GDT: GAME #18: BRUINS @ LEAFS | FRI 10-NOV @ 7:00 PM ACC | TSN4/FAN590

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Friday NHL preview: Boston Bruins at Toronto Maple Leafs

Bruins and Leafs open home-and-home set at Air Canada Centre.

Friday NHL preview: Boston Bruins at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

kadri_bergeron.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

kadri_bergeron.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

Leaf Nazem Kadri and Patrice Bergeron of the Bruins keep in touch when the teams met last March. They'll square off again Friday at the Air Canada Centre, and Saturday in Boston. (Steve Russell / Toronto Star) |

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Fri., Nov. 10, 2017

AIR CANADA CENTRE
FACEOFF:
7 p.m.
TV: TSN4
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Bergeron/Kadri
Boston’s Patrice Bergeron is exactly the type of player Leafs coach Mike Babcock has in mind when he says “play the game right.” The veteran centre — who scores, checks and excels defensively and on faceoffs — was a key part of two Canadian Olympic champions coached by Babcock. . . . Leaf Nazem Kadri, meanwhile, has become one of the better two-way centres in the league and is also on pace to beat his career high of 30 goals. If these two are on the ice at the same time, it will be a treat to watch how both operate.
NEED TO KNOW
The teams meet again Saturday in Boston. … The Bruins dropped to 6-5-3 after losing 4-2 to the New York Rangers on Wednesday. Coach Bruce Cassidy laments the fact that his club often starts slowly, then competes hard over the final 40 minutes. … Star winger Brad Marchand has missed two games with an upper-body injury and is day-to-day after hits by Washington’s Tom Wilson and John Carlson on Sunday. … The Bruins are also missing David Krejci (back), David Backes (colon surgery), Ryan Spooner (groin), Noel Acciari (finger) and Adam McQuaid (broken leg). . . . Goalie Tuukka Rask’s backup, Anton Khudobin (lower body), is also day-to-day. With games on back-to-back nights, the No. 2 goalie is expected to see action, so Zane McIntyre might be called up. . . . Zdeno Chara moved into fourth on the list of games played by a Boston defenceman with 834 on Wednesday. . . . As usual, Boston boasts solid special teams: ranked sixth on the power play, third on the penalty kill.
UP NEXT
Saturday at Boston Bruins, 7 p.m.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Atlantic games are too important. Wouldn't be surprised if Matthews and Andersen played both and then got 4 days off.

I totally agree about Atlantic games. If we lose 2 to Boston, that puts us neck and neck in the standings. But 2 wins makes it a 9 point separation! (albeit three more games)

I don't expect to see Matthews, or Andersen for both. But I sure do expect 2 good games!

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
No reason to rush Matthews back. Next week we only have 2 games, and I believe the first one is Thursday. So if he is out tonight and tomorrow that is basically 10 days of rest, and it being "not serious," I would have to assume that in that amount of time he would be all healed up.

Reactions: HogTown06

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Leivo is not a first line player, he lacks foot speed. He can barely keep up with 3rd or 4th opposition. After last games beaut assist, I thought people would finally figure out how good Hyman is. Not all about scoring goals people. Hyman is our best puck hound, then Brown, hence why the PK units are set up that way as well (Hyman first unit, Brown second).

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Probably a good idea to rest Matthews anyway. Boston is known for a bit of a chippy style. Unless Matthews is 110% percent I would far rather him not play this weekend and be all the more ready and hungry next week for our 2 games.

Tonight I hope Marchand (if he plays) does not sucker us into penalties. The Leafs are starting to take too many again.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Huge weekend and I am hoping for 3 points - we really need to tighten up the defensive side

Kadri's line need to carry load and I am confident that they are going to show up

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I wish Babcock was here to answer that... :laugh:
"Upper body, day to day"

He did but somehow nobody would believe him
"I don't have a clue, honest to God, I don't know," the Toronto Maple Leafs head coach told reporters when asked for an update on his second-year superstar Wednesday night following a 4-2 victory over the Minnesota Wild.

Babcock said the Leafs' medical staff will determine when Matthews is healthy enough to go.
"We'll go in there tomorrow, they'll do whatever they do with him and they'll keep me abreast as it goes on," Babcock added.

"One thing I know is you can't go to a guy and ask him every day, you're putting pressure on a guy. It's not like that. When they're ready to play, they're going to tell me and we're going to get him in."

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No idea what the Matthews injury is? Shoulder, wrist or back?
Im thinking it's back. His stickhandling looked fine to me so I don't think it's wrist or shoulder. But he struggled on the draw and his skating looked kind of 'off'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad