Darnell Nurse - Eric Gryba

Cam Talbot
Jonas Gustavsson

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Elliott plays better, we don't fall asleep on a line change, we don't gift them goals, Gaudreau gets more involved, we don't throw our hands up in the air instead of whacking in a loose puck, the refs don't favour McDavid as much, and we win.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think Elliott plays better, we don't fall asleep on a line change, we don't gift them goals, Gaudreau gets more involved, we don't throw our hands up in the air instead of whacking in a loose puck, the refs don't favour McDavid as much, and we win.

Sounds good to me.

Some practice time for our top line is much needed. Mony's rusty and Johnny/Versteeg don't know be system yet. Hopefully they click soon..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sounds good to me.

Some practice time for our top line is much needed. Mony's rusty and Johnny/Versteeg don't know be system yet. Hopefully they click soon..
I'd actually split them up until they know the system better. I would put Chiasson with Monahan and Gaudreau Friday.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think last change is going to be a significant factor in Edmonton's favour. They're kind of a one-line team right now, so if we can get Backlund's line against McDavid's at every chance, it should free up our top line to get some more room and chances.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I think last change is going to be a significant factor in Edmonton's favour. They're kind of a one-line team right now, so if we can get Backlund's line against McDavid's at every chance, it should free up our top line to get some more room and chances.

Yeah if there was one shining light, Backlund and Frolik just had their way with their powerplay. They'd be a good shutdown line against McD (if there even is one).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Good to know the game isn't tonight then. I just assumed it was a GDT and didn't read.

I would argue on the one line team thing when you look at the stat sheet. I will give you that they are the line that stirs the drink so to speak.

Yeah if there was one shining light, Backlund and Frolik just had their way with their powerplay. They'd be a good shutdown line against McD (if there even is one).

Backlund line and Brodano against McDavid's line please.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would argue on the one line team thing when you look at the stat sheet. I will give you that they are the line that stirs the drink so to speak.

Why would you look at the stat line, though, instead of what you saw? Blatant turnover, failure to cover a d-man leading to a two-on-one, and ref interference on a clearance attempt mark the three non-McDavid-influenced goals, and Kassian's goal which was assisted by McDavid was a bad change giving him a breakaway.

I know it does a bit of a disservice to those players, but I would not say they earned those goals, and I don't think they showed throughout the night an ability to create chances themselves.

I have also been wondering if Gulutzan will load up the top pairing to shut down McDavid.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The #1 reason I don't want to have Giordano and Brodie together is thate ****ing stupid Brodano moniker

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Why would you look at the stat line, though, instead of what you saw? Blatant turnover, failure to cover a d-man leading to a two-on-one, and ref interference on a clearance attempt mark the three non-McDavid-influenced goals, and Kassian's goal which was assisted by McDavid was a bad change giving him a breakaway.

I know it does a bit of a disservice to those players, but I would not say they earned those goals, and I don't think they showed throughout the night an ability to create chances themselves.

I have also been wondering if Gulutzan will load up the top pairing to shut down McDavid.

Because that is like saying the Brouwer didn't earn his SH goal because it was a bad pass. Or that Chiasson didn't because it was a goaltending error.

There is taking advantage of an opportunity presented by another team, and then there is capitalizing on it. Might be splitting hairs, but that's just my two cents.

As a whole, we need to play better defense, be able to actually make passes (because god was it painful to watch us make a pass unless Brodie did it, and even then he wasn't himself) and figure out how to stop McDavid without taking penalties.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Because that is like saying the Brouwer didn't earn his SH goal because it was a bad pass. Or that Chiasson didn't because it was a goaltending error.

There is taking advantage of an opportunity presented by another team, and then there is capitalizing on it. Might be splitting hairs, but that's just my two cents.

As a whole, we need to play better defense, be able to actually make passes (because god was it painful to watch us make a pass unless Brodie did it, and even then he wasn't himself) and figure out how to stop McDavid without taking penalties.

What I mean, though, isn't that the Oilers only have one line that can score, but rather that they have only one line that we need to worry about matching up. Any line in hockey will score goals if given easy opportunities, but only one or two per team will score goals just by consistently dominating shifts.

Last year, I'd say the Flames were a one-line team. This year, hopefully the Bennett line provides another dangerous one.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What I mean, though, isn't that the Oilers only have one line that can score, but rather that they have only one line that we need to worry about matching up. Any line in hockey will score goals if given easy opportunities, but only one or two per team will score goals just by consistently dominating shifts.

Last year, I'd say the Flames were a one-line team. This year, hopefully the Bennett line provides another dangerous one.

Okay gotcha, we're on the same page now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad