GDT: Game 4: Detroit Pizza Wings @ Arizona Coyotes | 7:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Anthony Duclair looked great despite boat anchor linemates. If he had some talent on his line, we would have won this hockey game. We still have zero wins. Makes you wonder about the choices that led us to have two garbage minor league players on a line with a young guy who's been one of our most dangerous offensive threats in our first four games. Why? Why has he been saddled with Kempe and Cousins? Skippy and Zippy the Super Hustle Brothers bring nothing of value to the table. They are the mascots of winless hockey.

Exactly my complaint.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I fear that this team is going to find every which way to lose before they learn how to win. We lost today because we couldn't take advantage of chance early in the game, and lost our focus at the end of the game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d argue they cycle well down low and can get to garbage areas in front of net. Can’t finish obviously, praying Duke can do that for the line, clearly. Seeing Cousins up close Saturday, that seems like all he can do. But it was evident on the first Keller goal with Martinook in front, creating havoc while CK walked in to tap it home. I don’t think they are completely useless, but definitely not players on the roster of every other team in the league.
I disagree about the cycle game from Skippy and Zippy. They don't drive meaningful possession. Not in the way Rieder and Martinook do. The latter are real players. They sustain pressure or mitigate goals against. Skippy and Zippy just buzz around and nothing good happens.

Reactions: CC96

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Only 4 games in...78+ potentially to go. We have all seen lots of positives. Keller looks great. Let’s get a win Saturday against the B’s.

Cheer up everybody :)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The people who said that we looked pretty good tonight are right. We did, but just couldn't quite close it out.

It's the same thing that happened previous years. Tocchet mentioned it the same as Tippett did - players attempt to do too much and they get out of position, which makes us chase the puck and the game. We got away from that more
today and that was why we looked decent. People are getting mad at Stepan for dogging it - Stepan actually played a pretty solid game - he was directly responsible for a backcheck in the 1st period that led to PP and did fairly well along the boards, which I don't think is his game. It could be that line knew they were the ones that could kickstart the scoring, and he was truly dog tired at the end, along with Domi.

Anyhow, we just need a win to get confidence so that we continue the buy into system and process. We are a super polar team right now - sometimes we look 100% exciting and dangerous, and then we look like we hardly know what to do. Good news is that polarity narrowed this game and we looked more functional for a good 90% of the game.

Reactions: BigDoaner

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Better game then the last two. I dont know where half the team is though. Dvo has been complimentary, Crouse hasnt taken the next step offensively, Fischer looks like he could use a Tucson stint, Duke isnt trusted but looks alright, Richardson looks like a 4C, Cousins has brought noting, and then there is the entire blueline.

Clandening actually didnt look out of place with OEL, but neither did a Murphy who was scratched by the Hawks.

Louie is hard to trust, and the players look like the agree.

We do have a first line that looks dangerous, just need three more lines that can click. I'd move Domi aeay fron Keller just to disperse the talent.

Crouse-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvo-Duke
Reider-Richardson-Kempe
Marti-Cousins-Fischer

Until Perlini is back

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
I disagree about the cycle game from Skippy and Zippy. They don't drive meaningful possession. Not in the way Rieder and Martinook do. The latter are real players. They sustain pressure or mitigate goals against. Skippy and Zippy just buzz around and nothing good happens.

Point taken. I’d definitely rank them 1) Rieder, 1b) limited offensive game, Nooky, and then the bodydonnas. With the Swede unable to break check, and making a habit of crashng the goaltender.

But I think having a guy like Cousins do the uglier things, let’s a guy like Duke have more space and float into the areas for shots and chances, on paper. Bottom line, I agree with you, but I just don’t think they are total offense killers the way we had guys in the past. (Halpern, Gordon, etc)

rt

May 13, 2004
The people who said that we looked pretty good tonight are right. We did, but just couldn't quite close it out.

It's the same thing that happened previous years. Tocchet mentioned it the same as Tippett did - players attempt to do too much and they get out of position, which makes us chase the puck and the game. We got away from that more
today and that was why we looked decent. People are getting mad at Stepan for dogging it - Stepan actually played a pretty solid game - he was directly responsible for a backcheck in the 1st period that led to PP and did fairly well along the boards, which I don't think is his game. It could be that line knew they were the ones that could kickstart the scoring, and he was truly dog tired at the end, along with Domi.

Anyhow, we just need a win to get confidence so that we continue the buy into system and process. We are a super polar team right now - sometimes we look 100% exciting and dangerous, and then we look like we hardly know what to do. Good news is that polarity narrowed this game and we looked more functional for a good 90% of the game.

I think for most of us the idea that it's very early in the season and that we have a young roster and a lot of turnover really goes without saying. This is still a comment forum so comment we will. Given that the game is the thing that happened tonight I'm not going to be surprised or annoyed that the comments reflect the micro rather than the macro, here. Kinda the point.

rt

May 13, 2004
Point taken. I’d definitely rank them 1) Rieder, 1b) limited offensive game, Nooky, and then the bodydonnas. With the Swede unable to break check, and making a habit of crashng the goaltender.

But I think having a guy like Cousins do the uglier things, let’s a guy like Duke have more space and float into the areas for shots and chances, on paper. Bottom line, I agree with you, but I just don’t think they are total offense killers the way we had guys in the past. (Halpern, Gordon, etc)
Fair. I like Kempe and Cousins more than Cool Moss and Chillchura. The new guys actually have a pulse.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not too bad. Still a loss, which sucks, but we didn't look like shit. Also Malcolm on the wing scored 2 goals. 4 points in 4 games, not too shabby.

I hope we call up a goalie and scratch Raanta for a few games. If he's still unable to play more than one period let's just rest him.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Only got to see the last period and saw that play.

Something is wrong with OEL. He looks like he's protecting that knee that got tweaked in the pre-season. He's bending over and reaching more with the stick than he used to. But with Chychrun out they don't have too many options right now.
He needs to sit too. He's played through way too much crap already in his short career. I don't want to watch a broken OEL in a few years and wonder what could have been if he had actually sat when he was injured.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Stinks to lose, but vast improvement.

Less trying to force the puck up ice, support was much better and allowed for the former. More concerted effort at getting pucks deep as well - like I said vast improvement.

Reactions: CC96 and rt

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Alright guys. Bottom line. We are less than 5% of the way through the season. Keller has looked awesome. OEL has looked less good than we know he can play. Raanta has a mysterious leg twitch that's keeping him from playing. There's a lot of season left to play and we are only 3 points out of a Wild Card spot right now. :sarcasm:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Echoing other comments...agreed that the team deserved this win tonight, imo. With just one more save this game could have been totally different. The goalies need to be healthy and also a bit better in general. 90% save percentage isn't horrible but it needs just a bit more to be average and thus help this team win more.

I am glad to see the team respond with a much better effort than last couple of games. Deserved a better fate. If they keep playing that well the wins will come, imo.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
- Stepan is fat and out of shape.
- OEL is a headcase right now
- Young players outside of Keller are struggling
- Garbage is playing up in the lineup like Cousins
- Players that have been good like Duclair are playing down in the lineup, Strome is in Tucson
- Gogo-Demers is so bad it has to be actively coached around

You have one D playing well, one rookie, and a bunch of dudes that are either out of shape or out of sorts. Oh, and your starting goalie is an injury roulette wheel.

Some of these wounds are unexpected, but some of them are self inflicted. They need to get this shit sorted. It's not a case of "oh, it's 4 games." They look awful. There's no progression so far.

rt

May 13, 2004
Echoing other comments...agreed that the team deserved this win tonight, imo. With just one more save this game could have been totally different. The goalies need to be healthy and also a bit better in general. 90% save percentage isn't horrible but it needs just a bit more to be average and thus help this team win more.

I am glad to see the team respond with a much better effort than last couple of games. Deserved a better fate. If they keep playing that well the wins will come, imo.

Yeah. Response gives me hope. They got a lot better at the stuff they needed to get lot better at and they did it pretty quick. They're still not nearly there, but they've come a long way. I think the shock and disappointment is that they had so far to go. I think most of us hoped they were closer than this to being able to play respectable NHL hockey. Oh well. #YotesLife

rt

May 13, 2004
- Stepan is fat and out of shape.
- OEL is a headcase right now
- Young players outside of Keller are struggling
- Garbage is playing up in the lineup like Cousins
- Players that have been good like Duclair are playing down in the lineup, Strome is in Tucson
- Gogo-Demers is so bad it has to be actively coached around

You have one D playing well, one rookie, and a bunch of dudes that are either out of shape or out of sorts. Oh, and your starting goalie is an injury roulette wheel.

Some of these wounds are unexpected, but some of them are self inflicted. They need to get this **** sorted. It's not a case of "oh, it's 4 games." They look awful. There's no progression so far.
Well there is SOME progression. The team was kinda okay tonight against a Detroit team that won't sniff the playoffs.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Would like to see Domi and Duclair together

Either put them with Stepan or Dvorak.

Perlini, Crouse or Fischer can play with Keller. It honestly can’t hurt to try it. The worst that happens is we lose more games

Reactions: rt

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
it is very difficult to make it there on weeknights. We need to figure out a central or East valley location. I had to do a half day at work, drive back to Gilbert then drive all the way out there. I would like to go to more games, but man, my gas tank hates me right now haha

Reactions: 0point1 and CC96

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
it is very difficult to make it there on weeknights. We need to figure out a central or East valley location. I had to do a half day at work, drive back to Gilbert then drive all the way out there. I would like to go to more games, but man, my gas tank hates me right now haha

Story of my life.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
We have too many Richardsons, Crouse, Martinooks, Rieders, Fischers, then we add in Cousins and Kempe.

We need some snipers. I think Vrbata would have been helpful. Dvorak is not being helped playing with his linemates.
We only have one line of offense.

I would like to see Dvorak, Domi and Duclair. Try someone else with Keller and Stepan.

I liked what I saw from Clendening. Loius has to play better. That's not a game we should lose. That second goal was complete crap.

Reactions: rt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad