GDT: Game 18: Columbus at Boston | 11/14 7PM EST

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
I'm really mad. And I never mad when the team puts poor effort. But tonight they played really good hockey, in the 2nd period they dominated Boston. We need those points badly and just let them slip away.
Well, if you wanna put this loss on someone, look at Americans. Cam and Jack. Wiz as usually with a few dumb defensive plays like throwing the puck through the middle of his own zone and other bad decisions.
Finally a good game from Nikitin. His smartness allowed the Jackets to tie the game up and he was good in all aspects.
Foligno has shown again how important he is for this team. Even if he didn't score a goal.
Murray and Joey are the future cornerstones for this franchise. Can't be more pleasant about the kids.
And still mad at Cam.

Yeah, those dam Americans...

Last edited by a moderator:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
we win tomorrow, 3 points out of playoff spot. Ledge jumpers take a look

I agree, we are showing signs of turning it around, and we still have 3 top 6 players out. When we get Calvert, Jenner and Horton back, barring no other injuries, we will be faster and tougher to play against and all three bring a scoring touch. I'm hopeful, I hate to beat a dead horse, but the only downside overall was Gabby still not dangerous or scored, I saw a slight uptick in his hustle though, I think it's good for him to be on the 3rd or 4th line right now, he might get a chance to play against some of the other teams lesser players and get his mojo back. Here's hoping anyway...

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
Keep Chaput in the line up some how! He really deserves to stay with the way he is playing! Probably cuz he is Canadian though. If he was an American, he would be terrible.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I agree, we are showing signs of turning it around, and we still have 3 top 6 players out. When we get Calvert, Jenner and Horton back, barring no other injuries, we will be faster and tougher to play against and all three bring a scoring touch. I'm hopeful, I hate to beat a dead horse, but the only downside overall was Gabby still not dangerous or scored, I saw a slight uptick in his hustle though, I think it's good for him to be on the 3rd or 4th line right now, he might get a chance to play against some of the other teams lesser players and get his mojo back. Here's hoping anyway...

Starting out this bad and still only being 5 points (hopefully 3 tomorrow) is pretty astonishing. Imagine if we go on a hot streak and peel off 5-6 in a row?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Need to be better on the PP. The refs gave us a few favors (probably wrong word but whatever) that we didn't capitalize on. Other than that, kept up with a very solid Boston team.

Impressed:
Bobrovsky was very solid tonight. Made a couple of key saves. Didn't give up many rebounds.
Foligno. We need him in the lineup and we can see why.
Umberger. He played fairly well tonight. Had an element of speed on the forecheck and made decent passes for once.
Johansen. Hit a post, was one of our biggest offensive threats all night, carried the puck, made nice passes.
Atkinson. Wasn't as much of a threat offensively but did a very good job with the speed and not getting knocked off the puck.
Dubinsky. Solid game, don't like him being too much of an agitator but was probably our best forward (if not Johansen).
Chaput. He's acclimating well to the game.
Murray. Need I say more? Very good at both ends of the ice tonight.
Savard. He was strong. Obviously making a case to not be the healthy scratch anymore.

Unimpressed:
Gaborik. Needs to get going. Either he's in a slump or he's lost a step offensively.
Anisimov. Has been fairly flimsy defensively and has been quiet offensively. Need much more.
Johnson. Yeah he's a warrior and takes the hard minutes but he needs to either bring more offensively or tighten up defensively. I don't read into +/- much but it's just as much about contributing at one end of the ice as the other.
Tyutin/Nikitin. They're becoming less of a factor in my opinion and that's not good. They are being surpassed by Murray, Wisniewski's offense, Johnson's play (good and bad), and the battle between Prout/Savard. We need Tyutin and Nikitin to step up.

Starting out this bad and still only being 5 points (hopefully 3 tomorrow) is pretty astonishing. Imagine if we go on a hot streak and peel off 5-6 in a row?

Imagine if we go on a hot streak only to miss out by a tie-breaker because our horrid start killed us.

Last edited:

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
We're not as bad as our record, and not as good as we fantasized.

I don't blame Bob. Lucic is a beast.

Shots from the point -when you're covered- are stupid. We take too many of them every game and got burned.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have not seen the past 4-5 games so I defer to the evaluation of Gaborik which has been repeatedly stated on this board. I am surprised, however, by this lack of production since he started the season kind of on fire.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Shots from the point -when you're covered- are stupid. We take too many of them every game and got burned.

You're not alone in that thought, this is from Puckrakers:

Atkinson was the highest Blue Jackets' player in the zone when he lined up the puck and rocketed it. Knowing this, the shot he took -- while pure of intent -- was actually quite risky.

"The one thing you can’t do when you’re the last guy in the zone … your shot can’t get blocked," Richards said. He then let out a long sigh: "It can’t get blocked."

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Gaby put up several good shots...i hope we keep same lines tonight...Chaput getting moved up on a more skilled line was earned and i liked what he brought...gonna be hard to send him back to springy when the time comes...

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Not including Horton, we've been down 3 of our top 9 forwards. These particular 3 guys seemed to be high-energy, bring it every night guys. I do think once they are back in the line-up, the wins will come.

Someone check the stats for with and without Foligno, his presence has mattered far more than I thought it would.

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
It does feel a lot like last year. "We suck here come the first overall." To "Well were competing hard we're just losing these one goal games." So hopefully we can do like last year and get on the right side of those one goal games.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
I agree, the CBJ are not as bad as their record. But the losses are adding up and the team is digging a big hole to climb out of.

They are also seeing quite a few backup goaltenders. Its obvious, opposing coaches recognize the CBJ have a difficulty in scoring. The team needs to earn some respect.

bizzz*

Hey now, Foligno and Dubinsky are Americans.
But Dubinsky has a Russian last name and he's from Alaska, which was part of Russia till Ekaterina II sold it to the US for 1 mil. bucks.
And Foligno's father is Italian-Canadian who was raised in Italy playing soccer!
They're not like those typical hamburgerseating Americans :sarcasm:

just dot take this serious

Yeah, those dam Americans...

"American" is just a common future of the 3 guys who disappointed me the most last night. There's no generalization toward the whole nation in my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I agree, we are showing signs of turning it around, and we still have 3 top 6 players out. When we get Calvert, Jenner and Horton back, barring no other injuries, we will be faster and tougher to play against and all three bring a scoring touch.

I agree Missing Horton is big. Jenner and Calvert I guess could be viewed as top 6 players on the CBJ and most AHL teams, but I can't use them as an excuse. Put another way we have guys to fill their roles. But Horton can't be replaced by depth in the long or short term.

The team finally played well last night. Just got beat on the road by a better team. Sometimes you play bad and win, other times you play good and get beat.

As someone else mentioned this team is not the team many fantasized about. But if we stay close and get Horton back it will be a big shot in the arm. Just hope that Bob catches fire and Gabby gets into a groove.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
This is starting to look a lot like last season. I'm pretty sure last year, that 13 game point streak started 1-0-2, and many here were complaining about a lack of scoring/lack of bounces going our way. Once they do, it'll start to go a lot better, as it did last year.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I agree Missing Horton is big. Jenner and Calvert I guess could be viewed as top 6 players on the CBJ and most AHL teams, but I can't use them as an excuse. Put another way we have guys to fill their roles. But Horton can't be replaced by depth in the long or short term.

(snip)

I think Jenner, Foligno, and Calvert have (to use a bad analogy) higher revving motors than others out there. I hate to say it, but it seems like Atkinson really takes cues from his linemates concerning his intensity level. Put him out with Dubinsky or Calvert, he flies. When he's out with Gaborik, he floats more.

It isn't necessarily the skill the missing pieces bring, but rather the intensity and energy level. There are guys who push teams (either through actions or words), guys that are a distraction/detriment (Commodore, Carter), and guys that tend to float along in the middle. You get too many of the middle floating types and not enough of the pushers and the team will not perform to the best of its abilities.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Another well played game, I'm glad I tuned in last night to watch it.

The wins will come, I know its frustrating, but they will. The main thing is this, we are playing solid hockey again and that is tantamount to success.

I don't want to pick anyone apart, some guys had better games than others, but everyone is buying in and putting it out there. Cam is young, as I was reminded last week on the boards, those mistakes will be made and you have to move on.

Chad Johnson was huge for the B's, plain and simple we again were the better team on the ice. Maybe its time Bob stole us a game or two like these backups in WSH/BOS did for their teams.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

I think Jenner, Foligno, and Calvert have (to use a bad analogy) higher revving motors than others out there...It isn't necessarily the skill the missing pieces bring, but rather the intensity and energy level. There are guys who push teams (either through actions or words), guys that are a distraction/detriment (Commodore, Carter), and guys that tend to float along in the middle. You get too many of the middle floating types and not enough of the pushers and the team will not perform to the best of its abilities.

I don't think Calvert and Jenner, at this point, are top six players; but their absence has forced fourth-liners onto the third line and brought up some guys from Springfield to fill the gaps (I do think Chaput looks like he will eventually contribute, though, and we might not have realized that, before). I agree with cbjgirl that what is missing is energy and intensity, and those three (Foligno, Calvert, and Jenner) are key suppliers. For that matter, Horton, too, is that type of player - better, more skilled, with a winning NHL record; but very similar in style to Foligno and Jenner, in particular.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Amazing how much better this team plays with Foligno in the lineup. It may not really seem to help in W-L (5-7 with, 1-3-2 without), but they sure look better to me when he's out there.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
The Washington and Boston games felt like the road trip in January last year, where we didn't win any games (maybe one?), but were good in all of them, and probably were a little unlucky. That came right before the season ending run began.

The team did a lot of good things in the last two games against pretty good teams. Hopefully that's a trend that is going to continue tonight.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think Calvert and Jenner, at this point, are top six players; but their absence has forced fourth-liners onto the third line and brought up some guys from Springfield to fill the gaps (I do think Chaput looks like he will eventually contribute, though, and we might not have realized that, before). I agree with cbjgirl that what is missing is energy and intensity, and those three (Foligno, Calvert, and Jenner) are key suppliers. For that matter, Horton, too, is that type of player - better, more skilled, with a winning NHL record; but very similar in style to Foligno and Jenner, in particular.
Agreed, having Horton, Jenner and Calvert back into the lineups won't necessarily make our top 6 better on skill alone, it's more of a depth thing which makes other teams have to try and make sure they have the right lines out there at the right time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think Jenner, Foligno, and Calvert have (to use a bad analogy) higher revving motors than others out there. I hate to say it, but it seems like Atkinson really takes cues from his linemates concerning his intensity level. Put him out with Dubinsky or Calvert, he flies. When he's out with Gaborik, he floats more.

It isn't necessarily the skill the missing pieces bring, but rather the intensity and energy level. There are guys who push teams (either through actions or words), guys that are a distraction/detriment (Commodore, Carter), and guys that tend to float along in the middle. You get too many of the middle floating types and not enough of the pushers and the team will not perform to the best of its abilities.

Good analysis. I hadn't really thought about it this way before, but you can see how it affects our tempo.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
watched the CBJ feed yesterday... love the commerical with Dubinsky talking about comparing CBJ building to MSG (not in sarcastic the least)

The shots of the crowd and the one older bearrded guy in particular swinging his arms screaming looks great.

Good luck on the year guys, just wanted to say that commerical made me smile, thought it was awesome!!!

Murray looks like a real stud btw!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad