GDT: (Game 2) Home Opener: The suckiest suck that ever sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The part that sucks the most for me is that this team more than ever needs some practice time right now, and of course we are playing 3 in 4 to start the year. Any other year, I'd love having a lot of hockey right away, but right now I just wish they could work on systems so they don't look so bad during games.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
This better be the last stench of Hartley's "system". Because this isn't acceptable. No ****ing excuses after that 1st period.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The part that sucks the most for me is that this team more than ever needs some practice time right now, and of course we are playing 3 in 4 to start the year. Any other year, I'd love having a lot of hockey right away, but right now I just wish they could work on systems so they don't look so bad during games.

And it will be soul crushingly bad if we lose to the Nucks..

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010

I do agree. Training camp was kind of a mess with players not able to play, new system etc etc and it carried into the season. Damn.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
On the bright side Wideman did play the least of all d-men, hopefully that's an indicator that he'll be scratched for Kulak tomorrow.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Well in the grand scheme, 0-2 isn't the worst thing in the world. Recoverable. And frankly there's nowhere to go but up based on the team's play so far. So there's that...

But it looks ****ing brutal after how last season started.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I thought a few Flames had good games:
Tkachuk and Bennett played well.
Backlund - Frolik played well.
Chiasson - Stajan played great.
Versteeg had some good moments, Johnny had some good moments and some not so good moments (as to be expected for a guy playing with his team for all of 4 days).

Dougie had a good game, I thought he was our most reliable guy along with Jyrki; That pairing was great for us; still scratching my head how they thought that was a good move sitting Jyrki yesterday. Engelland played a stellar depth role (he could really be a good 3rd pairing asset for us).

The top line was really 'meh' together. I thought Mony had a bad game, I thought Ferland and Bouma had pretty mediocre games, but then again, they're both energy guys; they both need to crash a lot more. Brouwer was pretty invisible.

On defence Brodano wasn't great. Wideman was an absolute dumpster fire. I get tired of ragging on the guy, but just brutal tonight. He's so god damn slow it's ridiculous. Low IQ plays, low speed... you literally had a guy who was a liability every time he stepped on the ice tonight. You can't have a guy who's only worth is a slap shot on the point. You just can't.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I wish we could have gotten rid of Wideman in the off-season and signed Russell.

Our pairings would be great.

Giordano-Brodie
Jokipakka-Hamilton
Russell-Engelland

Ugh.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
See you guys in 20 years. Already 200% done with Oiler fans with the "McDavid > Gaudreau lololol". 4th rounder vs Generational 1OA. Those ******* should understand how crazy lucky they got and let McDavids play do the talking. As long as he is on Edmonton we wont stand a chance really.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wideman tonight reminded me of former Flame, Anton Babchuk. Even slower though.

Also I have trouble hanging either of these losses on Elliott. He made some solid saves tonight.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
especially when speedsters are intercepting passes to him and are off to the races because he's SO slow.

He's lost a ton of speed. Even in a 50/50 on the line, it'd end up being a breakaway.

I've kind of mentioned it before; I think the Flames really need to play a more defensive first game... Dare I say trap type game. You have a mobile D (when Wideman and Grossmann are securely planted in the pressbox) and I'd head to head any team in the league's 3/4th lines against ours.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Id like to see Carey ****ing Price put together a decent outing with the amount of dangerous chances we've given up so far.

I thought Elliott had an okay game.

Not much you're going to do with 2 breakaway goals (on 5 tries tonight :laugh:) and a cross-crease one-timer.

There wasn't a goal that I was screaming at Elliott tonight for.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah you REALLY cannot blame Elliott at all for those goal. The Letestu breakaway, MAYBE, even then it went thru his legs and off his skate....
our Defense has been very sub-par. When Engelland looks like your 2nd best Dman...you've got a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad