GDT: Game 39: Anaheim Ducks vs Detroit Ref Wings - 5pm PT, BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Still wanna know what happened to the Terry from the previous two seasons that played on instinct because he's back to overthinking everything again. He's as slow with his brain as Killorn and Silf are with their feet.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Still wanna know what happened to the Terry from the previous two seasons that played on instinct because he's back to overthinking everything again. He's as slow with his brain as Killorn and Silf are with their feet.
Got married. Had a kid

I’m done with Cronin. Can’t Blame this one on Z. Only guy who decided to Show up.
Way to early to go this route. But I will say one thing. PV is making more calls regarding our lineup than cronin is. That alone tells me PV has trust issues

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
People on here just need to stop overvaluing our players. They suck. The team sucks. Our vets suck. Flower turns the puck over at every crucial point.

Trade the vets, including terry

• Haha
Reactions: goonsaredumb

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I did a deep dive through my meme folder but found this guy which I think accurately portrays hfducks right now:

Screenshot_20240107_210335_Messenger.jpg

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Newell’s done a good job?
This teams pp has sucked for all of his term.
Either to plan is bad…
The players aren’t doing it…
Or the players suck that are in the pp

Guys in over his head

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
As brutal as is has been for the past two and a half months after a wonderful October, we are close to where most people expected us to be. If some of our veteran players decided to actually show up for games every once in a while (looking at Strome, Killorn and Henrique especially), we could have had ten more points under our belt and would be in slight contention for a PO spot.

Cronin, overall, doesn't really worry me whatsoever. He will get this season and next and then we'll see what happens. We have an allegedly great coach on our minor team and there will be some good coaches on the outside looking in in 18 months' time.

What we really need to do, though, is to finally axe Newell Brown. Guy apparently has no clue what to do with our PP unit, and I'm halfway there to say any random long-time user of our HFboards sub forum would do a better job than him. Minus that Smirnov guy maybe, if he's still around.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As I said before, they are not bleeding goals as much as the other bottom 5 teams. But they cannot score even if their life depended on it. There is enough skill on this roster to be scoring at least 3 goals a game most games, so I put more fault on the coaching and execution. Newell Brown is also rearing his ugly head once again since they are 5% on the PP since Leo went down.

They are always on their heels defending, maybe if they attack more, shoot the puck more, maybe will score more? I mean it’s not rocket science. I can’t give credit to a lot of the teams out there. Ducks find ways to lose, and it makes it easier for their opponents.

Someone said it in the roster thread. Tired of some of them like Zegras or Terry looking good and having chances. They need to get on the scoresheet. May need to score some greasy ones for that to happen.

Quoting myself, because this happened. I mean the 2nd Zegras goal was a beauty of snipe to the top corner, but the 1st goal was a deflection from staying in front of the net…..hmmm maybe that‘s an idea to do it more???

Hazy and Ahlers are getting very spicy now, and they should, this team is so lost now, I don’t even know where to start.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This. It's frustrating to lose but it's expected. The Ducks were the 32nd team last season. Verbeek said 2 more seasons. We all just have to wait.

He gets 2 more season from me, including this one. So expect at least some progress next year, and then the following year, have to at least be on the bubble if not already in a playoff position 2 years from this date.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
For better or worse we're in the Cronin era now. With the roster the GM has built the yardstick for measuring the coach is whether the young players are progressing. We hear about accountability....ehhh, I don't know about that. In some ways prospects are exempt from the ice time motivator because you have to balance their confidence and growing abilities against what their efforts and effectiveness might otherwise deserve. But overall I can't really point to much tangible evidence of actual accountability for poor play. And I worry that his approach has strangled the skill of our most creative players but I can't prove that either. But McTavish has made obvious strides this year, Minty, Dostal, Luneau, LaCombe, and especially Carlsson all look or have at times looked very good. Cronin's not at fault for the stupid load management regime. On this score, he probably earns good marks.

And it would be ridiculous to dump him just half a season in based on the record. Beyond that, there's also no way to be sure to what extent the team's struggles are his fault since they sucked last year too (and the year before, and the year before). Sure, his answers in this scrum aren't great but they're at least candid and seem honest. It wouldn't be shocking if he's doing a bad job since he's a 60-something rookie coach whom no one has ever bothered to hire for the top gig before -- maybe there's a reason for that. So it's fair to speculate.

TLDR: the team is bad because the roster's bad (PV's fault), and whether Cronin is doing a good job at developing prospects with that obvious handicap is open to interpretation. I think he probably is but I worry that his philosophy is a drag on Terry and Z. It doesn't help that the team is boring and listless.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ryan Strome has been really bad his last 20 games

Quoting myself, because this happened. I mean the 2nd Zegras goal was a beauty of snipe to the top corner, but the 1st goal was a deflection from staying in front of the net…..hmmm maybe that‘s an idea to do it more???

Hazy and Ahlers are getting very spicy now, and they should, this team is so lost now, I don’t even know where to start.
Are they really that lost? They’re outplaying a lot of teams. Sure, games like the EDM game are going to happen from time to time

This team isn’t a joke though. They’re losing a ton of 1 goal games which bodes well for next season and beyond IMO

Good news: Henrique is on pace for 21 goals and 42 points. Should be able to return something decent

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ya he’s another piece of fat we need to get rid of

Strome, mcginn, silf, Henrique, and to a lesser extent Jones need to be moved on from.

Killorn too but we’re stuck with that forever.

Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ya he’s another piece of fat we need to get rid of

Strome, mcginn, silf, Henrique, and to a lesser extent Jones need to be moved on from.

Killorn too but we’re stuck with that forever.
Killorn will be fine once they stop playing him on the top line. He’s a 4 million dollar 3rd liner making 7 mil, it is what it is

Verbeek will need to replace Henriques goal scoring AND add additional scoring this offseason - a tall task

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Are they really that lost? They’re outplaying a lot of teams. Sure, games like the EDM game are going to happen from time to time

This team isn’t a joke though. They’re losing a ton of 1 goal games which bodes well for next season and beyond IMO

Good news: Henrique is on pace for 21 goals and 42 points. Should be able to return something decent
Was referring more to the PP. it has gotten worse as we have added more skill onto it.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Was referring more to the PP. it has gotten worse as we have added more skill onto it.
The PP has looked good with Carlsson on it, and not at all otherwise. He adds a bit of dynamism that’s not otherwise present. It doesn’t help that the only play appears to be pass it endlessly until a miracle through pass reaches the right circle for a shot. The ones that get to the left side are almost never crisp/accurate enough to bother trying to shoot by whichever player is there.

That was another annoying thing last night. There was a substantial period of the game where almost every pass was wildly off target. Behind, too far ahead, bad pace, and it was a huge chunk of the roster including defensemen that was doing it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Killorn will be fine once they stop playing him on the top line. He’s a 4 million dollar 3rd liner making 7 mil, it is what it is

Verbeek will need to replace Henriques goal scoring AND add additional scoring this offseason - a tall task
Guess on the plus side we’ll likely have a high draft pick that we can hopefully use for someone that can score.

As far as trades/free agency…. Not a whole lot available to fix it….

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The PP has looked good with Carlsson on it, and not at all otherwise. He adds a bit of dynamism that’s not otherwise present. It doesn’t help that the only play appears to be pass it endlessly until a miracle through pass reaches the right circle for a shot. The ones that get to the left side are almost never crisp/accurate enough to bother trying to shoot by whichever player is there.

That was another annoying thing last night. There was a substantial period of the game where almost every pass was wildly off target. Behind, too far ahead, bad pace, and it was a huge chunk of the roster including defensemen that was doing it.

I think it’s the accuracy of Leo’s passes that make it look even better, like his line-mate just needs to put their stick on the ice and he will find it. He is also not afraid to shoot at all. I think Zegras and Drysdale is just a lot of buzzing around eating up PP time.

Like I don’t even notice McTavish on there, he is just circling in the middle just hoping to get a touch on the puck. Leo was able to make those crisp passes to Mac for one and we saw a couple of goals in a short time.

McTavish- Leo - Minty had a good thing going on the PP, hope they go back to that. I mean they prefer to keep Silf on there over Minty on the other unit is also a bad coaching decision. Go with two D on the other unit. Fowler and Minty will contribute a heck lot more than Silf on there.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I'd really like to see a healthy sample of both Drysdale and Carlsson together on our powerplay.

Zegras

Mintyukov McTavish Carlsson

Drysdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad