Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs @ Bruins - Show some urgency

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
I still beleaf.

Carlyle kost us the game from his stupid lineup decisions. Although I do understand that there were minor injuries to consider for overplaying Kostka but KOSTKA over O'Byrne??? I have no idea why he keeps playing this guy after he continually proves he doesnt deserve another shot. When I saw him in the lineup yesterday I knew the outcome of the game already...

Penalty Kill Icing*

Can't get any worse, only way is up from here.

*please add Pre-Game Talk: prefix to thread

Well, we can always pull off an Isles against Pens.. or Reimer and Kessel getting injured and out for season?

@OP: Its not urgency, but Leafs who need to show up.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'm not so sure its the sense of urgency that was lacking... I think it was the urgency that made the Leafs play so poorly (Coughing up the puck, getting out of position, etc).

Once they got hemmed in their zone, they stopped skating, I agree... but I think the Leafs need to be more technically sound... make those crisp passes, and play their game... speed and physical. We missed the speed last night.

mikebel111*

I'm not so sure its the sense of urgency that was lacking... I think it was the urgency that made the Leafs play so poorly (Coughing up the puck, getting out of position, etc).

Once they got hemmed in their zone, they stopped skating, I agree... but I think the Leafs need to be more technically sound... make those crisp passes, and play their game... speed and physical. We missed the speed last night.

agreed, leafs need to play a simple game,
don't play something that your not
way too many stupid pinches,

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Grabovski, JVR and the fourth line were the only players who showed up last game. Hopefully we see everyone for the rest of the series. We simply cannot afford to have cameos from Phil, Kadri, and Dion sprinkled across the series. They need to show up every night.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
A lineup change is definitely needed. Sit McLaren, put in Frattin, have a Lupul-Kadri-Frattin line, that should be a solid line since both Lupul and Frattin are strong guys who can go fish for the puck and Kadri is good at carrying the puck and passing it off. Keep the first line the same, they'll be fine especially since JvR is in beast mode. The third line, M-G-K. If Grabo continues to play the way he did last night, good things will happen for that line.

And the fourth line, Komarov-McClement-Orr is solid and can get the job done.

Take out Kostka, put in O'Byrne or even Gardiner. Keep Fraser as the #6 guy and don't play him more than 15 minutes, increase the minutes for Liles, Gunnarsson and Phaneuf.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Scheduled practice at 1:30. Still not out,probably reviewing Game 1.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I wonder what Franson's status is for game 2

*edit: nvm

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Don't see Franson on ice for Leafs. Not expected to skate, but tests show no structural damage to foot. Bruise.

i2edAlien

Apr 10, 2010
A lineup change is definitely needed. Sit McLaren, put in Frattin, have a Lupul-Kadri-Frattin line, that should be a solid line since both Lupul and Frattin are strong guys who can go fish for the puck and Kadri is good at carrying the puck and passing it off. Keep the first line the same, they'll be fine especially since JvR was not in beast mode. The third line, M-G-K. If Grabo continues to play the way he did last night, good things will happen for that line.

And the fourth line, Komarov-McClement-Orr is solid and can get the job done.

Take out Kostka, put in O'Byrne or even Gardiner. Keep Fraser as the #6 guy and don't play him more than 15 minutes, increase the minutes for Liles, Gunnarsson and Phaneuf.
That whole transition that lead to the second GA could've been easily avoided had JVR not decided to ignore the puck and go for the interference/hit. And wtf were they thinking, changing one of the players while going on the back check ON THE PK, I'm not going to fault him on this one but JVR was so lost as to who to cover because of that.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post. I don't understand why Kostka was out there instead of O'Byrne or Gardiner.

EDDIE20*

Agree with this. They were really off last night once Boston started to apply pressure in their zone. The Leafs can play a hell of a lot better than this.

jbell886

Sep 6, 2009
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 52s

No Kessel at Leafs practice; Hamilton filling in at his spot with JVR-Bozak

jbell886

Sep 6, 2009
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 33s

Grabovski centres koarov and mcclement while colborne is between frattin and macarthur. Mclaren and orr are extras. #tmltalk

Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 41s

On the blueline the only no-shows are mike kostka and cody franson. #tmltalk

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Pound for pound, and with both teams playing the best possible hockey, the Bruins are a much, much, much, much, much better team than the Leafs are.

It's not even close.

I think everyone is guilty of looking at the way the Bruins limped into the playoffs, and thought that the Leafs had a bit of a chance. But any doubts the Bruins had in their game (goal scoring, performance of their big players, and their physical play) all went out the window yesterday with that game.

The Leafs don't stand a chance. The Sens never stood a chance against the Rangers last year, but somehow forced them to 7 games and earned a ton of plaudits.

Can this team do anything like that? No way. Not unless Boston take their foot off the pedal, because as we saw last night, if the Bruins want to play the right way, the Leafs will have no answer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Don't forget Kessel had a wrist problem after crashing into the net. The trainer tapped up his wrist.

Likely a maintenance day for him.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 33s

Grabovski centres koarov and mcclement while colborne is between frattin and macarthur. Mclaren and orr are extras. #tmltalk

Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 41s

On the blueline the only no-shows are mike kostka and cody franson. #tmltalk

No Franson. No Kessel yet at practice.

Help?

I'd be careful reading too much into today's practice stuff.

Sounds like they did several hours of video this morning, and it's two days off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad