The Vancouver Canucks are officially not frauds.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Vancouver, Nashville, NYI, and Washington are all in the same category for me and this round didn't change my mind

It probably should have? 1 of those teams is advancing while the other 3 head home. I think that speaks more to your mind than the viability of the Canucks. They’re not the favorites, but to lump ‘em in with the losers is odd.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They barely beat Nashville..

Canucks have not been in peak form for a long time. It goes back well before the playoffs even started.

That can be looked at in a glass half full or glass half empty way.

The glass half full message is that they beat a red hot team with their #3 goalie and they didn't even need their A game to do it.

The glass half empty message is that if they haven't found that A game at this point, it's not coming back now, and neither is demko. You are counting on your rookie goalie to keep rolling (assuming no demko) against the most dangerous player the league has seen in decades.

I lean more towards the glass half empty message but I can see why people would have reason to be optimistic.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Canucks averaged 20.2 shots.. 20 .. per game in the series. Even the Sharks averaged 25 in the regular season. Winning a series with that low of a shots/game is the new NHL record. That whole series was terrible hockey, SJ/CHI would've been better.
How many shots per game you get don't don't matter when you win the game.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Canucks have not been in peak form for a long time. It goes back well before the playoffs even started.

That can be looked at in a glass half full or glass half empty way.

The glass half full message is that they beat a red hot team with their #3 goalie and they didn't even need their A game to do it.

The glass half empty message is that if they haven't found that A game at this point, it's not coming back now, and neither is demko. You are counting on your rookie goalie to keep rolling (assuming no demko) against the most dangerous player the league has seen in decades.

I lean more towards the glass half empty message but I can see why people would have reason to be optimistic.
Peak? Vancouver just overachieved and dropped back to reality. It’s not deep. They are still a decent team but let’s not kid ourselves. A stupidly high shooting percentage will do that. Had that been normal, they are no where near the division leaders and likely closer to a wildcard team though still a playoff team.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
They won a single series against a wildcard team. If they get past the Oilers they'll get some respect from me. For now they're an up and coming team and the fans should still be very happy with what they've accomplished this year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Peak? Vancouver just overachieved and dropped back to reality. It’s not deep. They are still a decent team but let’s not kid ourselves. A stupidly high shooting percentage will do that. Had that been normal, they are no where near the division leaders and likely closer to a wildcard team though still a playoff team.

Okay, I'm not not really talking about shooting conversion though. It's just the way they are playing.... how sharp they are in their assignments and forcheck.

I don't think pettersson's game at this time is his "back to reality" form. They need him and I believe they need a healthy demko to take this series as well. Their current goalie is obviously playing well but I think there's a limit there of going to the well too often.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It probably should have? 1 of those teams is advancing while the other 3 head home. I think that speaks more to your mind than the viability of the Canucks. They’re not the favorites, but to lump ‘em in with the losers is odd.
Some people base their opinions more on emotions and their previous issues with a team, rather than based on facts and logic. The poster you quoted is probably going to bang some rocks together to try to make a fire tonight.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: notsocommonsense

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Care to elaborate?

They're right. There were a million threads this season after every Canucks game. When they won, people would say it's fake because of PDO, and when they lost people would say they're regressing.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Nashville was one of the hotter teams coming into the playoffs, and the Kings probably were the worst playoff team by a fair margin.

Either way though, I wouldn't say they are frauds. Certainly in the same category as Oilers where they can win some series but are not an elite team that is a "cup favorite".

But any good team can get hot now.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Anything after this is gravy as a Canucks fan, we were told by other fan bases the play would drop off they wouldn’t make the playoffs, then when it looks like they will make the playoffs well they’re aren’t a playoff team they won’t win 1 round.

Going into the season my honest expectations for them was either a wild card team or finish just outside of a playoff spot not once did I think they’d finish first in the division.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Or pretenders.

The Canucks skeptics last crutch was that they would lose in the first round. Well.... they didn't. So no matter what happens from here, they were simply wrong. And those that got arrogant about it, using language like frauds and pretenders should apologize.

Edit: I almost forgot, PDO!!

canicks.jpg
Keeping in mind Nashville was the worst team in the playoffs by far.

• Wow
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Keeping in mind Nashville was the worst team in the playoffs by far.

They had 7 and 8 more wins than the Caps and Isles, an 18 game point streak and had a GD of +21 while the Isles were -17, and the Caps were -37

They're at WORST, the third worst team.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
They had 7 and 8 more wins than the Caps and Isles, an 18 game point streak and had a GD of +21 while the Isles were -17, and the Caps were -37

West is weak besides a few teams.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
West is weak outside few teams.

You're projecting, the East is extremely top heavy, 3/4 matches finished by game 5. The West's WC seeds included the reigning cup champs and the highest winning percentage team after the all star break. The East had two teams with negative goal differentials.

I know the games are probably past your bed time, but you should try and catch the highlights at least.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Preds finished ahead of LA, and are a much better team than WSH/NYI. They don't have offensive depth but played fantastic defense as a unit. Brunette got them playing very well.
LA is bad too, so I’m not sure that’s some huge accomplishment. Preds went into the playoffs with no shot to win the Cup. One round at most, and they didn’t even do that.

they had 47 wins, 2 less than edmonton. a norris trophy candidate and a jack adams candidate.

what the f*** are u talking about?
Edmonton was terrible at the beginning of the season. They are better now, but you must forget that their full season was nothing special. And despite that, Nashville still didn’t finish above them.

The coach isn’t overpowering a big disadvantage for players. It probably got them in over teams that might have better players, but when a defenseman is the only true star scorer you have then you obviously aren’t that dangerous of a team and can’t beat true good teams.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

In the regular season maybe. To me they were worse than the Caps and Islanders in the playoffs.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
LA is bad too, so I’m not sure that’s some huge accomplishment. Preds went into the playoffs with no shot to win the Cup. One round at most, and they didn’t even do that.

Edmonton was terrible at the beginning of the season. They are better now, but you must forget that their full season was nothing special. And despite that, Nashville still didn’t finish above them.

The coach isn’t overpowering a big disadvantage for players. It probably got them in over teams that might have better players, but when a defenseman is the only true star scorer you have then you obviously aren’t that dangerous of a team and can’t beat true good teams.

Nashville was also terrible at the beginning of the season, they started the year 5-10 and had a better p% than Edmonton did post All-Star break

In the regular season maybe. To me they were worse than the Caps and Islanders in the playoffs.

I disagree, the Isles and Caps had absolutely no chance, at least the Preds took a few games while being heavily outclassed. The Caps couldn't win a game and the Isles choked leads just as bad as the Preds did. The Isles also scored like one third period goal all series.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Vancouver has always had such a whiny and insecure fanbase. What is this thread lol? Who cares what people think about your team?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Vancouver has always had such a whiny and insecure fanbase. What is this thread lol? Who cares what people think about your team?

Meh, there's a lot of people who have never seen the team be good before. There's a lot of survivorship bias when we remember good teams and how much respect there was for them. Sure, I hate the Bruins, Hawks, and Kings but I have a lot of respect for what they were able to do over a 5-10 year period. Before the Canucks 2011 run, they made the second round four years in a row only losing to eventual cup winners and teams with more points in the standings, but people don't remember much of that team outside of the run where they fell short.

They don't realize that a ton of good teams who didn't win the cup (or get embarrassed in the first round) have been largely forgotten because they haven't been around long enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad