GDT: Game 39: Islanders @ Avalanche | January 6th, 7PM MT/3AM Polish | Heavy Gloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
LOL@those D pairings, and we're wondering why this team is terrible. I know that's not the whole issue l, but holy crap, that's bad. That's not even a AHL caliber D

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
LOL@those D pairings, and we're wondering why this team is terrible. I know that's not the whole issue l, but holy crap, that's bad. That's not even a AHL caliber D

I just dont think we are ever going to fix our d haha. If we are close to a playoff spot next yr we prolly end up trading Meloche for a rental.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I just dont think we are ever going to fix our d haha. If we are close to a playoff spot next yr we prolly end up trading Meloche for a rental.

Here's an idea. DRAFT A FRIGGIN DMAN WITH YOUR TOP THREE PICK.

But no, BPA, gotta pick a guy you can't miss, etc etc etc. Bull **** on that.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Aside from Liljegren ( who is questionable in the top3), there is no D close to good enough to go in the top3.

And Liljegren is an offensive RHD. So not a perfect fit at all.

The time to pick D would have been in 2016 (Chychrun, McAvoy or Sergachev if PK Subban hadn't slipped. That Moron.), 2015 (if we would have lost a few more games with EJ out at the very end. Cause of those meaning less wins we missed out on Provorov and Werenski), 2014 (unfortunately in our range there were no Ds available at all it looks like) or 2013 (Jones).

We have had a lot of bad luck and often times those meaningless wins at the end of the season ruined it for us.

Last year would have been the time but that did not work out and we would have probably picked Bean over McAvoy and Chychrun anyways.

Drafting for need is hard and not a good strategy. But yes the Avs have to start picking them high. In hindsight picking Mac was probably the wrong choice. But hindsight and everything...

First of all they need a real organisational philosophy for the next 5 years. A plan that can not be altered by one good half-season.
If they do that, we might have a chance.

Coloradorov

Oct 7, 2009
Denver

I always thought if you need a D and BPA are Fs, you draft the F to develop and trade for D. Problem is, we haven't done well enough in that regard to afford moving those Fs.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I always thought if you need a D and BPA are Fs, you draft the F to develop and trade for D. Problem is, we haven't done well enough in that regard to afford moving those Fs.

Problem is that right now good dmen are worth way more than good forwards.

So that basically ruins the Avs favorite draft strategy of only picking forwards high.

Because even if the forwards develops like you want him to, he will still probably not even fetch that D you just passed on if the D develops somewhat decently.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
since today is my day off, I`m going to watch this one, just for the laughs.

though with Beauchemin out, I may have picked a bad game for that. :(

but hey, at least I`ll see Nieto, our savior! (ps: I feel sorry the guy. he will probably cry during the first intermission when he really realizes the mess he`s stuck in)

btw what the hell happened to Ladd? he can`t be playing THAT poorly. no way! :laugh:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
since today is my day off, I`m going to watch this one, just for the laughs.

though with Beauchemin out, I may have picked a bad game for that. :(

but hey, at least I`ll see Nieto, our savior! (ps: I feel sorry the guy. he will probably cry during the first intermission when he really realizes the mess he`s stuck in)

btw what the hell happened to Ladd? he can`t be playing THAT poorly. no way! :laugh:

From the little I have seen (don't watch much Islander games) he has been very poor.

I think it is between him and Boedker for the Clarkson award for worst contract handed out on July 1st with him being clearly in the lead right now. But Lucic could come closing in soon and fast. Backes also still has a chance. Eriksson is right there as well.

Colborne while still being a decent contender is looking up to them from far away.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Our whole team sucks lol.

Those saying "We haven't drafted any Dmen high lately! We need to! Our D sucks!!", just keep in mind we're not only the worst defensive team in the league, but we're also the worst offensive team in the league by a full 5 goals. We need skilled forwards who play hard on defense just as much as we need actual defensemen

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
From the little I have seen (don't watch much Islander games) he has been very poor.

I think it is between him and Boedker for the Clarkson award for worst contract handed out on July 1st with him being clearly in the lead right now. But Lucic could come closing in soon and fast. Backes also still has a chance. Eriksson is right there as well.

Colborne while still being a decent contender is looking up to them from far away.

to think that many around here were enamored with Eriksson not so long ago... :laugh:

thankfully Colborne only has one more year and for us, 2.5M is not too much to throw away, since we will be way below the cap next year. (ps: who am I kidding? they are probably going to expend right to the cap, signing Wideman and Vanek in FA :help::help:)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Our whole team sucks lol.

Those saying "We haven't drafted any Dmen high lately! We need to! Our D sucks!!", just keep in mind we're not only the worst defensive team in the league, but we're also the worst offensive team in the league by a full 5 goals. We need skilled forwards who play hard on defense just as much as we need actual defensemen

Meh. I think it is wrong to say that defensemen are responsible for the defense and forwards are responsible for the Offense.

Columbus is the best team in the league right now and I would not trade any of our top4 forwards for one of their forwards straight up. Saad is close but I am probably too much of a homer to pull the trigger on it.

What they have is great D and great depth.

A great D is probably the most important thing when it comes to creating offense IMO.

A great D makes players like Soderberg or Iginla look useful because they don't have to spend as much time in their own zone and get put in positions where they can succeed.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
A great D makes players like Soderberg or Iginla look useful because they don't have to spend as much time in their own zone and get put in positions where they can succeed.

only position I can see Iginla succeeding as of now is at his home, watching hockey in the tv with his wife and kids.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Meh. I think it is wrong to say that defensemen are responsible for the defense and forwards are responsible for the Offense.

Columbus is the best team in the league right now and I would not trade any of our top4 forwards for one of their forwards straight up. Saad is close but I am probably too much of a homer to pull the trigger on it.

What they have is great D and great depth.

A great D is probably the most important thing when it comes to creating offense IMO.

Exactly why a team like Columbus with a questionable forward group is ripping apart the league right now.

And also why Nashville was a second round level playoff team for years and years before even making the Ryjo trade.

I love how the media is acting like this is some kind of major change in the game just from Pit winning the Cup with speed and mobile defense.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I like how McNabb says Avs are struggling little bit before every game:laugh:

Little bit would be so much better if it was true

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
less than five minutes in but you can already give the MVP of the night title to Nieto, just for that check. and that mustache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad