GDT: Game 2: Columbus vs. San Jose 10/15 7PM

Eikka

May 21, 2015
What a encouragin period. I've never said this before but Prout has been good. Nutivaara is ahl bound once murray is ready.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So at around the 4:00 mark Savard makes a poor play (tried to glove a bouncing puck) at the offensive zone blue line leading to a odd man rush in which the Sharks almost score. Then a couple of minutes later he commits a penalty that pretty much seals the game. That on top of that huge gaffe in the first period.

Please don't tell me that guy is solid.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good games: Anderson (was going to say this before he scored), Bobrovsky, Calvert, Werenski, Saad, Foligno. Seriously, I think Matt Calvert was the best player two games in a row.

Bad games: Dubi, Nutivaara (AHL bound I bet), Savard, Gagner. Jenner and Prout were bad at the start but fine in the end. Really, Prout had his hands full covering for Nutivaara, which I did not expect.

Dubinsky would still do some nice things like win a puck battle on the wall but then ten seconds later let his man drift away to get a scoring chance. He's not mentally dialed in. Torts is going to have to cut his minutes.

What were the lines in the last half of the game?

Saad - Wennberg - Foligno
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Jenner - Anderson
Gagner - Karlsson - Bjorkstrand ? Did we see this trio or were they just benched?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So who is Corn, and who is Peanut?

You'd think Nutivaara would be Peanut, but he's been more like Dingleberry so far.

Bobrovsky gave us a chance to win. Wennberg, Anderson, Calvert, Saad, Werenski, Jones and even Atkinson were good tonight. Dubinksy was good on faceoffs if little else. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Prout was actually serviceable.

Our special teams are decent. The goaltending is solid. Their speed with the puck and passing is much better than previous years and their mental approach to the game is heads and shoulders over previous seasons.

The defensive coverage needs to improve dramatically and (Billy Davidge reference) "our best players need to be our best players."

Bottom line, we're going to be alright.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Good games: Anderson (was going to say this before he scored), Bobrovsky, Calvert, Werenski, Saad, Foligno. Seriously, I think Matt Calvert was the best player two games in a row.

Bad games: Dubi, Nutivaara (AHL bound I bet), Savard, Gagner. Jenner and Prout were bad at the start but fine in the end. Really, Prout had his hands full covering for Nutivaara, which I did not expect.

Dubinsky would still do some nice things like win a puck battle on the wall but then ten seconds later let his man drift away to get a scoring chance. He's not mentally dialed in. Torts is going to have to cut his minutes.

What were the lines in the last half of the game?

Saad - Wennberg - Foligno
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Hartnell - Jenner - Anderson
Gagner - Karlsson - Bjorkstrand ? Did we see this trio or were they just benched?

If not for Saad, then yeah, I'd say Calvert was the best Jacket on the ice. The Saad-Wennberg-Foligno line that was together by the end of the game was pretty dominant and really should have had a goal. Anderson played with a lot of energy and used his size well. Still doesn't seem to have a natural scoring touch but he can be useful without it (see: Calvert, Matt). Werenski also is way too good to be just 19. That shouldn't be allowed.

Now the bad: Jenner was just dreadful in the first period. Looked listless, would turn the puck over and then glide back on defense while the Sharks set up an odd-man rush. He got better as the game went on though. Prout was Good Prout, which means he was only responsible for one goal against, and even that one not entirely. Savard made up for Prout's relative okayness, though. Only reason we're not all calling for his head right now is Bob was spectacular and a lot of that was covering for Savard's mistakes. And major, you're right on Dubi. He was almost a non-presence tonight.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Well, look at it this way. There are like 6 other teams without a win so far, and Chicago got their first last night. I doubt they were panicked at 0-2.

Now I am not saying we have the talent of a Chicago team, what I am saying is that it isn't time to throw in the towel yet.

Glad to see Zach and Anderson pot a couple of goals but damn we need the veterans to wake the hell up. Jenner has been bad since the pre-season started. He needs to kick it up a notch or two.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Felt alot more encouraged leaving the arena last night than after the Boston debacle Thursday.

Thoughts...

Love the speed

Mistakes are ending up in the back our net (Dubi/Jenner line again)

Bob has been good

Prout looked good

Game looks a little rich for Nutravi (SP), If you really need that spot Kukan is more servicable IMHO

Savard is struggling with this style

Not sure what to make of the front end, Saadd had some good moves, Bjorkstrand looked a little better but was largely absent. Need to put the puck in the back of the net.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Werenski. I'm afraid this little monster. He's going to be big star soon.
I don't bother about season, win/loss streaks as usually for us ( team and fans:)), defence need some tortoothie mix :sarcasm: we simply must keep 0.5 pace in the long run

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I know some may disagree, but Werenski's play reminds me a lot of Roman Josi with the way he can control the play both offensively and defensively.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Felt alot more encouraged leaving the arena last night than after the Boston debacle Thursday.

Thoughts...

Love the speed

Mistakes are ending up in the back our net (Dubi/Jenner line again)

Bob has been good

Prout looked good

Game looks a little rich for Nutravi (SP), If you really need that spot Kukan is more servicable IMHO

Savard is struggling with this style

Not sure what to make of the front end, Saadd had some good moves, Bjorkstrand looked a little better but was largely absent. Need to put the puck in the back of the net.

Yeah why is he not here? I'm guessing I just didn't see a bad game or something from him because he always looked more competent to me. Kukan has the exact skillset for the type of game Torts is trying to play, and he doesn't make the mistakes that the green Nutivaara is making.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah why is he not here? I'm guessing I just didn't see a bad game or something from him because he always looked more competent to me. Kukan has the exact skillset for the type of game Torts is trying to play, and he doesn't make the mistakes that the green Nutivaara is making.

Here here! :yo:

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

Yep, on opening night the 5th goal reminded me of Lyle Odelein or Rusty Klesa getting beat.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
One thing that stood out for me at Saturday nights game was how much Bjorkstrand gets pushed around and seems razzled right now.

Hopefully he finds his bearing fast, we need him to contribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad