GDT: Game 26: Columbus vs. New York Islanders | 12/10 7PM

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Sweet Caroline, Good times never seemed so goood, so good so good!!!

2-2 after the 2nd, the Jackets took momentum after getting only two shots in a power play that started the period.. they caught fire, they smelled blood and they put them away. One shift at a time boys.. concentrate on that next faceoff. The D came through tonight like I thought they would last night.. JMFJ SMFJ..so good so good!!!:handclap:

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Great night in the arena. Fun game... Despite the first goal Bob was on his game tonight. He was making some awesome saves look easy at the end of the game. Thought Bjorkstrand was playing alot more loose (in a good way) tonight.

Came home and bought some more cheap seats on Stubhub. Friends who are marginal hockey fans are calling me asking about tickets. Told them you better get them now 'cause this is about to get crazy!:handclap:

Jacket Junkie

Mar 26, 2006
Nationwide Areena
Use to be, come Christmas we were lucky to have 5 wins. Don't look now, but guess which team has the fewest loses at 5? Now it seems like the sixteen year wait has been worth it. This is really fun.

GO CBJ!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The team's ability to push through and or finish a team off is encouraging, but when they've been on their hot streaks (too few and far between) historically we've seen that before.

What I'm seeing that seems different to me is a purpose and an organization on the ice and a commitment to both. I told me buddy last night it's so weird to see things like good plays done on purpose. That was like 10 seconds before Jones' goal.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The team's ability to push through and or finish a team off is encouraging, but when they've been on their hot streaks (too few and far between) historically we've seen that before.

What I'm seeing that seems different to me is a purpose and an organization on the ice and a commitment to both. I told me buddy last night it's so weird to see things like good plays done on purpose. That was like 10 seconds before Jones' goal.

I had a similar incident. After we slopped up the power play to open the 3rd period, I said to the guy next to me "That could come back to bite us...... NAH!" Then Anderson intercepts that stupid pass and buries it.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jackets playing old fashion physical hockey and they look great at the moment - I really miss Torts a lot, and this is from a Ranger fan. I will go so far and say it was mistake to fire him in New York. :(

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm wondering if part of the rationale of the always straight ahead, no d to d approach is to mentally wear down the other club with a constant stream of forecheckers.

The dominant third periods have really been something else. I don't see conditioning as the main reason for that. It looks to me like other clubs just making constant mistakes.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
It's amazing what the CBJ have been doing with zero superstars on the roster (unless you want to count Bobrovsky)

This team has what, two All-Star appearances combined on the entire roster? And they're second in the league in points per game. Incredible.

That said, I think Seth Jones is well on his way to becoming a true superstar, if he's not already there.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Bob is a star goalie when he's healthy and on his game. Werenski is the next closest thing we have to a star, which isn't a bad thing obviously.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Was at the game so didn't see all the replays. In watching the highlights today, I noticed that Savard called the stretch pass that Jack made to Cam for the goal.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Just got home. Great game, great crowd, great time to be a CBJ fan :)

Echoing this. Crowd was the most I've seen since probably opening night. Upper bowl was pretty much packed.

Walking to the car parked in the $5 lot while freezing your a** off is a lot better after a W :D

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Here is the part that shocked/surprised me. Early in the game, like 8:00 in the 1st, the shots were 8-1 for the NYI. About the 8-12 minute mark of the 2nd period, the CBJ began to assert themselves and established a 3-4 shot lead.

The final shots ended up 39-30 CBJ. Than means for the final 52 minutes of hockey, the CBJ gave up 22 shots All of the puck movement, think the game faster, safe is death strategies are helping get more shots. But what really bodes well for this team is THE SHOT SUPPRESSION. I know the entire league thinks of Coach Tortorella as a "block that shot - one trick pony". But what is actually occurring is the defensive spacing, the forwards back checking, and lifting of sticks (and yes, some shot blocking) that are holding down the number of total shots overall.

When you think about it, it only stands to reason. First, John Tavares is a really, really good player. And second, this was the first time this year that the Jackets had seen this iteration of the NYI. It took them a while to settle in against the NYI scheme and attack.

Scoring wins games - defense wins championships.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm wondering if part of the rationale of the always straight ahead, no d to d approach is to mentally wear down the other club with a constant stream of forecheckers.

The dominant third periods have really been something else. I don't see conditioning as the main reason for that. It looks to me like other clubs just making constant mistakes.

That's the impression I've been left with - that by the third period we've just worn the other side down. Suggests that we might stand a decent chance in the playoffs too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad