GDT: Game 39: Islanders @ Avalanche | January 6th, 7PM MT/3AM Polish | Heavy Gloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe Mack dont like Dman lol I remember seeing a practice clip when he gave Holden a nice two hand slash back of the leg when it looked like Holden was goofing on Mack haha. Maybe Mack has a bad temper.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't want to take away from the great game this team played last night. They honestly looked like a completely different team for some reason. Their execution and effort level was much much better from what we've seen pretty much all year.

I think Benar or one of the vets challenged the guys to come out and play their best before this break, and they realized there's a chance this might be their last game for some of them, if they get moved during this break.

Great effort by the team either way. Now if they can just find a way to play like that more than once out of every 82 games, we might be able to build towards something here.

They played the last place team in the east and barely won in OT, i wouldn't call this the end of the struggles.

This team also beat the Hawks not long ago and played crappy after that win until this game. I really don't see the Avs going on any king of win streaks this year, they just don't have it in them. They'll be lucky if they win two games in a row the rest of this season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
This porridge is just a little too hot.

This porridge is just a little too cold.

This porridge....

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This porridge is just a little too hot.

This porridge is just a little too cold.

This porridge....

Clearly this team that's in last place doesn't have any problems with the temperature of it's porridge. It's just right.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I can't be 100% sure but I remember when he said "what a effing change" and I thought at the time that he was saying it because they change his PP unit after being on the ice for only about 30 secs. I had the impression he thought their unit should have stayed longer on the ice. I might be wrong though.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Best effort and execution by this team all year, and a great finish by Nate in OT, but did anyone else see the interactions he was having with his teammates? He twice yelled at guys after plays on the ice.

The first one was when Zadorov went off for a change on the PP in the 1st. Nate grabbed the puck in his zone and took it up ice, and passed to Landy after entering the zone, who skated down to the circle and sent a pass off the boards back to where the D man should have been at the point, but nobody was there.

You could hear Nate’s voice yell the F word really loud after the pass cleared the zone. Then he skates to the bench after the stoppage and says “what a effin change†and shrugs his shoulders starts arguing with them.

The second one was this play where Z didn’t look ready for the pass, and had his stick off the ice, and after he missed it you could hear Nate either yell “eff you†or “what the eff are you doing†or something else with the F word really loud. It wasn’t the usual hockey player “eff off†there was a you after it, and given the clear mistake it’s a safe bet it was directed at Z.

Nate played a great game all night, and I'm sure things are frustrating right now, but turning on your teammates is not the solution to this team’s problems, and it’s not the kind of thing you want to see from a guy wearing a letter on his chest. Keep that in the locker room if you have an issue with a guy, don't embarrass him out on the ice for all the fans and cameras to see.

That doesn't surprise me because in one of MacKinnon's interviews this season he said we need d-men who can get the puck to forwards fast, and he clearly showed frustration implying that the Avs don't really have d-men who can get the puck to forwards coming out of the zone

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That doesn't surprise me because in one of MacKinnon's interviews this season he said we need d-men who can get the puck to forwards fast, and he clearly showed frustration implying that the Avs don't really have d-men who can get the puck to forwards coming out of the zone

I think we can all agree with Mack on that. We need d-men who can move the puck. We have a bunch of Eric Gryba's

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I think it is bad form to bad mouth team mates like that. I think it is counter productive and it will result in negativity, which I think this team has enough of already. On the other hand I can understand Mack's frustration. But what if everyone was acting like Mack did when their frustrations are high? Imagine what a kindergarten it would look like. I also think he losses respect among his team mates when he does that.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Good on Mackinnon. I remember Seeing an interview with Adam Foote about playing with Columbus, and he said one of the best things about playing for their club at the time, is each player to a dime, would keep each other held accountable on the ice (despite their struggling results).

It was a culture where you wouldn't want to let your team mate down, or you'd certainly hear about it.

He said that was very refreshing.

What Mackinnon did actually showed leadership qualities. Call a spade a spade.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Actually I should clarify, MacKinnon didn't say we need d-men who can pass the puck, he said we need the d to move the puck fast to the forwards, but he was frustrated saying that and was implying that his d-men are unable to do that

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I guess I could chime in on MacKinnon.... I think there's way too many assumptions, and I think maybe ABasin who might have said we're taking something PG and turning it into something R rated (correct me if I'm wrong, if it was someone else making that analogy).

Good for MacKinnon, I mean holy hell, it's not like he was red faced spitting and screaming in Zad's face? Come on! You have no way to know what their relationship is, good or bad. And MacK shrugging and stuff there could be a lot of different things.

I don't know about what you hear, but MacK can be heard on the ice ALL the time, this isn't new. I mean he calls for the puck a lot, but he also yells out of emotion at himself and other players. Sometimes as the game goes, I think they turn the mics down near the ice just for him :laugh:

I don't have any problem with what happened and think there's a huge overreaction to it. For all you know they bro hugged after in the lockeroom, ffs, like I said he didn't throw a tantrum. I've had bosses calmly call me out for mistakes and I go 'oh I'm sorry, I will try better next time'. No love lost whatsoever.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, if as long as you're not throwing a major hissy fit, there's no need for this big of a 'omg how could you' reaction. You do you MacKinnon :thumbu:

EDIT: It was ABasin, had to go look. But seriously, this isn't a 'regular' job. Ya'll act like cussing is some big crime, **** that, you ever hear some of the things said on the ice? This isn't the counter at McDonalds like 'sir, sir, please do not swear at me sir. I am going to have to ask you to leave, sir, if you continue to use language like that. Sir, please don't speak to me in that tone, sir....' :laugh: :sarcasm:
It is fair to see how this goes, maybe see if this is a regular thing where there could be a rift of some kind in the locker room. But still at this point, we're no where close to knowing that, and havent seen MacK 'lose his ****ing mind' on anyone. (Tukka Rask....ahem)

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Perhaps crying after losing a faceoff in the Montreal has toughened the boy up, that would be nice.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
One thing that stood out to me again - Pickard is getting beat glove side quite regularly. Not a good hole to have in your game.

Loved what Nieto brought, hoping to see more of the same.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
One thing that stood out to me again - Pickard is getting beat glove side quite regularly. Not a good hole to have in your game.

Loved what Nieto brought, hoping to see more of the same.

This is true, but the Boychuk goal... I don't think there's a goalie in this league stopping that bomb on a one-timer facing a 5-on-3 from that close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad