Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
giphy.gif

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You need secondary scoring and while Schenn and Schwartz are providing that, Jaskin hasn't really helped that line outside of the assist to Schwartz. Yes, he can use that size to help that line, but I don't necessarily see him doing that consistently. Jaskin has his moments, but I think it's pretty indicative when the coach swapped Jaskin for Paajarvi and Thompson. Thompson isn't too raw at all. If Sundqvist could finish at all, Thompson could arguably have his first point. He clearly has the skill to be a top 6 if not top line winger. Why wouldn't a shooter fit in with Schenn and Schwartz? Why wouldn't he benefit from playing with two of the most tenacious puck hounds on the team? If anything, Thompson fits in better on that line than Paajarvi or Jaskin. I'd almost like to see Steen start with Barbashev and see if those two can create, plus give good vet support to Barbashev. You're absolutely right that Jaskin can fill a role, but I think it's disingenuous to say Thompson is "too" raw to play there. Jaskin has NEVER done anything to warrant that high of a spot on this team. His best year was playing with Stastny when Backes and Lehtera were both here as well. When Berglund is back, I would almost guarantee, unless there's another injury, Jaskin doesn't sniff higher than 4th line.

But Steen and Berglund aren't back. So we have to create the best lines we can. That doesn't necessarily mean stacking all the best talent on the top 2 lines. It means finding the best balance. Jaskin is clearly not a top 6 player but we need to make do with what we have. What was really indicative was that it was the Schwartz-Schenn lines worst game. They had no points in the last game (Schwartz point was on the PP with Vladdy), nor near as many really dangerous chances. They produced better with Jaskin, putting up 8 points in 2 games. Small sample size, for sure, but the proof is in the pudding. You point about almost getting an assist with Sunqvist further proves my point. That line desperately needs a guy who can do what he can do (and will be better able to as he gets more experienced). Schwartz and Schenn don't need that skill-set as much. Its not about promoting Jaskin because he is so good. Its about balancing the lines as best we can while injured to maximize total scoring ability.

By being raw, I meant that Thompson still hasn't grown into his body and doesn't have experience. Other players, even smaller players, are stronger than he is. He gets pushed off the puck in board battles, he doesn't use his size to create space, and he still is unsure what to do in a lot of situations. Jaskin doesn't have the speed to be as effective as he could be, but he has the experience to know how to utilize what he does bring. He may not have "done anything", but he has played in almost 200 games. That is a lot of experience that Tage just doesn't have. Jaskin can think the game quicker and as such, can actually keep up with Schenn and Schwartz better, despite the lack of foot speed. Tage probably would not have come up with the assist Jaskin got, because he thinks and extra second, holds on to the puck to long, and his first instinct is to make a move. That's fine, but not when playing with Schwartz and Schenn. That is a better fit on the 3rd line which needs someone to break open plays and help Barbasehv create.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
i really hope that Dunn tightens up a bit more tonight. he has shown some really good stuff, and some obviously bad stuff in the first 3 games, but i would like him to take another step forward to keep him in the line up when Bow gets back and have a reason to move Gunny

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
The more games we play, the more I miss... Patrik Berglund

I was just thinking how all the Berglund hate has stopped around these parts. Granted it might be outta sight outta mind. But, with all the 3rd and 4th line bashing going on its almost as if Berglund could help this team... Dear Gawd!

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I was just thinking how all the Berglund hate has stopped around these parts. Granted it might be outta sight outta mind. But, with all the 3rd and 4th line bashing going on its almost as if Berglund could help this team... Dear Gawd!

Berglund hate really took a back door the last few years since we had Lehtera. Then he had that really good goal scoring run last year. Personally I have always been a Bergy fan, while he hasn't lived up to draft expectations he has become a very good 3rd line player. Slighly overpaid.. yes but he really does excel in his role.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

He's safe from it as long as Thorburn is around now lol. I have my complaints about Berglund's contract but think he is a decent 3rd line player.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'll still "hate" on Berglund if you would like. He is a thoroughly replaceable 3rd liner who gave his inexplicable supporters fuel to pump his tires with an extremely lucky goal-scoring hot streak last year, but other wise he is middle of the road, not only over-paid but signed way, way too long. Once Steen comes back to our Top 6, there will still be little need from him that we could not find elsewhere. Just because we are ravaged by injuries, does not mean he somehow gets any better. Even if he has some use as depth this year, he will soon very quickly be blocking cheap young options with our prospects all so close to NHL ready.

For the record though, I don't hate Berglund. I hate his contract. If he was signed for <$3M for 2-3 years, I'd be fine with it.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Honestly not expecting a win tonight. Packed scheduling and the way they have relied on Allen the past couple games does not bode well tonight. I just hope they can show better ability to possess the puck.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'm going out on a limb here with something completely unexpected: We blow a 2 point lead but win in OT.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Jaskin, Megan out. Sundqvist, Thorburn in per Gordon. Jaskin missed team meeting. Barbashev moves up to second line.

Sobotka-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn/Barbashev
Paajarvi-Sundqvist-Thompson
Upshall-Brodziak-Thorburn

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Paajarvi still in the top nine and Thorburn back in, what could possibly go wrong

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Big opportunity for Shevy, sucks for Jaskin. I think he has been playing well.

Happy to Sundqvist back in but not happy at all about Megan coming out for Thorburn.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Paajarvi and Sundqvist in our top nine and Thorburn is still on the 23 man roster...

Hopefully Hutton repeats his last game vs NYR, we might need that kind of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad