GDT: Game 39: Islanders @ Avalanche | January 6th, 7PM MT/3AM Polish | Heavy Gloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Complaining in frustration isn't leadership nor will it help players improve. Mid game isn't the time or place for that.

Next day, during practice, when you have cooled down then you can approach a teammate.

Cussing out teammates during a game is primadonna junior hockey behavior. Just like when goalies or defenders give each other the stink eye after a bad goal. Doesn't help at all.

A player that still makes a lot of simple mistakes like MacKinnon should just focus on his own.
Million times in agreement.

Rycroft even said during one of his own postgame comments after a loss that nobody on the worst place club can criticize another player. Only way is to work on your own game in the hopes that everyone does and you can climb out of this pit.

However, hockey players are some of the most prideful sports athletes (in a positive way). I also understand that frustration goes hand in hand with a physical sport. Hell, last month when I was in a pick up hockey game, two other players almost got into a fight because one was claiming the other one was conducting cheap shots. It happens, but both of them made up by the end of the game. Even Rask was a notorious hothead who stared down teammates after a mistake, but I doubt he hates them after the game is finished. What I personally didn't like was the smug attitude when MacKinnon was coming back to the bench at the first gif. You obviously can tell he's frustrated, but there are better ways to handle it. I am more disappointed that another player or coach didn't step in to tell MacKinnon to cool down. Perhaps they did in the lockerroom, but just assuming based on a lack of evidence.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If that kind of thing is spilling out onto the ice, I can only imagine how toxic that locker room is behind closed doors. Would explain a lot about how the last month has gone.

I didn't hear any of that live, but then again I wasn't that close to the benches either.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Can't have that kind of **** happening all the time, but it doesn't bother me here at all. I wonder how Z took it. Maybe he needed to hear something like that? Seems like a tough love kind of thing more that anything else.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Damed if they do damned if they don't.

I mean, just because a few people here are frustrated and want to see fighting between the players for their own personal satisfaction doesn't mean they should get what they want or that it would be good for the team.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I like the Landeskog MacKinnon Rantanen line. They create a lot of chances through hard work and smarts.

Söderberg and Barrie has looked better lately. They're playing with a bit more jump.

I like this line as well. I hope none of the here are traded, hey are the 3 players the Avs should not be trading at all, IMO. Unless they go nuclear, then trade MacK to a good team, for his sake.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What is with this bye-week? We already had a 5 day break in the schedule earlier, I believe twice? Why didn't they count that as the bye-week. More scheduling dumbassery by the NHL.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What is with this bye-week? We already had a 5 day break in the schedule earlier, I believe twice? Why didn't they count that as the bye-week. More scheduling dumbassery by the NHL.

That was just bad scheduling. The guys still practiced and stuff. This bye week is a complete week off from hockey.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Damed if they do damned if they don't.

Seriously. :biglaugh:

So many fans on this board have decried the lack of passion/leadership shown by this hockey team, then a young star player shows some spark, but then the fan base doesn't like it.

The worst season in the history of the franchise, and we're doing our best Goldilocks imitation.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

So many fans on this board have decried the lack of passion/leadership shown by this hockey team, then a young star player shows some spark, but then the fan base doesn't like it.

The worst season in the history of the franchise, and we're doing our best Goldilocks imitation.

There is a difference between showing passion, and yelling at a teammate for making mistakes when you're just as responsible for the mistakes being made.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
We haven't lost in regulation in my past 9 GDTs, with a record of 8-0-1.
Just saying :laugh:
Past two seasons (this and last season) combined 9-1-1.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

IMO that is not showing a spark, it is displaying a bad attitude. And I don't like it.

I don't mind people yelling at people in the heat of the moment or to scream at someone that he should wake up. I mind it if people cuss and call people out publicly in front of everyone while going to the bench after the shift in the middle of a game.

Huge difference.

That is what I think Mac was doing yesterday.
And I really don't like it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
IMO that is not showing a spark, it is displaying a bad attitude. And I don't like it.

I don't mind people yelling at people in the heat of the moment or to wake someboday up. I mind it if people cuss and call people out publicly in front of everyone while going to the bench after the shift in the middle of a game.

Huge difference.

That's exactly what happened...

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

So let's say that you're at work, and you make a mistake. A co-worker, not even your boss, just a guy with a couple years of seniority on you, goes off on you in front of both your fellow co-workers and even some customers. Would you consider that to be "good leadership" and a "spark" by that co-worker?

I don't know about you, but in my workplace, that would not be tolerated. Hell, I'm actually a manager in title, but I never call out my employees in front of customers if they screw up.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I don't mind people yelling at people in the heat of the moment or to scream at someone that he should wake up. I mind it if people cuss and call people out publicly in front of everyone while going to the bench after the shift in the middle of a game.

Huge difference.

So everyone is just going to ignore what TMV said, and that looking at those two moments is taking their communication out of context?

Seems like a lot of hoopla over very little information to me. The arena is loud, and they are not exactly standing right next to each other lol. So yeah they were probably yelling at each other, who knows what the hell was said haha.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
So let's say that you're at work, and you make a mistake. A co-worker, not even your boss, just a guy with a couple years of seniority on you, goes off on you in front of both your fellow co-workers and even some customers. Would you consider that to be "good leadership" and a "spark" by that co-worker?

I don't know about you, but in my workplace, that would not be tolerated. Hell, I'm actually a manager in title, but I never call out my employees in front of customers if they screw up.

Mackinnon isn't just a co-worker, he is an assistant captain, in a massively different work environment than a typical workplace/office. Maybe Mack could have handled it better, but this isn't remotely a big deal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That first GIF is after MacK turned it over in the offensive zone and Tavares came down the wing on a mini break and Z had to chase him down to poke check the puck away. Are we sure that's not a bit of frustration from MacK with himself on that one? The second one I can understand the frustration though.

Fwiw, I saw Z, MacK, and Landy doing a lot of communicating on the bench last night, and it wasn't all screaming. Taking just a few instances makes it all look bad. They're always talking before faceoffs too, both at ES and on the PP.

The first gif definitely isn't in frustration of the turnover. The puck went up in the air and landed in Mack's feet, and Tavares made a nice quick play to poke it ahead. Then Z actually made a really good defensive play to drive him wide and knock the puck off his stick back to Nate.

Then Nate grabbed the puck and took it up ice like in the gif. After it cuts, and before he goes to the bench, the only thing that happens is Barrie gets the puck and and passes it to Mikko who losses the puck a bit and goes off sides.

He's definitely not upset with himself, it's someone on or near the bench, and he's not yelling at Mikko for a simple offsides. He screamed the F word after Landy's pass cleared the zone, and then when he got to the bench he clearly said "what a elfin change", even though it's harder to tell in the gif.

I'm not sure who he was talking to, that part is speculation, but my guess is it was either Z, or possibly Barrie who would have been just getting back to the bench at that time.

I think Mack is probably generally a good teammate, and he gets along great with Landy obviously, but I do think he still displays some immaturity at times. It's not the first time I've mentioned it, but this was a pretty obvious example.

He's got to work on that if he's gonna be a leader, and if this team is gonna go anywhere.

I think this is pretty close to speculation. We don't really know what was said. Meh.

It's not that much speculation really. He's visibly arguing with someone on the bench on the first play, and even though it's a little harder to tell in the gif because it's dropping frames, in real time he's clearly saying "what a effin change."

His swearing was quite audible during the broadcast after both turnovers, and the second one he'd have no reason to be upset with himself, or bad luck, it was clearly directed at Z's mistake.

It's not just being passionate though AB. It's not frustrations with a play not going his way, or showing passion for not winning, it's an emotional lashing out at a teammate. That's very different.

Your teammates are your brothers. You win and lose together. You make mistakes together. Just like no one yells at Nate on the ice for his mistakes. If you have an issue with a guy you take it up behind closed doors.

He's not a terrible person for doing this, he just needs to grow up a bit. I think we all know this about Nate.

Complaining in frustration isn't leadership nor will it help players improve. Mid game isn't the time or place for that.

Next day, during practice, when you have cooled down then you can approach a teammate.

Cussing out teammates during a game is primadonna junior hockey behavior. Just like when goalies or defenders give each other the stink eye after a bad goal. Doesn't help at all.

A player that still makes a lot of simple mistakes like MacKinnon should just focus on his own.

Exactly. Getting upset with a teammate is fine, but you keep it in the room first of all. You don't do it on the ice. Secondly, Nate isn't the guy to be casting stones and acting like he's the authority on playing a perfect game. He still makes quite a few defensive mistakes, and bad passes. If you're gonna get upset with a teammate you better damn well have your own game in order.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this. Yeah MacK shouldn't freak out, but we don't know what has been said before and we don't know how Z's reacted either. I get the frustration and as bad as MacK has been at times, he has been the Avs best player and it is obvious he cares. As long as this isn't consistent I don't have an issue with it.

That's true. They could have had issues for a while and this was just boiling over a bit. Teammates don't always get along. It also didn't look like a huge deal, just a bit of a spat.

Nate just didn't handle it properly. He's also held to a higher standard since Bednar for some reason thought he was ready to wear an A on his shoulder.

He clearly cares about winning though. That's part of it. He also played a great game from start to finish. He was flying out there all night and scored the OT winner.

He just needs to hold these emotions in until you get to the room, and not throw your teammate under the bus for both benches and the fans to see. You can get the same message across there if you need to.

Every other player has instances where a teammate killed a play with a bad mistake, and they just subtly mention it on the bench, or bite their tongue till they get to the room.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't want to take away from the great game this team played last night. They honestly looked like a completely different team for some reason. Their execution and effort level was much much better from what we've seen pretty much all year.

I think Benar or one of the vets challenged the guys to come out and play their best before this break, and they realized there's a chance this might be their last game for some of them, if they get moved during this break.

Great effort by the team either way. Now if they can just find a way to play like that more than once out of every 82 games, we might be able to build towards something here.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't want to take away from the great game this team played last night. They honestly looked like a completely different team for some reason. Their execution and effort level was much much better from what we've seen pretty much all year.

I think Benar or one of the vets challenged the guys to come out and play their best before this break, and they realized there's a chance this might be their last game for some of them, if they get moved during this break.

Great effort by the team either way. Now if they can just find a way to play like that more than once out of every 82 games, we might be able to build towards something here.

That's something I was curious about... Guys can be moved during the mandated break, which could effectively deprive some players of said break. The PA is cool with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad