GDT: Game 23: Columbus vs. Ottawa | 11/24 7PM

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Great win, definitely fun to watch when they're winning.
Beating good oponents, and the weaker teams they're supposed to.
And still missing Matty and Wennberg too!

Let's make it 7 in a row on the 27th.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Solid game...

Start of the 3rd period was a bit sleepy/on our heals for my taste but Cam got the fun going.

Decent crowd at just over 17K.. traffic was surprisingly light after the game though... maybe everyone was headed out for a post game refreshment?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Boy was I wrong about Anderson this off season.... He MIGHT be the best player on the team right now. When he gets the puck and he sees a lane, there's nothing thats going to stop him from getting there and at light speed. Holy shit is that kid fast... And huge.

Really agree with those that have said he has Nash potential if he can play like this throughout his career.

The guys sitting around me were really critical of Milano tonight, while I agree he could've played better, they were saying how he needs to be benched next game after he missed that saucer pass. I think he looked decent and does a good job of keeping his feet moving while he's out there. I think his mind is going faster than his body because he's constantly fumbling over himself and the puck.

Also, was it just me or was the arena really loud tonight? It was pretty full, but definitely some empty seats. Definitely excited to see how it compares to next Friday

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Boy was I wrong about Anderson this off season.... He MIGHT be the best player on the team right now. When he gets the puck and he sees a lane, there's nothing thats going to stop him from getting there and at light speed. Holy **** is that kid fast... And huge.

Really agree with those that have said he has Nash potential if he can play like this throughout his career.

Also, was it just me or was the arena really loud tonight? It was pretty full, but definitely some empty seats. Definitely excited to see how it compares to next Friday
Wonder if Torts has Hagelin flashbacks with Anderson. Doesn't get much PP time because he plays like his pants are on fire and everything is 100MPH. Dude is so good 5v5 but if he ever learns to slow down when needed he will be even more of a beast moving forward

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Did some analyzing of stats after the game.. gonna try to start to post stat facts after every game.

Matt Duchene: absolutely brutal night. For a guy who has been so vocal about being stoked for a fresh start, his play tonight was totally uninspiring and I’ve been a big fan of duchy for a while now. He played 15 minutes, was a -2 with just 1 shot. His CorsiFor % was 35 which would’ve been the worst on the CBJ tonight, to put into perspective.

Tyler Motte: absolutely loved his game tonight. Thought he was the second best forward, Cam being the first. Motte not only had a goal but was a +3 on the night despite the fact that he had just 9:45 TOI (second least of all skaters, only Schroeder played less than Tyler).

Markus Nuutivara: WHO HAS TAKEN OVER NUUTI’s body for the past 5 games?! Kid is oozing confidence. In his last 5 games he has 4 points. Easily the best stretch of his entire (young) NHL career.. I’ll repeat, Nuti has 4 points in 5 games. Jack Eichel has 4 points in his last 8 games, to put into perspective.

As far as 5v5, it wasn’t even close. The Jackets dominated at even strength, the most dominating 5v5 performance the Jackets have had all year... CorsiFor % at 5v5... CBJ: 59%. OTT: 41%.

Last but not least:

Andy played superbly. Absolutely carried Artemi and PLD. Andy led all skaters (on both teams) in corsi for percentage at 69 percent. Insane. PLD looked overmatched at times and was pushed around easily tonight, I thought.. which is unusual for him. Artemi went unnoticeable aside from the turnover which led to that Ottawa goal. Very bad play by bread. His defensive play this season has been above par but tonight, it was brutal at best (I know, AP isn’t a defensive minded forward but still gotta hold peeps accountable.:sarcasm:

12 points out of.... wait for it.... 12 points in the last 6 games for our Jackets. All is well in the capital. :thumbu: Good night to all.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I thought that Ottawa stole the momentum away form us for the firs 5-7 minutes of the third period. I was kind or worried. But Cam's goal seemed to wake the entire team up and we played well the last half of the third period. But this game was much closer than the 5-2 score indicates.

Milano needs to loosen the grip on his stick. He is playing waaaaayyyyy too tight now.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I have NOT been on the Wennberg bashing bandwagon, but even I cannot deny the team has been playing better without him.

Yeah.. this team is not hurting the least bit without Wennberg. Coincidence or not, they literally seem to be playing head and shoulders better w/o Wenny.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Panarin's turnover that lead to a goal seems to have killed his TOI. Think Torts is mad?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Interesting thing, at least for me, you look at Gulutzan and Boucher, and if you will have to guess who's gonna own his shit about loosing and who's gonna whine about reffs, you would pick G for latter and B for former, well i would. Turned out it completely opposite. Gulutzan said they played the better team and Boucher was whining about reffs and puck luck.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am glad others are finally noticing what I have been saying for a while: Wennie the Pooh and his passive perimeter presence adds nothing of value to this team. And adding him to the lineup will make the team worse because guys like Motte or Schroeder who play with passion and desire will sit while Wennie goes through the motions of being an NHL hockey player.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I am glad others are finally noticing what I have been saying for a while: Wennie the Pooh and his passive perimeter presence adds nothing of value to this team. And adding him to the lineup will make the team worse because guys like Motte or Schroeder who play with passion and desire will sit while Wennie goes through the motions of being an NHL hockey player.
Yeah adding a 60 point player back into the lineup doesn't help at all. :rolleyes:

Just because the team is winning without him doesn't means it's because hes not here, I guess the team doesn't need Calvert either. Seeing as how they've been playing just fine without him in the lineup.

Wennberg was trying to play through a slump combined (or caused by) an injury, gimme a break.

Reactions: We Want Ten

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Home for Holiday first time in Nationwide in over 10 years last night....forgot how much
I enjoy the arena area and miss CBJ home games.

section 109 right near the cannon....great time 5 goals....extra cannon blast after the reviewed goal

If Wennberg and Panarin can get on track, get Calvert back this team can be dangerous

Anderson is a beautiful thing to watch skate into the zone with the puck

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Agree with you, don’t think this team misses his soft perimeter play style, and his consistent 33% from the face off circle . It’s no coincidence that we are now playing our best hockey without him bogging down our top line . The stark difference Pld has brought to the center position , and the offensive chances he generates with his aggressive play , is night and day , over what Wennberg has been this season . Use him and his good contract , as a piece towards getting Rnh, who plays the game very similiar to Pld.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Yes, the team is winning without Wennberg right now. Make no mistake though, they're not winning because Wennberg isn't there - there are a lot of guys who are picking up their game that are responsible for this. This team still needs a confident, and healthy, Wennberg playing center ice. Fans are way too eager to pile on these guys.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
i like how this short stretch of games gets to fit into some peoples narratives, but it does so, so incorrectly. This team has been winning every game 2-1 or 1-0 just because they scored 5 this game doesn't mean they've been doing it. This offense hasn't been scoring without wennberg in the lineup, just like it wasn't when he was in the lineup.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
i like how this short stretch of games gets to fit into some peoples narratives, but it does so, so incorrectly. This team has been winning every game 2-1 or 1-0 just because they scored 5 this game doesn't mean they've been doing it. This offense hasn't been scoring without wennberg in the lineup, just like it wasn't when he was in the lineup.
Ottawa has given up at least 3 goals in their last 6 games so its not like we had an offensive outburst.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm not a Wennberg fan but his absence is not the reason the CBJ have gone on a 6 game run.

The Jackets have given up 6 goals in 6 games. Solid defense plus Bob standing on his head have sparked the engine of success.

Attriubting the winning to no Wennberg is about as accurate as those (or I should say "one") who tried (I hope tongue-in-cheek, but I doubt it) to attribute last season's late swoon to the absence of Ryan Murray. Neither assignation of credit or blame is accurate.

That being said, Wennberg is a soft, perimeter player who will never be a #1C.:)

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad