Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs @ Bruins - Show some urgency

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Ventured over to the Bruins board, quite a few are feeling over confident if not down right cocky . I hope we ****ing beat them even more now

deleteme24

Leafs for cup
Sep 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
So who's in and out?

I would gladly take Mac out. Just because.

Then take one of Mclaren or Orr out.

That leaves you with a spot for Frattin and Colbourne (who should have been in the lineup already IMO)

As for the defense, I would try Gardiner in lieu of our national Kostka. Kid as to be given at least a chance in the playoffs.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I have my beliefs as to why Carlyle dresses the players he does especially on D where it's more about brawn and playing safe this year which has got to the point it's taken flow away from transitioning into playing offense effectively as five men units. The lack of smarts, skill & speed on the point is also a reason why they don't cycle effectively, the cycle isn't just the 3 forwards who are involved, The D men play a vital role in it and they play way too safe in order to sustain the cycle .

It wont be popular around here but I believe this "SAFE & BRAUN" D core Carlyle has in place defensively is do to not believing in his goalies that they need to be protected more than one likes, that's why Nonis was knocking on the door for a goalie not so long ago.

Yes they get out shot but like many others have said most of those shots are perimeter shots and that's the effect of the brawn on the blue line.

The issue that has crept into the Leafs game now for some time is that this "BRAUN HEAVY" blue line is effecting the offensive flow of the teams game and Boston feasted on it in game 1.

The adjustment is clear for Carlyle but does he trust Reimer enough to do it? Reimer has been great since the trade deadline but those goals he gave up leaking through Reimer is the concern in why they play so safe in the first place with the strategy defensively to not chase, keep everything on the out side, block shots and collapse to protect the goalies from facing shots from the slot. We shall see but if both Gardiner and Liles don't dress next game it's clear to me anyway the coaching staff isn't sold on Reimer.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I still fee like Frattin should be in there. After the showing we saw from him back in last years AHL playoffs he should be given a shot at least.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not so sure its the sense of urgency that was lacking... I think it was the urgency that made the Leafs play so poorly (Coughing up the puck, getting out of position, etc).

Once they got hemmed in their zone, they stopped skating, I agree... but I think the Leafs need to be more technically sound... make those crisp passes, and play their game... speed and physical. We missed the speed last night.
I agree. The Leafs need to play a more calm game. If we do what we've done for the majority of the season, we can beat the Bruins.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Hey look at that; the repeat crowd is crying about the coach.... again.

What a shocker!

"I can't believe the coach doesn't follow my NHL13 strategies; what a newb!!"

Do you guys even listen to yourselves? Holy hell.

Same crowd begging Carlyle to seek coaching advise from James 'the reporter' Mirtle how to avoid being exposed by the Bruins :laugh:

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I hadnt seen obyrne before the leafs, but from what ive heard he doesnt have a mean streak, though does look effective along the boards. if carlyle could get him to be mean he would be very effective against the bruins merciless forecheck.. Would like to see him and gardiner in the lineup.

Think frattins energy and ability to hit and score would be welcomed to the bottom 6.

Dont expect a win saturday, but if the buds can show effort and stay in the game id be happy.. A win would blow my mind.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hadnt seen obyrne before the leafs, but from what ive heard he doesnt have a mean streak, though does look effective along the boards. if carlyle could get him to be mean he would be very effective against the bruins merciless forecheck.. Would like to see him and gardiner in the lineup.

Think frattins energy and ability to hit and score would be welcomed to the bottom 6.

Dont expect a win saturday, but if the buds can show effort and stay in the game id be happy.. A win would blow my mind.

Well, expect to be blown away :)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I just finished the Game Day Thread. (I know it's early, but, eh. why not, right?)

if someone (anyone) knows what the line up COULD be, let me know, and I'll update it.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Carlyle has had 2 practice sessions (and probably an optional morning skate tomorrow) to prepare for Saturday. If the leafs play the same way they did Wednesday, I'm giving up on this team, and this coach; Especially if he doesn't ice the best lineups possible.

So, just what are your qualifications to judge an NHL lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad