GDT: Game 25: Stars @ Coyotes | 3-9-13 | 6PM MST | FSN PLUS

Swat Ultra

~Hockey!~
Sep 23, 2010
Northern NH
Hahaha Stars fans are so pissed. I love it.

oie_213713yv_Sn_Wr_CG.gif

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It's amazing what Saturday games can do to our attendance. Nearly a full house (might have been technically a sellout, but there were some empty blocks here and there) and I actually hardly saw any Stars fans in the building. There were some, but fewer than what I normally see at Yotes games.

Lyotes

Aug 8, 2012
Arizona
So hansel will be suspended. They're basically asking for it on NHL tonight. Lesson don't lay hits on star players if you're a coyote.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Why is keeping the puck out of your net boring? I could see Phoenix fans saying that our style of hockey is boring because we only scored 2 goals. But it is up to the opposition to score more goals and thus make it more exciting for their fans. I guess since the Coyotes are boring they should allow an opponent to score. I liked this 2-1, 3 goal total game much better than the 6-3, 9 goal drubbing we took in our last game.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Why is keeping the puck out of your net boring? I could see Phoenix fans saying that our style of hockey is boring because we only scored 2 goals. But it is up to the opposition to score more goals and thus make it more exciting for their fans. I guess since the Coyotes are boring they should allow an opponent to score. I liked this 2-1, 3 goal total game much better than the 6-3, 9 goal drubbing we took in our last game.

High scoring hockey games like most of last season's Penguins-Flyers playoff series I usually only find entertaining because of how funny they are.

My guess based on personal observation is generally that high scoring games have at least half their goals simply come from defensive errors that could be avoided with more discipline and/or better coaching.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Haha, I reckon. Resorting back to the low blows of "Coyotes are so boring" etc etc. Then again, came to expect it. Dallas fans are the absolute worst in the league when it comes to taking a loss.

As the old song goes,

"If you ever get the chance to go to Dallas, take it from me, pass it by."

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It was nice to see the team play as capable. Someone that I talk to often during intermissions said something very poignant a few games ago - the Coyotesd were relying on Smith too much. And that is the reality. Second opportunities were voided by our defense tonight. The past 4 games, those chances were getting 3rd looks or finding the back of the net.

Good atmosphere at the game tonight, too. Crowd was in rhythm and the game was very well played on both ends... too bad the refs missed at least 2 definite calls against the Stars. There were a few others that I didn't like, but understood why no call or call. We have to stop compounding the issue of penalties with the two over the glass tonight.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Why is the hit not on the main boards? From the sounds of it people are pretty pissed. Thought someone wouldve posted it by now.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I poked into the GDT over on the Stars board to see if they were talking about it. A couple of them seemed pissed, but most people seemed to think it was questionable at best or something like "a little late but not suspendable" and someone even called it perfectly clean.

I blame the relatively lower profile of our two teams. If this happened in, say, Boston vs. Philadelphia we'd be at 10 pages in a thread about it on the main board.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
That is very true. And yeah it seems like most on the Dallas board are okay with it. And by most I mean a few :laugh:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Just watched it from here:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659455&navid=nhl:topheads

Atta boy Hanz! Looks clean to me.

My gut says Hanzal will be suspended. Here's why:

1. Benn was injured
2. Player history; previous suspension.
3. Borderline late.
4. Head Contact.
5. Unsuspecting.
6. Hanzal is not a superstar playing in the Eastern Conf.

National Hockey League rules prohibit "a lateral, back-pressure or blind-side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact." (remember Doan's suspension)

While I don't believe he intentionally targeted the head, Hanzal's right shoulder clearly makes contact with Benn's noggin.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's the type of hit the NHL has been very public about removing. I was more shocked that Hanzel didn't garner a penalty at all on the play. It's confusing and confounding.

If the NHL doesn't suspend then they are essentially blaming the victim and from that perspective I was especially frustrated with the hit (I have Benn in my hockey pool) because he cut across the middle with the puck which is an absolute no no.

I've watched the hit a few times. It was a tad late (tenths of a second and I don't believe it was directly targetted to the head but Hanzel being a half foot taller than Benn did make contact with Benn's noggin) IMO and I suspect Hanzel will get the book thrown at him. It's not like our owner is going to complain to the league about the inconsistency.

I also found last night frustrating to watch at times. The linesman seemed to take great pleasure in kicking Hanzel out of the faceoff circle. Seemed like every draw he was getting kicked out.

Last edited:

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Along with rainforests and polar bears, open-ice hits will soon cease to be a living reality and become instead a memory one must explain to one's uncomprehending grandchildren.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If it's in the official NHL highlights package for the game (which it is), it's not considered dirty by the league. I've seen no mention of a hearing for Hanzal, much less a suspension.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Good number, I believe this season is the highest or second highest attendance ever for the Coyotes in Glendale.

According to ESPN, pre BK years all had numbers above 14800 in Glendale. But we all know those numbers were fixed to get revenue sharing so how it actually compares is a trade secret I am sure. Very good crowds this year. Started off rocky but I think season ticket holders are enjoying their purchases.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
According to ESPN, pre BK years all had numbers above 14800 in Glendale. But we all know those numbers were fixed to get revenue sharing so how it actually compares is a trade secret I am sure. Very good crowds this year. Started off rocky but I think season ticket holders are enjoying their purchases.

Yeah there was a video or article I read that said back in the old days they were giving away 5,000+ tickets per game and it has now dropped to less than 500.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Hope so, but the big problem this season has been they can do it for a game or two at a time. Then they revert to doing the same stupid crap they did against Chicago in the playoffs.

Yeah I meant that only in terms of this one game. Consistency has been elusive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad