Game #30: Kings vs. Islanders - 12/7/13 - Regulation Shutout Win! 3-0

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
It's bad enough that he is horrible, and he may be the worst in the league, but what makes it even worse is who he had to replace. The Kings went from one of, if not the best in the business to one of the worst.

RIP David Courtney,the Kings (and Angels) miss you.

I went to a Reign game in Ontario last year - and I don't know who their in-stadium announcer is (was?), but he was awesome. Wish we could've moved him to Staples. At least give the guy an audition...

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Can anyone even hazard a guess what could get an uninjured goalie benched in the last few hours before face off? My imagination is drawing a blank.

Your coach realized he could dress a sack of potatoes in net and it wouldnt have mattered.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The lack of PP success is something I've been concerned about, that's something you need to work esp in close games vs top opponents and in the playoffs. Those goals can prove to be huge difference makers. And the teams that do it well and consistanly, have a set#1 unit that practices together and works at it. Something that Sutter doesn't do. 0-30 should be a concern, but SUtter is not phased, he likes it or rather is 'estactic"

First period , first PP and he doesn't use the #1 unit he rolls two lines and there is nothing at all. The players have said that the more they practice together, the better they get at it, but the coach doesn't believe a #1 unit. And I still don't like Muzzin on the point.

Sutter on the PP

On whether he was happy with the movement on the power play:
Other than the last 1.1 second power play, I was ecstatic.

ON his choices for lines:
On whether any combinations have stood out over the last two games:
Well, the last game we played was three-in-four, so you needed a lot of guys. Tonight you had to shorten it up because of how much they play two dominant lines over there.

huh???

I really wish he'd quit playing mad scientist during the game and even during periods when he just throws guys out there together. You can't get any rhythm that way. hopefully now that Brown had been playing better, he'll reunite Willie and Brown up on the 1st line . They were the top puck possession line in the league for a reason.

Looking forward to Tues game vs Habs, they have been playing great lately (9-0-1 in their last ten; having only allowed 2 goals or less per) and it should be a good game.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
First he said Scrivens would start every game, now he's benched Scrivens for the last 2 games. What the hell is going on???

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
First he said Scrivens would start every game, now he's benched Scrivens for the last 2 games. What the hell is going on???

I think he likes to keep them on their toes and as long as they're winning, that's fine. At some point, he's going to start pissing players off.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I think he likes to keep them on their toes and as long as they're winning, that's fine. At some point, he's going to start pissing players off.

I'm not sure about that just yet. The players really rallied around Jones after that shoot out win and I think it was the logical move. One thing is for certain: we look good in goal.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I wonder how Dan Moriarty would do at PA Announcer :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness I really miss David Courtney. RIP.

It was annoying after games when moriarty said something that sounded like thank you davey. I don't remember if that's what it was or not, but it sucked something awful.

The current guy sounds like the dude they have for the Miami heat. Just way too much. Need to tone it down!

Captain Mittens*

He could be battling an illness. It was a last minute decision and it didn't sound like it was a coach's decision.

My guess was that he pulled some thing out just didn't feel right after warmups.

An illness makes a lot of sense too

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Sutter revealed the reason he started Jones against the Ducks was he didn’t like some habits that slipped into the game of Ben Scrivens, who inherited the starting position after No. 1 goalie Jonathan Quick suffered a groin strain Nov. 12.

“Just little things,” Sutter said. “You can’t do it at this level. You’re going to get scored on. We did a lot of work with Ben at training camp to get him into our program. There’s a reason why we don’t give up a lot of shots. There’s a reason we don’t give up a lot of goals around our net.

“A big reason is the goaltender. If he’s getting away from that, he’s not going to play.”

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Brown and Stoll have always worked well together. Remember Calder Stoll Brown together? Also I still have faith in Stoll. When we got Richards he didn't get the offensive minutes he did before hand so of course his numbers took a hit. He's a good player still just makes a bit too much cash but when the cap goes up again Stoll will be of no concern to me.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Funny when we lose we complain about the players. When we win we complain about the PA guy.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Sutter revealed the reason he started Jones against the Ducks was he didn’t like some habits that slipped into the game of Ben Scrivens, who inherited the starting position after No. 1 goalie Jonathan Quick suffered a groin strain Nov. 12.

“Just little things,” Sutter said. “You can’t do it at this level. You’re going to get scored on. We did a lot of work with Ben at training camp to get him into our program. There’s a reason why we don’t give up a lot of shots. There’s a reason we don’t give up a lot of goals around our net.

“A big reason is the goaltender. If he’s getting away from that, he’s not going to play.”
I dont like that nonsense at all from Sutter. Scrivens is the last player who should be called out like that. His numbers are great, he's playing more than well, and then you must read stuff like that from your coach. What a dipstick.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

“Just little things,†Sutter said. “You can’t do it at this level. You’re going to get scored on. We did a lot of work with Ben at training camp to get him into our program. There’s a reason why we don’t give up a lot of shots. There’s a reason we don’t give up a lot of goals around our net.

“A big reason is the goaltender. If he’s getting away from that, he’s not going to play.â€

^^^ all this shocks me.

Scrivens made less "just little thing" / mistakes much less than Quick had been. I have been pleasantly surprised by both Scrivens and Jones.

Quick could learn a few little things from them, imo (like not over-committing and wildly sliding post to post and eventually swimming on your belly, use a pokecheck once in a while, and realize what an opponents best options are and act/react accordingly)

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
It's just a bit of mild motivation in my opinion. After all he did fall down for no reason in the Calgary game and that ultimately cost us points. Then the rookie comes in and surprises with his quality. Jones earned another start after Anaheim.

The one thing I wonder is if scrivens pending ufa status factors into the equation at all.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
It's just a bit of mild motivation in my opinion. After all he did fall down for no reason in the Calgary game and that ultimately cost us points. Then the rookie comes in and surprises with his quality. Jones earned another start after Anaheim.

The one thing I wonder is if scrivens pending ufa status factors into the equation at all.

This.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
It's just a bit of mild motivation in my opinion. After all he did fall down for no reason in the Calgary game and that ultimately cost us points. Then the rookie comes in and surprises with his quality. Jones earned another start after Anaheim. l.

go down to save an unscreened clean shot from the slot = fall down for no reason

Got it

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
It's bad enough that he is horrible, and he may be the worst in the league, but what makes it even worse is who he had to replace. The Kings went from one of, if not the best in the business to one of the worst.

RIP David Courtney,the Kings (and Angels) miss you.

I didn't want to complain about it so I'm glad some of you brought it up.

The guy reminds me of the Ducks rink announcer who, in my opinion, IS the worst around.

David Courtney sounded excited but GENUINE. Read the names of the players with what sounded like a big grin on his face. His replacement sounds like a someone trying to imitate a rink announcer.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

@reallisa Goalie update - Sutter : 'Scrivens was a little dinged up and he didn't feel right in warmup' mystery solved #maybe

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
^^^ all this shocks me.

Scrivens made less "just little thing" / mistakes much less than Quick had been. I have been pleasantly surprised by both Scrivens and Jones.

What's shocking? Sutter is an actual coach. Not some volunteer at a YMCA and looks at the Game not just the stats. Dude works with the players, particularity the young ones, to make them better but this isn't a popularity contest. If Jones is better Jones is going to play.

Seems just a minor injury though...

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

He's rotating his back up goalies now that Jones appears to be competent enough until Quick comes back in which Jones would go back down and Scrivens would go back to being a back up.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Actually when Jones got called up Sutter said he would play at some point. I know many felt including myself that it was going to be the first back to back and Scrivens was in for both.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
go down to save an unscreened clean shot from the slot = fall down for no reason

Got it

It Should be obvious that I meant the goal where he, you know, fell down for no reason heading into the corner on our power play and gave up calgarys 1st goal.

Most likely scrivens is just a little banged up.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
It Should be obvious that I meant the goal where he, you know, fell down for no reason heading into the corner on our power play and gave up calgarys 1st goal.

Most likely scrivens is just a little banged up.

lol thats even worse. ye, he totally intentionally decided to fall over and give a goal away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad