GDT: Game 23: Columbus vs. Ottawa | 11/24 7PM

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This was a great win for us, reaffirms my thankfulness that we did not overpay for Duchy. He is a good centre but not much better than we already have. PLD is not out of place out there. Keep his confidnece up Torts, protect him & don't overuse him & we can wait for Wenny's return

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Agree with you, don’t think this team misses his soft perimeter play style, and his consistent 33% from the face off circle . It’s no coincidence that we are now playing our best hockey without him bogging down our top line . The stark difference Pld has brought to the center position , and the offensive chances he generates with his aggressive play , is night and day , over what Wennberg has been this season . Use him and his good contract , as a piece towards getting Rnh, who plays the game very similiar to Pld.

I know you are a CBJ fan, but please don't kid yourself on Wennberg, he may not fit with Bread but he certainly has a place with our 2nd or 3rd lines - he is talented quit riding his ass.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm not a Wennberg fan but his absence is not the reason the CBJ have gone on a 6 game run.

The Jackets have given up 6 goals in 6 games. Solid defense plus Bob standing on his head have sparked the engine of success.

Attriubting the winning to no Wennberg is about as accurate as those (or I should say "one") who tried (I hope tongue-in-cheek, but I doubt it) to attribute last season's late swoon to the absence of Ryan Murray. Neither assignation of credit or blame is accurate.

That being said, Wennberg is a soft, perimeter player who will never be a #1C.:)
Oh I don’t attribute our winning streak to no Wennberg, but it’s amazing what you can do when your not losing 70 percent of your face offs . And you have players that will get in there and get their nose dirty , and battle . I want nothing more than Wennberg to play better , but anyone who thinks he’s been anything other than dismal this season is kidding themselves , and I’m glad to see the coaching staff holding him accountable .

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm not a Wennberg fan but his absence is not the reason the CBJ have gone on a 6 game run.

The Jackets have given up 6 goals in 6 games. Solid defense plus Bob standing on his head have sparked the engine of success.

Attriubting the winning to no Wennberg is about as accurate as those (or I should say "one") who tried (I hope tongue-in-cheek, but I doubt it) to attribute last season's late swoon to the absence of Ryan Murray. Neither assignation of credit or blame is accurate.

That being said, Wennberg is a soft, perimeter player who will never be a #1C.:)
Pretty much agree with everything here.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What would be said about Foligno or Dubinsky if the team went on a 5-6 game win streak just as they were removed from the lineup?

Would the team be better off with Wennberg playing his usual role, or if he was playing the role Milano has been playing?

Does anybody still think we need to "dump" Murray or Nutivaara to make room for Carlsson?

The urges can be eased at cuteswedeboys.us

You're Welcome

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Six down, ten to go, I guess. It's the right time of year.

I think my favorite moment of the game last night was Foligno's goal. He's in a prolonged scoring drought, he's got a 2-on-1 with the superstar who's sitting on a hat trick, everyone in the building expects him to pass it -- and he pulls off THAT snipe? A lesser man tries to force that puppy in there, whether there's a lane to get it to Atkinson or not. He just makes the smart play and buries it.

Plays like that are what help guys who are struggling to turn a corner.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
One point I wanted to add about Wennberg's injury. A few posts ago I agreed with Cyclones Rock about the current winning streak not being because of Wennberg's absence. But what I think his absence has done is allowed PLD to show himself as a center. When Wennberg returns, he'll step right into his old role while allowing PLD to remain as a center and get Foligno back to wing....at least that's my hope. :nod:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
One point I wanted to add about Wennberg's injury. A few posts ago I agreed with Cyclones Rock about the current winning streak not being because of Wennberg's absence. But what I think his absence has done is allowed PLD to show himself as a center. When Wennberg returns, he'll step right into his old role while allowing PLD to remain as a center and get Foligno back to wing....at least that's my hope. :nod:
which is a very good point, the team will have so many options moving forward.
Panarin-Dubois-Anderson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte/Milano

Also leaves room for change like Bjorkstrand moving to the top line and allowing Anderson to move down to help out another line with his size and speed
Panarin-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Wennberg-Foligno
Anderson-Dubi-Atkinson
Or something along those lines. This group has so much versatility that Torts has no shortage of line combos to try.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Going to repeat myself here, but I sure am glad we didn't gut our team to acquire Duchene. I think I would rather have Brassard back then to have given up Murr, Bjork, Wenny and a couple firsts.. for Duchy. If we make a move we need somebody that controls the puck, so many of these top centres are soft. We need a top centre that plays like a Ryan Getlzlaf.. we need a balls to the wall centre, not a cutesy one. Just my opinion

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Going to repeat myself here, but I sure am glad we didn't gut our team to acquire Duchene. I think I would rather have Brassard back then to have given up Murr, Bjork, Wenny and a couple firsts.. for Duchy. If we make a move we need somebody that controls the puck, so many of these top centres are soft. We need a top centre that plays like a Ryan Getlzlaf.. we need a balls to the wall centre, not a cutesy one. Just my opinion
We have one. He's centering Panarin and Anderson. Just gotta be patient with him

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
which is a very good point, the team will have so many options moving forward.
Panarin-Dubois-Anderson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte/Milano

Also leaves room for change like Bjorkstrand moving to the top line and allowing Anderson to move down to help out another line with his size and speed
Panarin-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Wennberg-Foligno
Anderson-Dubi-Atkinson
Or something along those lines. This group has so much versatility that Torts has no shortage of line combos to try.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't like the Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson line. I think it should be Foligno - Dubinsky - Atkinson and Jenner - Wennberg - Oliver as a 2nd and 3rd line respectively.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't like the Jenner - Dubinsky - Atkinson line. I think it should be Foligno - Dubinsky - Atkinson and Jenner - Wennberg - Oliver as a 2nd and 3rd line respectively.

Amazingly we now have 3 top 6 quality RW's. To have Cam on Dubi's line seems silly to me. You just don't pay almost 6 mill a year for a third liner or shut down line if you prefer (although that is what is happening to Dubi). If one of Andy, Cam and OB could switch to LW that would make the team stronger imo. In addition while OB has many fans here and he is (or at least was) 2nd in scoring I need to see more from to anoint him deserving of a top 6 role over Cam.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

I agree with you, besides the Foligno Dubinsky Atkinson line has had such great chemistry in the past, no reason it cannot do so again. The beauty of what I am seeing here is top to bottom you have some grit, some skill and some shutdown, depending on how you want to play them. Those lines are tough to play against.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
What would be said about Foligno or Dubinsky if the team went on a 5-6 game win streak just as they were removed from the lineup?

Would the team be better off with Wennberg playing his usual role, or if he was playing the role Milano has been playing

So many other variables to consider here. Does getting Wennberg back on the 2nd or 3rd line allow Figs to play the wing where he is generally more effective? Did the player replacing Dubs or Figs immediately make the game changing impact? If so do we get even better dropping Dubs or Figs back in the lineup and bumping one of the pups to to Cleveland. We don't need a dominant one man scoring machine if the entire team plays closer to their individual bests. If Wennberg is healthy and inserted back in the lineup and he hasn't adapted to our aggressive style of play.. in other words if we need him to jump in yet find him jumping back then sit him back down.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So, Barkov. :D

I appreciate your enthusiasm and dreams of getting Barkov, I really do... because it would be awesome... and I know you probably know this too ....

but its about as unlikely as landing JT from the Isles so could we give a break for lil bit ;) ;)

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
........... But what I think his (Wennberg) absence has done is allowed PLD to show himself as a center.
I felt that PLD was on that trajectory anyway. It's just a matter of what route is traveled to arrive at the destination.

.... I sure am glad we didn't gut our team to acquire Duchene.
Me too!
I think I would rather have Brassard back then to have given up Murr, Bjork, Wenny and a couple firsts.. for Duchy.
I wouldn't mind Brassard back here, but I miss Wild Bill (scoring exploits and his 24% shooting % aside). Dood could kill penalties and Wennberg was happier.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I appreciate your enthusiasm and dreams of getting Barkov, I really do... because it would be awesome... and I know you probably know this too ....

but its about as unlikely as landing JT from the Isles so could we give a break for lil bit ;) ;)
Nonsense, if i'll say halva-halva often enough it's definitely getting mouth sweeter. :nod::D

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I felt that PLD was on that trajectory anyway. It's just a matter of what route is traveled to arrive .
Probably true, but I think the trajectory was accelerated. Sometimes Torts needs the nudge it gave him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad