• Or a Sandwich?

Votes: 30 83.3%

• Total voters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I can't speak for Newfoundland donairs, but so far no donair has compared to ones I've had back home in NS. Specifically Halifax.

Yeah, it's probably an Atlantic Canada thing really.

They're pretty fantastic and hard to replicate for sure. Same thing with Garlic Fingers. They're non-existent outside of Atlantic Canada as well(Though something similar exists pretty much everywhere but not exactly the same).

That said, Newfoundland's #1 local only product is Pineapple Crush soft drink, or India Beer :laugh:

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

They're pretty fantastic and hard to replicate for sure. Same thing with Garlic Fingers. They're non-existent outside of Atlantic Canada as well(Though something similar exists pretty much everywhere but not exactly the same).

That said, Newfoundland's #1 local only product is Pineapple Crush soft drink, or India Beer :laugh:
My ex-GF is from NB and she is heartbroken without garlic fingers in Ontario. Donairs on the other hand might be the most disgusting thing I've ever had. Definitely a love them or hate them kind of thing but all it is greasy meat with questionable sauce on a pita

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But the hamburger refers to Hamburg, why should the ham get dropped? Beef burgers don't have ham either.

A double decker pizza is two pizzas. Those can't continue to be a thing, America.

I like a bit of pork in my burgers!

Woah now... double decker pizzas are pretty damn good!

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Gyros are sandwiches, and they don't look like the typical sandwich...

arby-s-adds-traditional-greek-gyro-limited-time.jpg

Was coming here to post for Gyroirard

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I was confused, totally thought I went to the OT thread and the hotdog vs sandwich debate was on round 5691.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I was confused, totally thought I went to the OT thread and the hotdog vs sandwich debate was on round 5691.
Earlier, I wanted to go continue the food talk and went to the OT thread. Was surprised to see none of it was there, thought it couldn't have been deleted, then remembered it all happened in the GDT.

Reactions: RockyMtnRedhawk

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Our donairs are pretty good here in NL but they're better in Nova Scotia. Can honestly say I've never had one in New Brunswick but I had my first Beaver Tail at Magic Mountain as a kid so NB has a special place in my heart for introducing me to that beautiful taste of heaven.

We have the worlds greatest fish n chips and that's really not debatable.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Yep. Whenever I go back home one of the first things I do is get garlic fingers and donairs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My first Donair was in Dover England in 2002. There was this place about the size of a walk in closet ran buy Greek refugies (don't remember what was going on at the time) that was on the way back to the base we stayed at training with the British Paratroopers. That being on the way back from the only club in town that was open until 2AM. All of the bars closed at 10PM and then the club opened up until 2.

The walk up the hill to the Castle/base usually sobered your ass up too.

I've never had anything remotely similar that compared to that Donair. With or without alchohol involved lol. I think I ate one every night at about 230AM for 20+ days straight.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
So mods, on what grounds was my post deleted in the last game day thread before it was locked? ET says a smartass remark, so I simply respond with one about having an earth shattering revelation? I broke no rules, just being a joking smartass in return. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
So mods, on what grounds was my post deleted in the last game day thread before it was locked? ET says a smartass remark, so I simply respond with one about having an earth shattering revelation? I broke no rules, just being a joking smartass in return. Whoever deleted it, you mind explaining the difference?[MOD]

I'm not sure who deleted it, but at the same time, does it really matter? The thread was obviously locked because it was deemed to be getting out of hand. Why bring drama from another thread here?

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Mine used to get deleted all of the time, :laugh:. No reason to take offense. I think the mods around here do a good job, I'm 100% sure I would not want to be a mod.

Is a Donair the same as a Kebab because that shit is good.........

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Same.

Also, sandwich debate? There is no debate. Free sandwich is the best sandwich.

Uhm... I care to differ.

A free sandwich cannot compete with a $15 sandwich in terms of quality or taste. Actually, most of the free sandwiches I get are the crappy supermarket deli sandwiches that are passable, but they're a sad excuse for a legitimate good sandwich. #sandwichelitist

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Sandwich = two separate pieces of bread with a filling

Originally I said hotdog is a subset of a sandwich but I take that back. That's like folding a slice of pizza in half and saying it's a sandwich.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Uhm... I care to differ.

A free sandwich cannot compete with a $15 sandwich in terms of quality or taste. Actually, most of the free sandwiches I get are the crappy supermarket deli sandwiches that are passable, but they're a sad excuse for a legitimate good sandwich. #sandwichelitist

But what about this scenario...a $15 sandwich, but free! One of my former co-workers worked at a famous Montreal deli (I forget which one unfortunately) and every now and again he'd make us all sandwiches. Best case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad