Post-Game Talk: Game #25: New York Rangers @ Washington Capitals, 7pm ET, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The way most of them are playing, I'd want him as far away as possible.

Please. This team deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I’d like to see a big hit or fight by Trouba. Time for the captain to spark the team. He should’ve gone after Wilson today imo

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just incase we needed a reminder that 30 year old ahl lifer brodzinki is not an nhler. Stop trying to make it a thing

Shesterkin sucked plugs wiring winter’s glove side from the top of the circles is a joke. This guy ain’t it right now

The team pissed away glorious chance after glorious chance (laf totally snake bit right now)

Just a terrible display. This one surprised me. But you have 4 guys that aren’t really nhlers at this point in your 12 forwards you’ve got a problem. We’re asking a ton out of Bonino right now at his age. It’s all catching up to us.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I understand your logic, I don't think it's beneficial to bring him up for 3rd or 4th line minutes.....even if it is for one or two games.
He could pick whatever line he wanted to play on on rw, we got nothing there outside of Laf

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Please. This team deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I’d like to see a big hit or fight by Trouba. Time for the captain to spark the team. He should’ve gone after Wilson today imo
This team has had the benefit of the doubt for three years or so....

As for the spark, Unfortunately, that's not how this team is built. It's sad when you have to depend on one person to provide it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It's not the fact that we lost.
It's the way in which we lose.
It's the same shit the last 3 seasons.

It's just that they're not just losing lately, they're losing bad.

A loss is a loss. Some people make a loss more than it is. It’s 2 points squandered.

Over the course of the year we’re going to have

Wins we deserved
Wins that were 50/50
Wins that were ugly

Losses we deserved
Losses that were 50/50
Losses that were ugly

And a whole bunch in between that shit.

This isn’t the NFL which has 17 regular season games. We’re talking about 82 game season. There are going to be multiple highs and lows.

The only people who make a big deal out of short stretches are potatoes.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Transition game has been terrible for a couple weeks now. Zone exits/breakouts, neutral zone puck support, inability to attack with speed, defensive formations through the neutral zone, having the right number of people back when in the offensive zone, (lack of) standing up at the red line or blue line to force plays.

That's been the biggest issue with their game of late, and all the injuries sure don't help. It's really caught up with them the last two games.

Relative to his actual level of talent, Mika is the worst player on the team right now by far. He'll shoot all day from 50 feet out, but not from the slot (where he'll try to pass). Doesn't use his wrister. Every time the puck makes it's way to him on PP1, it's a turnover. He needs to be told quite simply to shoot the puck or sit. We're a third of the way into the season, this isn't just a "slow start" - he is playing the game fundamentally differently and worse, and he's a 40 goal scorer walking around with an elite shot afraid to use it from in close and somehow seems to think bombing away from distance compensates for that.

The lines do need some juggling in the wake of injuries.

Leave the Panarin/Trocheck/Laf line alone.

Try Kreider with Cuylle and Brodzinski.
Try Zibanejad with Vesey and Pitlick and call that the third line for now.
Have Wheeler with Bonino and Goodrow/Nash. None of those guys can skate, and just try to keep that line off the ice against speed as much as possible until the team starts getting healthier.

Tell Miller everytime he pinches and gives up an oddman rush against, his next contract offer reduces by $10K. $50K if the puck goes in the net. I don't care how many goals he scores, his job is not to constantly leave his partner on an island because he tries to be fancy at the blueline with a bouncing puck, or he goes deep with no forwards anywhere near him and leaves his partner out to dry when the other team comes away with the puck.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Must have been Goodrow's fault...oh wait.
Team is soft! Maloney basically called them soft on the radio in the second period.
I don't mean tough guy soft (which they are but who cares about that) but soft on the puck. Losing puck battles. Heck not even engaging in puck battles. Did we have any second chances tonight in the areas where it matters?

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Must have been Goodrow's fault...oh wait.
Team is soft! Maloney basically called them soft on the radio in the second period.
I don't mean tough guy soft (which they are but who cares about that) but soft on the puck. Losing puck battles. Heck not even engaging in puck battles. Did we have any second chances tonight in the areas where it matters?
This. The team is soft in every facet. They have no fight, no tenacity at all. No one fights for pucks, no one crashes the net, theyd rather tap the opponent on the back than dare dig at a puck around a goalie, theyre afraid to even shove guys after the whistle. At this point, its a locker room culture issue.

Mika and kreider are incredibly soft. Drury desperately needs to target the biggest pricks he can find at the tdl and get them into this lineup and provide a spark. This locker room has turned cuylle from “hey maybe this guy can be like tom wilson” to simply just a bigger body who can skate.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Zero fight to get inside. Getting boxed out and angled away so easily. It's been going on for years regardless of the coaching staff

1st problem. Why ask a team that's not good at going to the inside to go to the inside? Honest question. This coach wants to move the puck North, but to get to the inside you need players adept at moving EW. Now the players are confused when to do what imo (hi Zib).

The 2nd problem is that the D is totally crap at getting pucks to the forwards to work with when they do get inside.

The 3rd issue is that none of the inside plays happen with tempo or are surprising to the opponents. It's standard NHL bullsh*t plays every team faces night in night out and can defend in their sleep.

The alternative of course is to start chopping and trading the forward corps and add some puckmovers to the D corps.

The root problem remains simplistic coaching (lack of imagination). Lavy is good with the defensive structure, but the ES offensive game approach in the o zone is pretty darn stale and standardized with Panarin and Laffy the only guys showing a little different on occasion. I think some people, a while ago, were pointing at this issue as a theme with coach Lavy across teams. It's something the team needs to sort out before the playoffs (not that I think they will).

Reactions: HTFN and Blasds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad