"Oh hey, are lineup looks pretty good."

*looks at SJs lines*
"Well crap. Nevermind."

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Gonna be watching this one on the laptop while watching the Buckeyes on the big tv. Hopefully this will end as an enjoyable night.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Looks like a mismatch on paper. Only hope is Bob....nevermind. Third line pairing per Porty is Prout and Nutivaara - that's so bad.

Over/under on attendance with OSU playing at the same time? I say about 15,000 announced but 11 or 12 actually there (I'll be one of them).

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Didn't get to post in last GD thread but there were several players that looked timid and over matched. I was very disappointed in Bjorkstrand, Gagner, Hartnell and Jenner in particular. Bjorkstrand was a really big disappointment for me.

I know it's one game so I'm not jumping off but the overall level of play needs to step up tonight. Much tougher game and can't slip into the "zone" like last year start.

I'm going to go against the grain... CBJ 4, SJS 3.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So, let's suck less.

It was kind of refreshing watching the first game. I was there and just enjoyed the game, I didn't care what the result was. I'm refusing to get upset watching the team play, just enjoying the game. I have no expectation for this team, so they really can't let me down. Refreshing.

Sure I'll give team and player analysis, but at least I won't drive myself crazy with the results.

As far as the game goes, I'm just hoping we play a solid two way game. Don't really care if we win or not. This team already looks like a team that could go sideways fast with a lot of collateral damage to the coaching staff and front office.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
So, let's suck less.

It was kind of refreshing watching the first game. I was there and just enjoyed the game, I didn't care what the result was. I'm refusing to get upset watching the team play, just enjoying the game. I have no expectation for this team, so they really can't let me down. Refreshing.

Sure I'll give team and player analysis, but at least I won't drive myself crazy with the results.

As far as the game goes, I'm just hoping we play a solid two way game. Don't really care if we win or not. This team already looks like a team that could go sideways fast with a lot of collateral damage to the coaching staff and front office.

Pretty much my approach. I just hope to see the rookies AND vets play better.

My only difference is that I don't think anyone's job will be in danger this year. Who knows though.

CBJ 4
SJS 3

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
My only difference is that I don't think anyone's job will be in danger this year. Who knows though.

I think that will just depend on the level of suck we display. Also, despite their declaration, opening night was not a sellout. Heck I got an isle club level seat on Monday.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
This is a must win or the 0-8 streak is going to be sweating, with Chicago and the west coast looming. I'm not watching this one live, in Nashville to watch another of my teams play for the top draft pick, the Browns. Maybe me not being there will be good luck. We've always played the physical teams better.

Go Jackets/Browns/Buckeyes/Indians!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

They will blame someone if we start 0-8. Maybe Torts will blow a gasket, maybe they will blame it on one of the vets (ala IDWT blaming our road performance on Whitney), but they won't be able to not blame anyone.

My hope is they finally start looking at the President, GM and ownership. We've turned over the roster many times, turn over coaches every other season. It's something fundamentally wrong that is bigger than the 19 guys playing each night.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
My hope is they finally start looking at the President, GM and ownership.

Look at the ownership? Umm, who is going to do that and what would be the results of looking at them? It's not like anything can really come from that.

I'm fine with JD, however if things continue how they are going he's going to have to take a hard look at JK.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Why is Murray out. I missed the game after mid second period so maybe I missed an injury?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Look at the ownership? Umm, who is going to do that and what would be the results of looking at them? It's not like anything can really come from that.

I'm fine with JD, however if things continue how they are going he's going to have to take a hard look at JK.

The fans have to look at ownership. Much like the Browns (NFL), sometimes the fans need to quit accepting that ownership has any ability to build a winner. At times the fans have to look at incompetence at the top and make decisions (dollar driven). If the fans start calling ownership out they will need to change (which can happen), or they can add/change talent to the front office to help them become smarter, or they can tell the fan to pound salt. Speak with your wallet and ownership will have to change.

But if you accept that our team is a bottom 4 team and we can't do anything about it - then accept it. Keep buying tickets, keep watching passionately, just keep hoping. Just every other team (except Edmonton) goes from bad to playoffs pretty quickly.

Now honestly I keep buying tickets, but my care-o-meter is pretty low any more and my expectations are to see how we're going to find a way to lose, not watching them to win. I think it is terrible upper management and/or ownership. We've tried a lot of coaches, lot or players, we've always been a young team (rarely traded draft picks) and usually said we want to be gritty/hard to play against, etc. So I don't think we are building the team the wrong way (thru the draft) I just think we are a badly mismanaged franchise.

But yes I believe the fundamental problem with the team is at the top. Ownership and very senior level management sending wrong messages, picking wrong players and coaches, and never learning how to be successful, just repeaing same stuff over and over, and every few years starting over again (new GM, new coach, roster turnover, etc)

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
Another ugly game me thinks. I think the reports have been right that CBJ will finish last and Torts will be fired before the end of November.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Another ugly game me thinks. I think the reports have been right that CBJ will finish last and Torts will be fired before the end of November.

Nah. They're all in on Torts. He's got this year.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Sharks as we like :yo:. I bet on own win ( because Sergey enjoy to shine against California teams) CBJ 4:1

ps Torts, Torts. Be ready to come together our Via Dolorosa (because Kekalainen should be fired with/before Torts) :laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
But yes I believe the fundamental problem with the team is at the top. Ownership and very senior level management sending wrong messages, picking wrong players and coaches, and never learning how to be successful, just repeaing same stuff over and over, and every few years starting over again (new GM, new coach, roster turnover, etc)

I think you're spot on. McConnell probably keeps the team because of his dad and Nationwide is just doing what it perceives to be its civic duty and also to keep property values up in the arena district where it has a significant investment stake from what I understand. I don't think that the ownership isn't well-intended, but I'm almost certain that they're not passionate about the team nor do they know much about hockey.

Problem is that there doesn't appear to be a person, or group of persons with the means to buy an NHL franchise who have that passion in Columbus. I doubt McConnel or Nationwide would have a problem selling the team to an interested local buyer.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The only dynasty in the current NHL first sucked their way into high draft picks and then lucked their way into an identity by hiring Joel Quenneville four rounds into the season. I doubt there is really a vision or reasoning behind the next Blackhawks head coach despite the previous fortunate events. Just another coin flip. I don't know if there is any organization in this league which has all-inclusive foundation in place from where they can build on. Blue Jackets have at least the draft similar to the old world Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad