole.

I like this team a lot! It will break your heart from time to time but overall they seem to be a good group of people.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
What is with all the Fasth hysteria? He played a decent game, and did well in the shoot out, but he's not supplanting Hiller any time soon. The shoot out was a function of nobody having a book on him and knowing where his weaknesses are to shoot yet combined with it being Nashville's forwards. He also plays very high out, leaves big rebounds, and is somewhat scrambly after a shot misses the net. During the game, there were several occasions where the puck was put out to the side and Nashville just fumbled the puck and missed what would have been an open net - Vancouver easily would have had 5-6 goals on him last night.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
What is with all the Fasth hysteria? He played a decent game, and did well in the shoot out, but he's not supplanting Hiller any time soon. The shoot out was a function of nobody having a book on him and knowing where his weaknesses are to shoot yet combined with it being Nashville's forwards. He also plays very high out, leaves big rebounds, and is somewhat scrambly after a shot misses the net. During the game, there were several occasions where the puck was put out to the side and Nashville just fumbled the puck and missed what would have been an open net - Vancouver easily would have had 5-6 goals on him last night.

That is exactly what I saw at the game, needs to return to his position quicker after a missed shot.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
So we have a #2 who seems he could become rather solid, so we should trade our #1?

Alright

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California

THANK YOU! Someone said it!

Honestly from my perspective Fasth looked very average at best. I'm pumped he got the win and he came up with stops at key moments. In reality though he looked extremely discombobulated at times. He seemed to be scrambling out of position quite often. His lateral movement was slow especially when the puck came from behind the net. His rebound control was pretty poor and as a result both goals came off huge juicy rebounds.

Honestly I don't really care how he played because at the end of the day we still got the W but I think people are extremely over reacting in this thread about how awesome he played. He did have a great interview though. Lol

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
This competition between Hiller and Fasth will be good. Both have some areas they need to clean up and this competition can help that. Each will bring their A game when it's their turn.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Useless may be a harsh word, since he always does his job on the PK, but I honestly thought the intensity dropped from his game after Boudreau made the switch. He also missed the coverage on his guy on that 2nd Preds goal. What hurts a player like Cogliano is that he doesn't own a great defensive instincts. He does his best work when he has gritty and great defensive forwards like Koivu and Winnik supporting him. It's just not a good fit for him to play on a line with Bonino and Palmieri.

I don't think the intensity dropped from his game, I think the chemistry dropped from all three Cone Heads. The "Pass, shoot, score" chemistry evaporated once all three where thrown into the four winds. All three players play the grinding, nitty gritty style for offense and defense with puck possession in mind. That's why they find each other often. All three don't mind going to the corners and battling it out. When they're on the offense, we pin the opposing team down. That Cone Head line gave us a legit scoring prowess outside the top line with the Twins.

Winnik on the top line, he looked a bit off because the Twins play a different type of game. They're a cycling type tandem.

Cogs, I feel bad for him because he's stuck with other smallish players.

Koivu, I feel the worst for because he's the only one grinding and battling for the puck while Ryan stays out on the perimeter and Teemu circling around the center of the ice, both wingers not getting their hands dirty and simply waiting for something to happen.

The Cone Head line scored 9 points in three games, and that included the shutout that Schneider put on us. Even during the shutout, the Cone heads had a lot of great chances that were stifled out by Schneider.

But BB changed the lines to get Teemu going. So instead of going with Rakell at 2c, he went with his old buddy Koivu. Thus sacrificing the amazing chemistry of the Cone heads.

It looked like Ryan and Perry found their game after the 2nd period, but Selanne continued to be ineffective and that's 3 in a row I thought he hasn't looked good at all. I'll give him some time, but he needs to get it going.

Ryan was invisible tonight. He wasn't as physical as last night. Teemu... He needs a center that's big, works the nitty gritty, and has some offense flair in him where his name is not Koivu. That's where I think Holland would fit in. Heck, Rakell too. Bones is just a pylon out there.

Fowler was good and Sbisa played much better as well. I also love the play of healthy Toni Lydman. Allen rebounded nicely after the 1st, but Beauch is still struggling a bit I think. He seems to be just a little bit late to every play. It's nice to see though that his game hasn't gone completely down the crapper after his injury, and I expect him to only get better.

OMG. Fowler is just getting better and better! Ryan got the goal, but it was a tip in from a Fowler shot from the top of the ice! Fowler just gets it. And man is he quite fast as he's gliding everywhere, going from end to end without difficulty. Reminds me of Scotty, but dare I say faster!

Lydman has played great: physical, takes great angles to seal off an opponent, very aware. Beauch... not so much. Sbisa was trying hard to make up for last night. I think he knows better and will be more aware so he doesn't get beat. Allen's physical-ness is well appreciated. A lot of people don't think Allen's done much, but being the stay-at-home type is what allows Fowler to pinch down more often. Allen knows his role and makes sure he adjusts himself to accommodate a free-wheeling Fowler, plus his hard checks makes a huge psyche difference. Souray's been silent. That's good because it shows he's not missing assignments or getting beat. It's bad because he's not helping to create offense.

Koivu was the best Duck tonight. Great debut from Fasth, and I especially loved a few of those stretch passes when they were on PP. Hiller never does that.

Koivu deserved the third star last night. He worked well with the Cone heads and continued to work his arse off being the only person on an island on the Ryan-Teemu waiting on cherry picking express line. Koivu also drew a penalty call while Ryan and Teemu simply watched from afar as Koivu was battling for the puck along the boards behind the net.

Aside from the fatty rebound, Fasth played a very good game. One of the commentators was denoted about Fasth's stick handling of the puck so well and not scared of it. Hazy supported it by saying Fasth's confidence level is way high to be stick handling like that. And with an answer, "That's why I want to be the goal tender." or something to that effect got a kick out of me and made sense.

Overall a solid win and I hope we see even more effort against the Sharks. That team is dangerous.

I don't know about solid win. We were battling, but not generating much on offense. I thought we were in the defensive end too much. Our defensemen are playing better and our PK finally put up zero's. The two goals we scored was a scrambling tip in from Fowler's shot from the top of the ice and a 2-on-1 breakaway because Nashville fell asleep during a line change. All the line changing and lack of cohesion on all four lines threw me off. The top line was getting chances and the third line has been amazing. The second line has always been a no show. The four line was an energy line, but tonight it revealed why Staubitz should always be a healthy scratch! I'll gladly take back a somewhat lazy DSP because he adds something to the team, unlike the blackhole of Staubitz. :::shudders:::

Return the Cone head line, demote Bones to 4c and replace him with Holland or Rakell, and bring back DSP or replace him with Sexton, but not Staubitz.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
I rather like Bonino and don't think the second line problems stem from him. He made a couple of good plays tonight and was solid on the defense end and on the forecheck. He (and the second line) has improved every game (except the Canucks one, that I want to forget), so I don't want to throw him to the dogs yet. Especially I don't want to see Koivu on the second line. If we have to change, put Holland as #2C. But I think that'll make it work even worse.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
I don't know if I was as impressed with Fasth. He handled the shoot out well enough, and those goals weren't totally on him, but he looked out of position at some times. Definitely good backup material, but I don't think he's gonna be challenging Hiller any time soon. At least as long as Hiller plays like Hiller, and not what we saw on Friday.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This was Fasth's NHL debute, you guys for sure have high demands.

I fully expect Fasth to outplay Hiller, everything else would be a huge dissapointment. I rank Fasth as number second behind Lundqvist among Swedish goalies.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California

I fully expect Fasth to outplay Hiller, everything else would be a huge dissapointment. I rank Fasth as number second behind Lundqvist among Swedish goalies.

It's not about having high demands at all. Lol

It's about all the people overhyping him like yourself. His play in net yesterday left lots to be desired. I understand it could be first game jitters but people in this thread are anointing him as some great goalie and essentially saying he's on his way of being our new number 1.

If yesterday was any indication I personally would say he won't last long playing like he did. This is basing it off yesterday's game only. Needs to work on rebound control, lateral quickness and needs to track the puck better. Maybe he needs more of an adjustment period as he alluded to in the interview after the game that the small ice is much faster. This can account to why he struggled in those aspects. He may end up being a very solid goalie but he was nowhere close to being a number 1 based off last night IMO.

Ducksgo*

Woah! Hedberg? Gustavsson? WAY to much hype here dude

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
So do they once again have to make Koivu the 2C? That's not good. How about something like this?

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Winnik-Koivu-Selänne
Ryan-Rakell-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-DSP

I haven't seen the last two games so I don't really know how things have been going. So I don't know how the 1st line looked like but I heard about Winnik being on it instead of Palmieri. I would still like to keep Palms on it, they just need to get it going again. Koivu would be the 2nd center in this lineup but he would have Winnik to help with dirty work and Selänne to do the scoring.

Bonino and Rakell could switch places and Holland could possibly mess up the situation too. But I would try with this combination since Rakell plays pretty maturely and devensive game. He and Cogliano can hustle which leaves Ryan open for scoring. Bonino could use a timeout and on 4th line he could focus on just defensive play and not on feeding two snipers.

Problem is the 3rd line again, Rakell isn't a man yet and Cogliano is small. Ryan doesn't play physical type of game. So not a lot physicality to be expected...

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Yeah, maybe some day Fasth is going to be the second best. Maybe soon. But last night he was not. He did enough to earn the win, but didn't stand on his head or anything. That's the definition of a backup. Not to sound like I'm knocking him, that was his first NHL game, it's not expected that he should have put in a shutout or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad