GDT: Game 39: Anaheim Ducks vs Detroit Ref Wings - 5pm PT, BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think it’s the accuracy of Leo’s passes that make it look even better, like his line-mate just needs to put their stick on the ice and he will find it. He is also not afraid to shoot at all. I think Zegras and Drysdale is just a lot of buzzing around eating up PP time.

Like I don’t even notice McTavish on there, he is just circling in the middle just hoping to get a touch on the puck. Leo was able to make those crisp passes to Mac for one and we saw a couple of goals in a short time.

McTavish- Leo - Minty had a good thing going on the PP, hope they go back to that. I mean they prefer to keep Silf on there over Minty on the other unit is also a bad coaching decision. Go with two D on the other unit. Fowler and Minty will contribute a heck lot more than Silf on there.
Having 2D on the "2nd" unit (the second one that comes out on the ice/finishes the PP) would be good in case they get caught when the guy comes out of the box too. That way there isn't a forward playing D (not that it happens all that often, but this way that unit doesn't need to change early if a PP is about to expire). That's not even considering Minty is a better offensive player than half the guys on the PP units.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
zegras is consistently our best forward putting in the most effort on a night to night basis. Hopefully 2 goal game gets his production going better, he’s had an unfortunate season with injury/ and bad puck luck.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
4-19-1 in our last 24.
Looks bad but a lot of highly winnable games in there. I know it’s a moral victory thing but it does feel different then last year when we were getting smoked

I firmly believe we’re a 30 goal scorer and solid 3rd liner away from being a fringe playoff team

We need like a Trevor Moore type player to play in our bottom 6

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Looking for silver linings...

• Last 10 games (games 30 - 39), Goals Against
    • 4 goals or more: 1
      Record: 0-1-0
    • 3 goals = 5
      Record: 1-4-0
    • 2 goals or less = 4
      Record: 2-1-1

League average for scoring goals is 3. Our team defense, defense, and goalies have kept us in games in nine out of our last 10 games.

• Last 10 games, Special Teams
    • PP = 3/31
      PP Eff = 9.7%
      Relative ranking = 32nd
    • PK = 9/43
      PK Eff = 79.1%
      Relative ranking = 17th
      Short-handed goals scored = 2
      * Relative Ranking means using the 10-game output and comparing it directly to the league's PP and PK season ranking up to today.

Our PP can't make up the difference in goals scored against the PK. Although, it's kinda scary that the PK unit almost has the same goals scored short-handed as the PP unit.

It all comes back to a lack of offense. From the Cronin interview, he isn't wrong about PP and PK being streaky. But he's wrong in that he doesn't have control over how long a drought streak lasts. Also, Cronin is reliant on top talents to generate offense in a specific way rather than have the team manufacture them. If Cronin can be more flexible in his offensive scheme, then maybe we can score enough to garner more wins.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The PP has looked good with Carlsson on it, and not at all otherwise. He adds a bit of dynamism that’s not otherwise present. It doesn’t help that the only play appears to be pass it endlessly until a miracle through pass reaches the right circle for a shot. The ones that get to the left side are almost never crisp/accurate enough to bother trying to shoot by whichever player is there.

That was another annoying thing last night. There was a substantial period of the game where almost every pass was wildly off target. Behind, too far ahead, bad pace, and it was a huge chunk of the roster including defensemen that was doing it.
Moving and passing are basic skills that travel (kids) teams learn, and somehow, the ducks haven’t been able to master that:laugh:

Reactions: Ducks DVM

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Moving and passing are basic skills that travel (kids) teams learn, and somehow, the ducks haven’t been able to master that:laugh:
The moving part is our most glaring issue right now, IMO. Way too many of our forwards are stationary when they don’t have the puck, and when they do get it, they are flat footed and can be easily defended. Arizona was skating circles around us, and that should be what we try to copy, though I don’t think we have the ideal personnel for it at the moment. I think dumping guys like Henrique and Silfverberg should help since they are 2 of the regular offenders.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We presumably have more potential this year than last, but it's not translating that way.

• Record after 39 games
    • Last year = 11-24-4 (26 points)
    • This year = 13-25-1 (27 points)

We're a far more talented team this year than last year. The loss of Drysdale last year devasted the defense; the loss of Drysdale this year didn't hurt the team. If we lost a player last year, then we had no depth to speak about.

Granted, Verbeek is messing with the roster because only he controls when Carlsson and Luneau play on the ice.

Overview comparison =====

Ducks2022-23Eakins
Game setGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
39​
11​
24​
4​
26​
0.333​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 39
14​
5​
8​
1​
11​
0.393​

Ducks2023-24Cronin
Total
39​
13​
25​
1​
27​
0.346​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 39
14​
3​
10​
1​
7​
0.250​

Special Teams comparison ====

Ducks2022-23SpecialTeamsEakins
Game SetGamePPGPPOEffPK GATSHPK Eff
Total
39​
18​
112​
16.1%​
41​
143​
71.3%​
1 to 25
25​
12​
72​
16.7%​
31​
89​
65.2%​
26 to 39
14​
6​
40​
15.0%​
10​
54​
81.5%​

Ducks2023-24SpecialTeamsCronin
Game SetGamePPGPPOEffPK GATSHPK Eff
Total
39​
23​
122​
18.9%​
35​
172​
79.7%​
1 to 25
25​
18​
80​
22.5%​
22​
110​
80.0%​
26 to 39
14​
5​
42​
11.9%​
13​
62​
79.0%​

The board made it a point last year that allowing 40 SOG's was a sign that Eakins' team was terrible. The around-40 SOG volume occurred around the 25th game when I was tracking it. Looking at the end production, I thought Eakins tweaked how we played and purposely allowed more SOG's to give his team a chance to win via run-n-gun scheme since he had the goalies for it. It looked ugly on the stat sheet and it was high event hockey, but the team improved despite being less talented, only one top-4D, and a meager PP unit.

Cronin is a rookie NHL head coach. Maybe he too has hit a rookie wall. Still, he's gotta find a way to change things around after having a hot start. Since Cronin is Verbeek's hand selected guy, Cronin probably has two years to be evaluated. Hopefully, Verbeek will be more hands off on roster dictation next year. He's got time to improve. If Cronin can't be more flexible to his team's roster to improve his team's chances to winning, then I don't think he will work out.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Looks bad but a lot of highly winnable games in there. I know it’s a moral victory thing but it does feel different then last year when we were getting smoked

I firmly believe we’re a 30 goal scorer and solid 3rd liner away from being a fringe playoff team

I agree with the sentiment. It feels much different than last year because so many games have been winnable this year. The Ducks are finding ways to lose where last year is was just a clear loss. I think Killorn is that 3rd liner you are looking for, he just needs to play there. A 30 goal scorer and a healthy roster would make this team a bubble playoff team next season IMO

Reactions: AngelDuck

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
FYI Leo, I noticed the misspelling in the subject header immediately, when I saw it early morning, and thought it was intentional =)

It was foreshadowing since we lost on questionable call. I don’t even know what a kicking motion is anymore.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I agree with the sentiment. It feels much different than last year because so many games have been winnable this year. The Ducks are finding ways to lose where last year is was just a clear loss. I think Killorn is that 3rd liner you are looking for, he just needs to play there. A 30 goal scorer and a healthy roster would make this team a bubble playoff team next season IMO

We had a terrible roster last year, especially on defense. We didn't have anyone that could win puck battles in our zone from our d-men last year. There were going to be expected blowouts last year, but that team found ways to scratch and craw. to OT to earn at least one point or more.

I don't know if this team is finding ways to lose, but they aren't scratching or crawling enough to get the game into OT. The defense is there, but constant problem of no offense still plagues us.

Ducks 2022-23SplitsEakins
Total
39​
11​
24​
4​
26​
0.333​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 39
14​
5​
8​
1​
11​
0.393​

Ducks2023-24SplitsCronin
Total
39​
13​
25​
1​
27​
0.346​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 39
14​
3​
10​
1​
7​
0.250​

After 39 games, we're only one point difference between the two squads. Last year's team got better and this year's team couldn't pull out anymore comebacks after the 6-game win streak. I'm far more disappointed in this year's team.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
We had a terrible roster last year, especially on defense. We didn't have anyone that could win puck battles in our zone from our d-men last year. There were going to be expected blowouts last year, but that team found ways to scratch and craw. to OT to earn at least one point or more.

I don't know if this team is finding ways to lose, but they aren't scratching or crawling enough to get the game into OT. The defense is there, but constant problem of no offense still plagues us.

Ducks2022-23SplitsEakins
Total
39​
11​
24​
4​
26​
0.333​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 39
14​
5​
8​
1​
11​
0.393​

Ducks2023-24SplitsCronin
Total
39​
13​
25​
1​
27​
0.346​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 39
14​
3​
10​
1​
7​
0.250​

After 39 games, we're only one point difference between the two squads. Last year's team got better and this year's team couldn't pull out anymore comebacks after the 6-game win streak. I'm far more disappointed in this year's team.
Yes if you look at raw record it’s very discouraging, but the underlying metrics are all vastly improved. The ducks were out scored by 2.5 goals per game last season - truly horrific so you pumping up Eakins is pretty laughable. We’re getting outscored by .85 goals per game. That is a MASSIVE improvement in team quality

It’s a signal that the turnaround is on the horizon. Long way to go but there is progress

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yes if you look at raw record it’s very discouraging, but the underlying metrics are all vastly improved.

It’s a signal that the turnaround is on the horizon. Long way to go but there is progress

Questions about underlying metrics improving is it due to roster construction or coaching? The underlying metrics for our ES offense hasn't vastly improved, it's gotten worse. Our PP improved, but our HC confirmed it's roster dependent - which is why it's streaky. We're adding an extra penalty per game compare to last year. There's a lot of negatives metrics here beyond the "raw record".

Ducks GF/game2022-23Eakins
Goals SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
39​
11​
24​
4​
26​
0.333​
2 goals or less
24​
1​
20​
3​
5​
0.104​
3 goals
4​
3​
1​
0​
6​
0.750​
4 goals or more
11​
7​
3​
1​
15​
0.682​

Ducks GF/game2023-24Cronin
Goals SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
39​
13​
25​
1​
27​
0.346​
2 goals or less
22​
0​
21​
1​
1​
0.023​
3 goals
5​
2​
3​
0​
4​
0.400​
4 goals or more
12​
11​
1​
0​
22​
0.917​

Our goal scoring per game splits look eerily similar between the two seasons. This year, we're better defensive in protecting a lead when we score 4 or more goals, but aren't scrappy enough to earn points when we score 2 or fewer goals. It's a feast or famine offense.

The are only two consistent bright spots this year in our blue line and netminders. Our defensive group is far better this year than last year, where last year we had only one top-4D and a bunch of OFD's forced to play DFD. Our goalies have been good to very good this year, but they were that last year too.

I am not discounting we don't have a bright future, but I disagree at being encouraged with the product on the ice this year than last year. I'm encouraged with all our additions on defense (rookies, vets, and youth returning from injury), Carlsson at age 18, and Mac's sophomore jump. It's still early for Cronin. I'll give him another year to get his plan together. Right now, we're regressing than progressing.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The moving part is our most glaring issue right now, IMO. Way too many of our forwards are stationary when they don’t have the puck, and when they do get it, they are flat footed and can be easily defended. Arizona was skating circles around us, and that should be what we try to copy, though I don’t think we have the ideal personnel for it at the moment. I think dumping guys like Henrique and Silfverberg should help since they are 2 of the regular offenders.
Sad thing is
Silfverberg IS moving, that’s all he has

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If we're being honest, I've seen worse get called a good goal. The one that got my goat was definitely the goal line call.

Yeah and like the Silf goal that had better visible evidence than that one didn‘t count. One good thing about this game, Zegras had 2 goals, PP has really taken a nosedive.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'll be honest, I don't really see a difference in kicking a puck in and redirecting it with your feet. If one is going to count not both. Just simplify the situation. Either they all count or none of them do.

Reactions: lwvs84
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad