GDT: Game 31: Oilers @ Flames/7pm MT/March 15

Pie

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
If we could score early and often that would be appreciated but I'll settle for a simple stress free win.

The Flames are barely clinging to chances for a playoff spot... let's give them a little nudge in the right direction.

giphy.gif

Can uh..... Can we do this without murdering a child's father

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Be prepared for a good old fashioned ass kicking from team Darryl Sutter. Maybe that will wake up some of the noodle brains that think the Oilers are a soundly built hockey club headed in the right direction. Probably not, someone will pull out the advanced stats to show Darryl Sutter can't coach hockey in the "new NHL" while our "weak ineffective supporting cast players" have us headed in the right direction because... some geeky fanboy's calculations said so.

4-2 Darryl Sutter, Milan Lucic with a pp goal and Sam Bennett with the empty netter
My coworkers thank you for setting the bar so high for the “dumbest thing I’ll hear today” award.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The key tonight is to not get bogged down by the trap. The trap is the Oilers kryptonite, if they just keep it simple on exits and entries they will be fine. If the Oilers play a simple boring style to counter the Flames simple boring style the Oilers will win, if they try to make dumb east west plays at the bluelines they will lose.

Amazing what two wins against a shitty Candiens team does to the narrative down there. Scrolling through twitter it appears the Flames are now fixed.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The flames problem is not structure. Its depth. Their forwards are awful, no amount of coaching is going to fix that. So enjoy those exciting 2-1 losses flames fans.

Last time Sutter coached the flames he had Iginla, a first ballot hall of famer. Now hes got Johnny Ringette as his offensive leader.

Good luck genius coach, you are going to need it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The flames problem is not structure. Its depth. Their forwards are awful, no amount of coaching is going to fix that. So enjoy those exciting 2-1 losses flames fans.

Last time Sutter coached the flames he had Iginla, a first ballot hall of famer. Now hes got Johnny Ringette as his offensive leader.

Good luck genius coach, you are going to need it.

Their defense is worse than their forward group IMO. Hanifin, Valimaki and Nesterov flat out suck and that's half the defense.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Their defense is worse than their forward group IMO. Hanifin, Valimaki and Nesterov flat out suck and that's half the defense.

You can coach defenseman a lot easier than forwards. Their play is a lot more simpler if you take out all the unnecessary risks and stupid passes.

A coach can improve those aspects and make a defense play better. A coach can't really make an offensively deficient team score more.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Hate to say this but a Sutter lead Flames team scares me. They’ve been playing a tight responsible defensive game. If Sutter game plan works there won’t be much room out there. I don’t doubt McDrai will be able to break through and ge their chances, but our other lines I could see being stifled.

Hugely important series coming up. We could either stomp out the Sutter effect or let the Flames right back in it.
If the Flames execute this game plan, like they have the last 2 games, Oilers need to be patient and play some boring a** hockey as well. The Oilers always fall into a trap of trying to break through, make a turnover, and have it come back for a goal.

If it's tied, that is how you play with a team like that. Wait for a mistake. When you have the lead, it's a different story. That first goal is so important.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I'd really be interested in seeing Yamamoto and Puljujarvi trade places 5-on-5.

With McDrai running the show, Yamamoto hasn't done a whole lot on the line. Putting him on RNH's line gives RNH a player he actually has chemistry with and can be more of a force rather than constantly deferring to McDrai. Puljujarvi is also very good at getting into a shooting lane and better compliment McDrai's playmaking abilities.
That would make the 2nd line worse I think. They will get pinned and in and out every zone entry. need some size there.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
f*** Sutter, we're going to stomp these inbred losers! These games are too important to sleepwalk through, Oilers should've won the last game - this time just hit the empty nets and aim an inch to the left or right and all the pucks go in. f*** Calgary, f*** Sutter!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That would make the 2nd line worse I think. They will get pinned and in and out every zone entry. need some size there.

Could be. Also previous numbers prior to the increased sample size from the last 4 games had shown that McDrai as a duo were more effective with Yamo than JP (though still good). I don't mind them experimenting with it at some point, but I think it would be moreso about finding which is the better fit with RNH.

As you said, JPs size is likely more important to the Nuge line than it would be to McDrai. Ultimately though where that second line needs an improvement is over Ennis (not to say he's bad, but the line needs a little more than he usually brings). If we could trust Turris at Centre at some point again or pick up a Centre near the deadline, could we take a stab at Khaira with Nuge and JP. There is some history of Khaira working well with RNH and/or JP in short stints. With Khaira currently at his most confident, maybe something could work there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad