GDT: Game 37: Columbus at Washington | 1/5 7PM

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Holtby was huge in the 1st period, after that Washington met or exceeded our performance level and Bob had a bad night. Just seemed early like the bounces were going to the Capitals and it played out that way over 3 periods.

Great run, I'm kind of glad its over in a weird way.

Now the next 10 games are a big test of this team's character and maturity.

Agree as to the next 10 games, but not stressing over winning any particular game or getting x points during those 10. What the streak (and the run up to the streak of 11-3-4) blurs is that going roughly 6-4 every 10 games is 96-98 points for the season without any kind of run or streak at all. Thanks to both that 18 game run and the 16 game streak, CBJ is significantly above 98 point pace - if CBJ goes 6-4 from here to end of season, final record would be something like 54-24-4 (I know I'm not factoring in future OT games, just 12 points every 10 games) - for 112 points. And yet going 6-4 or 5-5 over the next 10 will seem like a MAJOR regression - at least to us fans - but it shouldn't be. That's how good the streak and the 18 games BEFORE the streak were! 6-4 would still be solid hockey. The real key to the next 10, imo, is to play the right way, and not let a few losses get in the way of playing the right way. There will be bumps - maybe even a hangover or two games this weekend (hope not, not expecting it but its possible without the sky falling). But if they continuing playing as they have most nights so far, they will end up in the top tier heading into the playoffs.

The significant part of Saturday is simply playing solid support hockey like they have done all year (well, other than the last 30 minutes last night and the opener). If they do that, they will be fine, Saturday, Sunday and beyond, regardless of a win in any particular game. I know there is fear that if they lose Saturday the "SOJ" will appear. I do not see that. Simply a continuation of playing good hockey in both games this weekend, regardless of W-L-T, would be a good sign for bouncing back as the second half of the season unfolds, and especially come playoff time. No one goes 16-0 in the playoffs; shoot 16-12 actually is good enough to win the SC! Having said all that, I HATE losing to NYR or PHI - kick their behinds, PLEASE!

I am amazed by the 16 game streak, but maybe as much amazed that the streak clouds that CBJ was 11-3-4 in the 18 games prior to the start of the streak.

THANK YOU CBJ - part of this is just that it came seemingly out of nowhere. (I know, some saw it coming :sarcasm:)

Well done Jackets! Just keep playing solid hockey!

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Tough loss, several here have summed it up pretty well, we hit a steam roller, a great goalie and a few bad bounces...

Let's hope they bounce back tomorrow, I agree with SG, Bob will probably start Saturday in front of his home crowd..

There will be pressure on the team to respond.... Kudos to Dubi for standing up for a bad night, I'm expecting him to play well on Saturday.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don't want the players looking too far ahead, but if I take a quick glance to the future, I would say that if there were 2 Eastern teams that I hope the Jackets don't draw in the first round, it would be Washington and Boston. I think this team would have a better shot against anyone (even the Pens or Rangers) other than those two.

Funny.....I was thinking the CBJ would like to avoid Pittsburgh and Washington. Anybody else........Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Philadelphia, Rangers, Tampa, Leafs, Carolina.................bring it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Funny.....I was thinking the CBJ would like to avoid Pittsburgh and Washington. Anybody else........Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, Philadelphia, Rangers, Tampa, Leafs, Carolina.................bring it.

I don't mind WSH. We outplayed them the first 2 times this season, and last night we were better for the first 30 minutes, but Holtby was hot, Bob was cold, and a few bounces went their way.

I'd welcome them in a first round matchup.

Boston is a team I think could give us trouble.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I don't mind WSH. We outplayed them the first 2 times this season, and last night we were better for the first 30 minutes, but Holtby was hot, Bob was cold, and a few bounces went their way.

I'd welcome them in a first round matchup.

Boston is a team I think could give us trouble.

Regardless of our first round opponent the Jackets need to play as they did during their 16 game winning streak: confidence, skill and great goal tending..

To be honest, Bob's play is significant, he can be up and down.. I've seen him play for many years on both the Flyers and CBJ.. He must be sharp in the playoffs, any self doubt will result in a quick exit..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad