Post-Game Talk: Game #23 - Anaheim Ducks vs Washington Capitals, 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks lose, 4-5, Patches would be mad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Bob Murray would’ve already done something by now.

Rebuild Murray wouldn't have done something. Why? Because we already had witnessed 2019-2021 (until Nov).

2019: Finished 8th, drafted 9th.
2020: Finished 5th, drafted 6th.
2021: Finished 2nd, drafted 3rd.

Right now, we're still in the middle of a rebuild, breaking in a new coach, breaking in several rookies, and breaking in a new concept of part-time players to speed up the rebuild.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
If the power play scores on just a single of the 5 PP, they at least get a point. If the PK kept the worst PP in the league at bay, they win this game. Pointing out a single player is garbage
He also made a few fantastic saves.

Reactions: ducks8

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We lost the special teams game against Washington.

PP
Anaheim: 0/5​
Washington: 2/6​

Non-PP Scoring
Anaheim: 4 goals​
Washington: 3 goals​

Anaheim has been piling up penalties all season long as they have the most TSH opportunities in the league, which I shared on page 3 of this GDT before the game started. They added eight more last night. We had five penalties in the 3rd period, but only 4 TSH. Those 3rd period penalties will kill most chances for a comeback.

Gm 23, 3rd period penalties.png

(Courtesy of ESPN Gamecast.)

TBF, that canceling penalties between Gudas and McMichael, there should have been an extra penalty for too many men on the ice at the very least as there where three caps on one duck while four caps were still playing the game.

Here's a tidbit by Derek Lee on his article about last night's debacle:

“You can’t expect to win games––I don’t care if it’s 2-1 or 5-4––taking the number of penalties we take at the time of the game that we take them. It’s unacceptable, quite frankly. I don’t know what the solution is but they’ve got to figure it out on their own. Until we stop doing that, we don’t have a chance at winning games. You just can’t keep taking hooking and holding penalties.”
“At the end of the day, we can’t keep taking penalties,” said Cronin. “We took four penalties in the third period. That’s absurd. Two nights ago (in Vancouver), we take one when we’re pressing at the end of the game. Most of them are these lazy penalties where guys’ sticks are right up into (the opposing player’s) hands and they’re easy to call. I told them (after the game tonight): ‘I don’t know what else to say to you, we keep doing it, it’s called insanity’.”

No solution to the penalty taking problem is something I didn't expect to hear.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
We lost the special teams game against Washington.

PP
Anaheim: 0/5​
Washington: 2/6​

Non-PP Scoring
Anaheim: 4 goals​
Washington: 3 goals​

Anaheim has been piling up penalties all season long as they have the most TSH opportunities in the league, which I shared on page 3 of this GDT before the game started. They added eight more last night. We had five penalties in the 3rd period, but only 4 TSH. Those 3rd period penalties will kill most chances for a comeback.

View attachment 776205
(Courtesy of ESPN Gamecast.)

TBF, that canceling penalties between Gudas and McMichael, there should have been an extra penalty for too many men on the ice at the very least as there where three caps on one duck while four caps were still playing the game.

Here's a tidbit by Derek Lee on his article about last night's debacle:

“You can’t expect to win games––I don’t care if it’s 2-1 or 5-4––taking the number of penalties we take at the time of the game that we take them. It’s unacceptable, quite frankly. I don’t know what the solution is but they’ve got to figure it out on their own. Until we stop doing that, we don’t have a chance at winning games. You just can’t keep taking hooking and holding penalties.”
“At the end of the day, we can’t keep taking penalties,” said Cronin. “We took four penalties in the third period. That’s absurd. Two nights ago (in Vancouver), we take one when we’re pressing at the end of the game. Most of them are these lazy penalties where guys’ sticks are right up into (the opposing player’s) hands and they’re easy to call. I told them (after the game tonight): ‘I don’t know what else to say to you, we keep doing it, it’s called insanity’.”

No solution to the penalty taking problem is something I didn't expect to hear.
Hmm sounds like they have tuned out Cronin? Thats not good

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Dude if people that USE INTERNET FORUMS TO DISCUSS THE TEAM are getting tired of this shit imagine how the casual fan is feeling? Holy hell, Anaheim Ducks being moved to Quebec City by the end of the year confirmed E4?

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I was encouraged by last night's game (and by the one before against the Canucks). There are still plenty of areas to clean up, but they mostly played well.

Gibson needed to make a couple more saves, Killorn and Terry need to figure out what the back of the net looks like, and they need to take fewer penalties. But they're moving in the right direction.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shocked no one made a thread in the mains yet.

Kinda hoping someone does, but it has to be from a non-Ducks fan.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
When do we start putting some blame on Cronin? I'm just not seeing much improvement/changes over this 10 game losing streak.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
When do we start putting some blame on Cronin? I'm just not seeing much improvement/changes over this 10 game losing streak.
They certainly have played better the last two games, outshooting both the Canucks and the Capitals, and outplaying both for large stretches of game time.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
they would've beat vancouver if they had just a bit of puck luck. so many chances that hit the post or demko got lucky on

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Ok, but outshooting doesn't mean much when most of the SOG are point shots where the goalie can see most of them. The scores of some these games vs SOG are pretty lopsided. So, gotta look at quality of shots and obviously goaltenders, too. I will admit several goals last night were pretty lucky by the Caps, though. 10 games, guys... 10 games.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Ok, but outshooting doesn't mean much when most of the SOG are point shots where the goalie can see most of them. The scores of some these games vs SOG are pretty lopsided. So, gotta look at quality of shots and obviously goaltenders, too. I will admit several goals last night were pretty lucky by the Caps, though. 10 games, guys... 10 games.
The Ducks also outchanced the Capitals last night - they had 56% of the expected goals at 5-on-5. And it's been nine games, not ten.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Rebuild Murray wouldn't have done something. Why? Because we already had witnessed 2019-2021 (until Nov).

2019: Finished 8th, drafted 9th.
2020: Finished 5th, drafted 6th.
2021: Finished 2nd, drafted 3rd.

Right now, we're still in the middle of a rebuild, breaking in a new coach, breaking in several rookies, and breaking in a new concept of part-time players to speed up the rebuild.
I never said it would be right or wrong for our gm to make a move now, only that Murray would’ve already made a move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad