• A kitten?

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Or a Sandwich?

Votes: 30 83.3%

• Total voters

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The biggest difference to me is that MacKinnon is figuring out what to do with the puck finally. Remember over the lats 4 years when he'd have the puck coming down that left side like he did vs Ekblad last night his only thought would be to pull up with a button hook and try to force a stupid pass through 4 sticks? Now he knows he can attack and take what is given to him. He's also using his shot more, thankfully.

So true. He still button hooks but its less frequent. I think apart of that is confidence in himself again that he can beat defenders outside using his speed. I'm curious what he did this past summer because he looks as fast as hes ever looked.

Reactions: Foppberg

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
MackinnonmAckinnonmaCkinnonmacKinnonmackInnonmackiNnonmackinNonmackinnOnmackinnoN

Love that guy.

Edit: Same birthday (not year, of course, I'm old) as me by the way.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Know who's quietly been playing a steady, solid game the past while? Zadorov. I rarely have heard his name lately, which is a good thing for a defensive defender.

Also this.

32? That's mildly insane.

I figured Drury would have been higher than Duke. I have to think Mackinnon is top 5 in terms of OT goals for the organization at this point already.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The team didn't win very many games his first 5 years; and it's hard to score GWGs in a loss.

What's crazy about that is, the Avs haven't exactly been President Trophy winners in Macks first Five years in the NHL yet either :laugh:

Imagine if we were a perennial playoff team all 5 years Mack has been here so far like they were with the Duke? He'd probably be at like 35-40 now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Please god let MacKinnon continue this. I'd love to eat crow for doubting him.

If his ability to read the game has taken a step towards realizing his own abilities, and not trying to pull the same move over and over again. He could go from a player that has frustrated me from day one, to my favorite by far. I really liked what he said in the post game last night.

When asked about how good he is playing, he was honest, serious, and critical of himself. It was a nice balance of a calm never be satisfied attitude. Ryker went off about it being a sign that MacK is maturing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Please god let MacKinnon continue this. I'd love to eat crow for doubting him.

If his ability to read the game has taken a step towards realizing his own abilities, and not trying to pull the same move over and over again. He could go from a player that has frustrated me from day one, to my favorite by far. I really liked what he said in the post game last night.

When asked about how good he is playing, he was honest, serious, and critical of himself. It was a nice balance of a calm never be satisfied attitude. Ryker went off about it being a sign that MacK is maturing.
What'd he say?

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
So true. He still button hooks but its less frequent. I think apart of that is confidence in himself again that he can beat defenders outside using his speed. I'm curious what he did this past summer because he looks as fast as hes ever looked.

He has said he came into camp a little leaner instead of bulky

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have a very different evaluation of the guy. I see him bottom sixer.

He's a ~40 pts guy (on a full season) who's defensively responsible and rarely makes any mistake. That's 3rd liner deluxe (ie: closer to 2nd liner than 4th liner).

Either way, he doesn't deserve all the shit he gets on this board.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We have a very different evaluation of the guy. I see him bottom sixer.

He's a ~40 pts guy (on a full season) who's defensively responsible and rarely makes any mistake. That's 3rd liner deluxe (ie: closer to 2nd liner than 4th liner).

Either way, he doesn't deserve all the **** he gets on this board.

I'm 100% convinced he was trying to play through something before they shut him down, which I think is why he's been playing very well since coming back. I think that's why he seemed stuck in 2nd gear to start the season.

It all depends on your definition of "middle 6" guy. I think that, yeah, he could be a complementary winger on a scoring line, a guy who isn't gonna carry the offense on his own but create space/traffic in front of the net and pot a few ugly goals, while providing adequate defense. Ideally they want him to play in a 3rd line role and spot duty on special teams.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Either way, he doesn't deserve all the **** he gets on this board.

Well, if he continues to play like he has after the injury I'm fine calling him a mid 6 guy (3rd liner mostly). Getting above 40 points would make him a complimentary 2nd liner tho. But so far this season he has been a clear bottom six guy. If he was playing through something like @Pokecheque suggested and this is his norm my evaluation is incorrect and he is mid 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad