GDT: Game 32: Columbus at New York Rangers | 12/12 7PM EST

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm not down on him, but don't make him out to be something he isn't. Boll fights, that what he does. If fighting became illegal in professional hockey, Boll would struggle to find a roster spot on an AHL team. Thats the simple truth.

I don't think that's true, that's an oversimplification to say that's all Boll does. He IS a good forechecker, there have many times when the 4th line has kept the puck in the offensive zone for some time. Not necessarily generating chances, but keeping the puck in the zone and wearing out the other team.

I'm not going to address your "if fighting..." argument because it seems very far off as a possibility. So, things being what they are, Boll is valuable. It's hard to compare him to Letestu because they are such different players, they are not really interchangeable. You expect scoring out of Test tube, not so much with Boll.

Anyway, someone sees something in Boll, he wears a letter and just got an extension. I agree that I don't think he gets enough credit on this board... Singularity or not

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Given how the team is playing, why shake it up? Maybe I take Tropp out for him but MacKenzie and Letestu are key parts of our team, especially our penalty kill. They aren't coming out for "hard forechecking."

Can't argue that Letestu has been pretty disappointing this year but looking at his ice time (15 minutes a game, most PK minutes by a forward), it's pretty clear Richards still trusts him.

Well the results have definitely been there, but we haven't played that great in a few of those wins. The 4th line hasn't been very effective with Boll out, him and Mac just click and putting Comeau out there will be a great crash line. Letestu has been good on the penalty kill but his job is offense and we can replace the PK minutes, I think that's Richards using him so he gets ice time.

I personally would not sit Boll in favor of Letestu, the way he's playing now anyway. What can I say, I like old time hockey and believe a tough team is the way to win in the playoffs when you don't have superstars. I don't think Tropp has brought anything to the table. You saw the Rangers take out Murray with a cheap shot, maybe that doesn't happen with Boll in the lineup to drop them. In reality, we aren't ever going to be 100% healthy so it's probably a non-issue.

I also believe in giving the fans a little something for their $200 worth, whatever your stance on fighting or Boll, it excites the crowd and brings energy to the building when he gets in a fight and makes people happy, I think that's worth something after 13 seasons of losing hockey. And he's a fan favorite. He most certainly has never hurt the team out there, doesn't take lazy penalties or cost the team in their own end. Sure he isn't a threat to score 20 goals, but that's not his job.

I would like to see a third line of Gaborik, Anisimov, Jenner when Gaborik comes back next week. Don't mess with the top 2 lines, they are rolling now and have great chemistry!

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think that's true, that's an oversimplification to say that's all Boll does. He IS a good forechecker, there have many times when the 4th line has kept the puck in the offensive zone for some time. Not necessarily generating chances, but keeping the puck in the zone and wearing out the other team.

I'm not going to address your "if fighting..." argument because it seems very far off as a possibility. So, things being what they are, Boll is valuable. It's hard to compare him to Letestu because they are such different players, they are not really interchangeable. You expect scoring out of Test tube, not so much with Boll.

Anyway, someone sees something in Boll, he wears a letter and just got an extension. I agree that I don't think he gets enough credit on this board... Singularity or not

Totally agree. There were some games early in the season where the 4th line was the best line on the ice. And the teammates love the guy, when he fights or gets a big hit, it energizes the team, every team I've ever played on, the tough guy was the most popular guy on the team and kept it loose in the room. Like you said, he's got a letter for a reason, and Dorsett before him wore a letter and Probert in Detroit wore a letter. It's not all about goals and assists as a lot on this board make it out to be. Good post!

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
With this more condensed season due to the Olympic break, the 4th liners need to be playing as many minutes as possible to keep the top 6 forwards as rested as possible, especially for later in games.

Before being injured, Boll wasn't playing more than 8-9 minutes a game and doesn't contribute on the PK or PP.

Recently, Tropp has had the lowest amount of ice time and only played 8:09 min against the Rangers.

Swapping players in and out of the lineup to keep guys rested might be a better option when playing 3 games in 4 night type of situations, like bringing Boll in for games when they might need a more physical presence. But the latest winning streak without Boll shows he isn't needed.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Totally agree. There were some games early in the season where the 4th line was the best line on the ice. And the teammates love the guy, when he fights or gets a big hit, it energizes the team, every team I've ever played on, the tough guy was the most popular guy on the team and kept it loose in the room. Like you said, he's got a letter for a reason, and Dorsett before him wore a letter and Probert in Detroit wore a letter. It's not all about goals and assists as a lot on this board make it out to be. Good post!

Not good comparisons.

Dorsett can play on alot of 3rd lines, he can score 10 goals in a season.

Probert played in the fighting era, scored 29 goals and had 398 pim one season.

Boll is a great guy, a locker room leader I'm sure, but his on ice skills don't touch Letestu's. Letestu is one of 5 players that haven't missed a game all season, he's not going be scratched to put Boll back on the ice imo.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not good comparison's.

Boll is a great guy, a locker room leader I'm sure, but his on ice skills don't touch Letestu's. Letestu is one of 5 players that hasn't missed a game all season, he's not going be scratched to put Boll back on the ice imo.

I'm not trying to dump on Letestu, good guy, was great for us last year, but he has 1 goal in 32 games, Boll has 1 goal in 21 games...I disagree with on ice skills, they are apples and oranges. Letestu can't touch what Boll brings to the ice either, forechecking, hitting, fighting, intimidation...this argument will go on until Boll retires, nobody is changing their mind so it's a useless argument, either you appreciate and get what he brings to the game or you don't and prefer to have "skill" guys on the 4th line. Again I say, winning games isn't all about goals and assists. That's like saying a linebacker isn't as important as a 3rd wide receiver because he doesn't put up points.

This is a good problem to have btw, hope we are 100% healthy and face this issue in a few weeks to a month!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'll take it a step further, I guess in that scenario, we don't need Horton, Bob, Wiz, or everyone's favorite VINNY either!

IDK about that one. I think we need Wiz and Bob. We'll see with Horton, but Gaborik and definitely VP aren't needed it seems. Would love to be wrong about Gaborik though.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Not good comparisons.

Boll is a great guy, a locker room leader I'm sure, but his on ice skills don't touch Letestu's. Letestu is one of 5 players that haven't missed a game all season, he's not going be scratched to put Boll back on the ice imo.

I never thought Boll and Dorsett were entirely comparable; aside from fighting, they were different players on the ice. Do you think Dorsett and Letestu are comparable? (As an aside, a lot of Rangers fans who want to blow up that team include Dorsett on the "keepers" list, which is nice.)

As to the bolded, I would counter that Letestu's on-ice presence doesn't touch Boll's. I'm not dumping on Letestu, either, I really like the guy. He seems like a legit 3rd-liner to me, and his special teams play is maybe his greatest value on this team. Boll is a textbook 4th-liner. If you want your 4th line built like a 3rd line, then that's where you're coming from. Letestu is more versatile, but Boll's role is well-established.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
IDK about that one. I think we need Wiz and Bob. We'll see with Horton, but Gaborik and definitely VP aren't needed it seems. Would love to be wrong about Gaborik though.

I was being sarcastic to an earlier post, we def need Wiz, Bob and Horton, I agree Gaborik isn't needed and might be a hindrance unless his play elevates. and vinny was for my own amusement, haha

thebus2288*

I'd rather see Boll in over Letestu, Mackenzie and Comeau. Dude actually draws tons of penalties. Besides Letestu's shot Boll is just as good as those guys offensively.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm not trying to dump on Letestu, good guy, was great for us last year, but he has 1 goal in 32 games, Boll has 1 goal in 21 games...I disagree with on ice skills, they are apples and oranges. Letestu can't touch what Boll brings to the ice either, forechecking, hitting, fighting, intimidation...this argument will go on until Boll retires, nobody is changing their mind so it's a useless argument, either you appreciate and get what he brings to the game or you don't and prefer to have "skill" guys on the 4th line. Again I say, winning games isn't all about goals and assists. That's like saying a linebacker isn't as important as a 3rd wide receiver because he doesn't put up points.

This is a good problem to have btw, hope we are 100% healthy and face this issue in a few weeks to a month!

I understand, and yes Letestu's numbers have been terrible this season. Boll is a team first guy, and from a marketing perspective, he is one of the faces of the franchise, wears the A. I like the guy , as far as enforcers go, he's my favorite in the league (maybe tied with Parros). I think he picks his moments very well, avoids taking needless penalties, draws alot of penalties, while defending our finesse players. My biased against him on the ice isn't about him, its about my opinion that designated tough guys that can't pose a substantial offensive threat are a thing of the past.

Richard's may agree with me, or not, 4th line minutes here is the issue (not a big deal)...like you said, its a nice problem to have.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anybody have last night's picture that was on NHL.com?

Jenner seemed to be enjoying the post-goal hug a lot more than Arty.

bizzz*

Anybody have last night's picture that was on NHL.com?

Jenner seemed to be enjoying the post-goal hug a lot more than Arty.

455645441_slide.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad