GDT: Game 33: Anaheim Ducks vs Seattle Kraken, 5pm PT, BSSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I thought i told PV to drop kick strome out of the plane on the way home?

Z looked great. Scary Terry mean while ... i guess he really hates changing diapers when he's home

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
that was the best michigan zegras has scored so far. so smooth and while skating at a pretty quick pace too
I thought the one where he went around Milano was the most impressive.

Funniest one was the offsides one against the Wild where Zuccarello lays out to stop the wrap around only to look up at Zegras scoring on a Michigan. The expression on his face was priceless.

John

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Was at the rink tonight and Z's Michigan happened right in front of me. I literally yelped. What was so great about this one was the utter lack of a clue that he was about to do it. He's become so fluid with those movements that you don't know it's going to happen until it's in the back of the net. Truly extraordinary to see in person.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Thank you Zegras for the Christmas gift. <3

Also great game by Minty and Drysdale.

Killorn... not so much.
Killorn, Henrique, Fowler….all not great tonight.

I’m not sure LaCombe could have played that second goal any worse.

He’s been out so much that I keep forgetting how great of a skater Drysdale is.

The future is really bright with this team. It’s just hard to be patient while our guys develop.

Reactions: lwvs84
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Only highlights with this one. Seemed like they were having prime Hasek as it often is with this team. Goal scorers are needed bad! And wtf Killorn, what the hell was that?

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
The silver lining of the Carlsson injury, is that Zegras gets his shot at center. He looked very good tonight, mixed in some highly creative plays but didn’t try to force anything, solid all around, even had 5 shots on goal.

I fully expect him to be a PPG+ player, ~50% at faceoffs, with good advanced stats.

I’d also bet, even if he’s that successful, he’ll still get moved to wing, where he’s way less impactful once Leo is back, because, reasons.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The silver lining of the Carlsson injury, is that Zegras gets his shot at center. He looked very good tonight, mixed in some highly creative plays but didn’t try to force anything, solid all around, even had 5 shots on goal.

I fully expect him to be a PPG+ player, ~50% at faceoffs, with good advanced stats.

I’d also bet, even if he’s that successful, he’ll still get moved to wing, where he’s way less impactful once Leo is back, because, reasons.

You would think Z moving to wing, and Leo taking the defensive responsibilities would open him up to produce more, both of them. We only saw about 10 games with Leo and Z and they looked fantastic together. Z was just not regular season ready and snake-bitten as hell.

The thing is, they would need someone to do some of the dirty work. On paper that is someone like Killorn. I like Terry with Z they have their moments but I’d prefer they are on separate lines. Give the opponents D two lines to worry about.

Cronin needs to just tell Z to be himself and go out there and focus on offense. Scoring is more of a concern now than the defense. We aren‘t bleeding goals like some of the other bottom teams in the league, and are in most of the games. We need more offense.

I think the whole thing about Z being poor on defense is blown out of proportion. He has improved over the years, and just need him to be responsible. He will likely never be a two-way C, and that is fine. Have to play to his strengths and that is pure offense and making plays.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
You would think Z moving to wing, and Leo taking the defensive responsibilities would open him up to produce more, both of them. We only saw about 10 games with Leo and Z and they looked fantastic together. Z was just not regular season ready and snake-bitten as hell.

The thing is, they would need someone to do some of the dirty work. On paper that is someone like Killorn. I like Terry with Z they have their moments but I’d prefer they are on separate lines. Give the opponents D two lines to worry about.

Cronin needs to just tell Z to be himself and go out there and focus on offense. Scoring is more of a concern now than the defense. We aren‘t bleeding goals like some of the other bottom teams in the league, and are in most of the games. We need more offense.

I think the whole thing about Z being poor on defense is blown out of proportion. He has improved over the years, and just need him to be responsible. He will likely never be a two-way C, and that is fine. Have to play to his strengths and that is pure offense and making plays.

I just think Zegras’ game is more suited to the center position, he sees the ice much better when he’s playing center rather than wing, and he’s much more engaged in the play when he’s playing center. Some players, play better when they can sneak around and find open ice away from the puck, others are better when they’re fully engaged, and Zegras is the latter, which is part of the reason he’s always looked better at center.

I completely agree his defensive shortcomings are overblown, he’s no selke finalist but he’s improved his defensive game at a pretty good clip.

There’s zero reason, especially with how young Leo is, we can’t run all 3 of Z, McT, and Leo at center and evenly distribute their ice times/run the hot hand. I get that we lack the goal scorers to effectively run 3 (or even 2) scoring lines but I don’t think handicapping a guy of Zegras’ talent level by playing him at a position he’s less impactful at is doing anyone any favors.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just think Zegras’ game is more suited to the center position, he sees the ice much better when he’s playing center rather than wing, and he’s much more engaged in the play when he’s playing center. Some players, play better when they can sneak around and find open ice away from the puck, others are better when they’re fully engaged, and Zegras is the latter, which is part of the reason he’s always looked better at center.

I completely agree his defensive shortcomings are overblown, he’s no selke finalist but he’s improved his defensive game at a pretty good clip.

There’s zero reason, especially with how young Leo is, we can’t run all 3 of Z, McT, and Leo at center and evenly distribute their ice times/run the hot hand. I get that we lack the goal scorers to effectively run 3 (or even 2) scoring lines but I don’t think handicapping a guy of Zegras’ talent level by playing him at a position he’s less impactful at is doing anyone any favors.

I feel that would be spreading the skill too thin. We don’t have enough scoring wingers to fill those spots to ice three scoring lines .

Z has about a month to show what he can do in a Top 6C role. If he flourishes, then put Leo on his wing…..but I think Verbeek and co have Leo penciled in as the Ducks Future 1C, and there were games he looked like it even if his line-mates have been inconsistent.

Mac looked great to start but has fallen off , I don’t think he is 100 percent , but don’t see him moving to wing.

I feel we are one Top 6 scoring winger from icing a really strong Top 6. Gotta hope some of the forwards in the system like in SD take the next step.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I feel that would be spreading the skill too thin. We don’t have enough scoring wingers to fill those spots to ice three scoring lines .

Z has about a month to show what he can do in a Top 6C role. If he flourishes, then put Leo on his wing…..but I think Verbeek and co have Leo penciled in as the Ducks Future 1C, and there were games he looked like it even if his line-mates have been inconsistent.

Mac looked great to start but has fallen off , I don’t think he is 100 percent , but don’t see him moving to wing.

I feel we are one Top 6 scoring winger from icing a really strong Top 6. Gotta hope some of the forwards in the system like in SD take the next step.

I get what you’re saying but again, I just disagree. I’ve seen enough from Z on wing, he’s far less impactful when not playing center and I don’t think the team is better with him at wing with more talented players vs. him at center with less talented players.

Not that it’s going to matter, we’re talking as if this team will have all their centers healthy at one time, we know that’s not going to happen.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
In a perfect world we could have a Terry/ Zegras duo on one line, and then McTavish/ Carlsson on the other. Terry and Z have shown they can produce when they are together, and having Mac and Carlsson on a line together would be a nightmare for teams in a few years. Obviously it’s tough because we expect those two to be our top two centers, I just don’t think we have enough scoring depth to have Zegras as a 3rd line center, and I don’t want to handcuff his skills by putting him on the wing where he’s not as effective. Will be interesting to see how it plays out if Z continues to shine at C while Carlsson is out.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
In a perfect world we could have a Terry/ Zegras duo on one line, and then McTavish/ Carlsson on the other. Terry and Z have shown they can produce when they are together, and having Mac and Carlsson on a line together would be a nightmare for teams in a few years. Obviously it’s tough because we expect those two to be our top two centers, I just don’t think we have enough scoring depth to have Zegras as a 3rd line center, and I don’t want to handcuff his skills by putting him on the wing where he’s not as effective. Will be interesting to see how it plays out if Z continues to shine at C while Carlsson is out.

I disagree. In a perfect world, Zegras and McTavish would make a pair. McTavish likes to shoot and Zegras pass. Both good on face-offs so if one gets tossed, it's still a plus for the Ducks.

McTavish and Terry have shown they have no chemistry at all. If McTavish stays at center, which he most likely will, then it's Carlsson and Terry. Zegras and Terry didn't work out too well either. McTavish and Zegras needs to be tried for a stretch when Carlsson returns.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I disagree. In a perfect world, Zegras and McTavish would make a pair. McTavish likes to shoot and Zegras pass. Both good on face-offs so if one gets tossed, it's still a plus for the Ducks.

McTavish and Terry have shown they have no chemistry at all. If McTavish stays at center, which he most likely will, then it's Carlsson and Terry. Zegras and Terry didn't work out too well either. McTavish and Zegras needs to be tried for a stretch when Carlsson returns.
I don’t agree. Zegras isn’t as effective as a winger (maybe that’s why you are saying in a perfect world though.) So having him with McTavish just once again limits his abilities. I also don’t think Carlsson and Terry are a great duo, they are producing despite that, but it’s not like they are that great playing off each other. Carlsson and Mac have shown they can have some chemistry and think the same plays, albeit that’s been on the powerplay and 3v3.

Reactions: Deuce22

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don’t agree. Zegras isn’t as effective as a winger (maybe that’s why you are saying in a perfect world though.) So having him with McTavish just once again limits his abilities. I also don’t think Carlsson and Terry are a great duo, they are producing despite that, but it’s not like they are that great playing off each other. Carlsson and Mac have shown they can have some chemistry and think the same plays, albeit that’s been on the powerplay and 3v3.
Is the implication here that Leo should be a winger? Cause I think that's an even bigger waste than Z on the wing. Leo fits squarely in that big body 1C mold. I agree that Zegras hasn't made the best transition to the wing, but until this team has the depth of talent to run three scoring lines, I don't think running Leo, Mac, and Z down the middle makes sense.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’d like to see

Killorn-Zegras-Vatrano
Henrique-McTavish-Terry
Jones-Strome-Leason
Johnston-Carrick-Silfverberg

That bottom 6 is terrible obviously but it’s time to mix up the top 6 and try something different

Is the implication here that Leo should be a winger? Cause I think that's an even bigger waste than Z on the wing. Leo fits squarely in that big body 1C mold. I agree that Zegras hasn't made the best transition to the wing, but until this team has the depth of talent to run three scoring lines, I don't think running Leo, Mac, and Z down the middle makes sense.
Why not? The ducks have a terrible bottom 6 right now and Zegras would feast on 3rd pairings even with Meh wingers on his line.

It’s worth a shot. I think McTavish/Terry needs to be made a thing long term

I don’t remember McTavish and Terry being on a line for more than a shift here and there but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
No Leo the 1C, which is also why I said in my OP it’s obviously tough because Mac and Leo are set to be our top C’s. I was stating just the duos we could use in a perfect world and still hopefully get the best out of all of them. If Zegras isn’t going to be used as a center, but isn’t effective as a wing what is the point? It’s a good problem to have, but tough one to solve when you have 3 guys that could realistically be 1C’s in the near future.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
What's the point of of playing a guy at a position at which he doesn't excel? Because we don't have the depth to run 3 scoring lines? I'd rather have all 3 develop as centers and fill in the blanks as we go. Much easier to find wingers than centers. Playing Zegras at wing is a waste of his talent. He's born to possess the puck in the middle of the ice and deal.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Mac can fit well with Carlsson or Zegras.

Zegras has chemistry with Mac on the PP b/c last year Mac was always setting up for one-timers and Z always knew when Mac was available. Last year, we didn't pair Mac with Z at ES, but that's similar to what we have Mac and Carlsson.

I actually do want to see Z with Mac when Carlsson returns.

Reactions: Hey234

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Mac can fit well with Carlsson or Zegras.

Zegras has chemistry with Mac on the PP b/c last year Mac was always setting up for one-timers and Z always knew when Mac was available. Last year, we didn't pair Mac with Z at ES, but that's similar to what we have Mac and Carlsson.

I actually do want to see Z with Mac when Carlsson returns.
I’m open to giving Z and Mac a go, but that will be based off Zegras looking ok at wing. That also still leaves Terry and Carlsson together which I’ve still not been terribly impressed with, but maybe once Terry gets out of his head that’ll be a better duo. I wish there was a easyway to get Carlsson and Mac together, but those two are just so built for C duty it’s tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad