Post-Game Talk: Game 31: Anaheim Ducks @Detroit Red Wings, 4pm PT, BSSC (Ducks beat the Red Wings and the Refs 4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I get what you’re saying, but 8 points out and 7 teams above us for the last wildcard spot is actually a huge issue.

To get to 95 points of last years wildcard they will have to get 70% of the remaining points. Only 4 teams this year have gotten 70% of their points so far. No chance this Ducks team plays the next 51 games as a top 4 team in the NHL.

They basically have no chance of making the playoffs. Not saying they should tank, but let’s not act like those 8 points is no big deal.
Oh, I don’t expect playoffs. But this isn’t a they’re so much worse than everyone that we should be flailing our arms and running around like muppets, either. I think somewhere in the 80’s is doable With a healthy roster, and that’d be great for the kids IMO.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, I think we’ve tanked enough. I’d like to see some fairly competitive hockey the rest of the season. I do want Henrique and Silfver traded in early 2024 though. I’m good with short term extensions for Carrick and Lybush.
I think Lybushkin will be traded for depth to somewhere at the trade deadline for a pick. I think they be idiots to not re-sign Carrick, there’s nobody remotely like him on the system.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Probably, but I’m hoping for a 1 year extension because he is a physical RHD and a mentor for Minty.

Lyubushkin's been good for us and definitely an upgrade from last year's blueline personnel specials. He leads the team in blocked shots with 77 blocks, Gudas is next with 61 blocks and LaCombe at 52 blocks. On last night's telecast, I think Hazy commented that Lyubushkin communicating with Minty in Russian is a great factor in helping Minty acclimate to the NHL game. It's similar to putting Lundy with Silf on the same line.

I'd like to keep Lyubushkin, but Verbeek really wants specific youths on the NHL club next season. Lyubushkin is a placeholder for Luneau. That's the whole point of keeping Luneau all this while with the NHL club than sending him back to juniors to start the season. And if Verbeek is intending to move Lyubushkin at the TDL, then we might be keeping Luneau with the NHL club after the WJC.

Verbeek did trade a 4th round pick to acquire Lyubushkin from the Sabres. I don't know if he's willing to eat that loss to not move Lyubushkin at the TDL. And with the way Lyubushkin has been playing this year, he would be a great add to any playoff team needed a stay-at-home RD who can PK and block shots. That would probably mean the return is going to be better than a 4th round pick.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Oh, I don’t expect playoffs. But this isn’t a they’re so much worse than everyone that we should be flailing our arms and running around like muppets, either. I think somewhere in the 80’s is doable With a healthy roster, and that’d be great for the kids IMO.
Then it’s more like realism then Nihilism.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I think Lybushkin will be traded for depth to somewhere at the trade deadline for a pick. I think they be idiots to not re-sign Carrick, there’s nobody remotely like him on the system.
Is Gaucher not supposed to be a more skilled version of Carrick? Or is he missing too much of the physicality?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Is Gaucher not supposed to be a more skilled version of Carrick? Or is he missing too much of the physicality?
He doesn’t have the mean streak that Carrick has from what I’ve seen. I’m also not sure he will be NHL ready by next year from the games I;ve seen, granted it’s been several weeks since I’ve watched them. Also not sure he brings the fighting ability.

I also think Carrick has a scoring touch that makes him valuable on the 4th line even if Gaucher makes the team.

Reactions: branmuffin17

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
He doesn’t have the mean streak that Carrick has from what I’ve seen. I’m also not sure he will be NHL ready by next year from the games I;ve seen, granted it’s been several weeks since I’ve watched them. Also not sure he brings the fighting ability.

I also think Carrick has a scoring touch that makes him valuable on the 4th line even if Gaucher makes the team.
I am not at all concerned about fighting ability, but it is nice to have a few guys who can play a hard forechecking game. I was hoping Gaucher might be that, but I think you're right that he'll probably need another year at least.

I'm fine bringing Carrick back for one more season. They could also go the Grant route: trade him to a playoff team at the deadline and then re-sign him in the offseason.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I am not at all concerned about fighting ability, but it is nice to have a few guys who can play a hard forechecking game. I was hoping Gaucher might be that, but I think you're right that he'll probably need another year at least.

I'm fine bringing Carrick back for one more season. They could also go the Grant route: trade him to a playoff team at the deadline and then re-sign him in the offseason.
I don’t think that Gaucher needs to fight. I just think that SOMEONE on the roster needs the ability, and Carrick is willing and able. That’s still needed.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Lyubushkin's been good for us and definitely an upgrade from last year's blueline personnel specials. He leads the team in blocked shots with 77 blocks, Gudas is next with 61 blocks and LaCombe at 52 blocks. On last night's telecast, I think Hazy commented that Lyubushkin communicating with Minty in Russian is a great factor in helping Minty acclimate to the NHL game. It's similar to putting Lundy with Silf on the same line.
I'd swear I read somewhere (or was it a Minty interview with Aly?) that they speak English on the ice because that's what the rest of the team speaks. But I agree that I think the Russian connection between them is beneficial to Minty's development.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I'd swear I read somewhere (or was it a Minty interview with Aly?) that they speak English on the ice because that's what the rest of the team speaks. But I agree that I think the Russian connection between them is beneficial to Minty's development.
Yes, they said that they speak English on the ice, but in Russian to each other on the bench.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Good two periods and finally the pucks are going in. Third with tired legs from back-to-back and killing penalties really just made it a battle of survival in the end. Dostal scoring would've been neat though. Otherwise, couldn't have asked for more. Really hoping they can build off of how this road trip ended.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Yes, they said that they speak English on the ice, but in Russian to each other on the bench.

They also have commented how Bush will have him over for dinner and things like that. Little things like that can be instrumental for a 20 year old kid adjusting to the NHL. I’m all for bringing him back for next season and I see no reason why he can’t be the 7th defenseman. Fowler, Minty, Gudas, Lacombe, Drysdale, Luneau and Lybushkin. That’s still a really, really young defense core and Bush doesn’t necessarily block Zellweger.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I think Bush has shown enough that he deserves more than a 1 year deal or a 7th D assignment. I'd love to have him for insurance and, I really like having him here this year. But I don't think the Ducks will be the best fit for his situation next year.

Reactions: Ducksforcup

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I think Bush has shown enough that he deserves more than a 1 year deal or a 7th D assignment. I'd love to have him for insurance and, I really like having him here this year. But I don't think the Ducks will be the best fit for his situation next year.

While I agree, I don’t think it’s necessarily smart for the Ducks to give him that, maybe two years. He’ll quickly have Drysdale, Gudas, and likely Luneau ahead of him on this team.

Reactions: Deuce22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Really tough to say, I think next season is the start of an over packed defense.

Fowler gudas
Mintyukov drysdale
Lacombe Vaaks
Are basically locks

Then you have guys like
Luneau- already has nhl time, and didn’t look bad, but I think you could argue he could use some time in AHL to work on defense.
Zellweger- prob going to be tough to hold back
Helleson- I think he already somewhat deserves to get a look post deadline
Hinds - little more of a project but I imagine he’s at least close to getting a look

Then there’s a guy like Ian Moore…. He’ll be 22 year old coming out of college, personally I think he’ll benefit from AHL time… but he could also walk to ufa if we don’t give him a trial

So it’s kinda tough to “sign” or bring in a vet…. Unless we shuffle some dmen out…. There is a chance moore walks regardless but that still leaves a packed house on back end.

Reactions: Deuce22

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I missed most of these 2 games and basically only saw moments where we looked bad.

Did we look decent? Were we lucky or convincing?
I thought they had more good moments then bad against NJ and in Detroit, they looked good all things considered, until they ran out of gas

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Most obvious improvement to me over those two games was passing. Much better than it's been since that first part of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad