Post-Game Talk: Game 17: Anaheim Ducks vs Florida Panthers - 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks lose 2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
We basically have 1 true new vet change from last year. Fowler is Fowle and Lybushkin replacing Kulikov is pretty seamless.

The big change is Gudas replacing a black hole in our D.

The rest are kids with little experience. I don’t have an issue with any of them since all the rookies are an upgrade over last year.

D is not an issue this year, we need offense.

John

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
i feel like lacombe's not exactly doing great on the right side either. i get wanting to have a vet with a rookie. just really dont like the idea of sacrificing lacombe's development in favor of vaaks. can't wait for drysdale to return (if he's every going to that is)
I 100% agree with you, I just don’t see an option to do it differently.

It’s like the thoughts about sitting Terry - people think McGinn or Leason will look better on the top line?

Reactions: dracom

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022

It’s like the thoughts about sitting Terry - people think McGinn or Leason will look better on the top line?
I dont think anyone serious says bench terry. But i did like the idea of doing a little line blending especially when zegras and leo are out of the lineup.

As i write that i really hate when z and leo are out of the lineup

Reactions: Ducks DVM

QuackAttack90

Nov 29, 2011
Do you guys think that our struggles in the first half of games are player related or coaching related?

It seems to me like we begin to play much more aggressive hockey when we are down by a couple goals. Almost like we give our players the green light to take more risks and those situations are the ones where we are finding success.

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
Do you guys think that our struggles in the first half of games are player related or coaching related?

It seems to me like we begin to play much more aggressive hockey when we are down by a couple goals. Almost like we give our players the green light to take more risks and those situations are the ones where we are finding success.
I dont know. But we had some of that fire and risk taking the first 6 games of season early in games and then we stopped and seemingly reserve it for when we are down late in the third.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Was at the game last night and still hoarse from voicing my displeasure with the no-goal call. Officiating in this league is becoming a nightmare. On the positive side, the "ref you suck" chants were the loudest I've heard Honda Center in years.

I'm completely enthralled by the way McTavish plays the game. Every time I see him play live I'm more certain that he'll be the captain of this team for a decade or more. Heart, grit, desire, skill out the wazoo, and leadership by example. We have some great young players, but McT is a cornerstone.

Also, did anyone else notice that Max Jones was on the top PP unit?! They just have to be showcasing him for a trade, right? No other viable explanation.
As far as Jones goes, they’re running 8 forwards on the PP, they run more of a 1A/1B. The top 6 are all in. Cronin frequently puts out the 4th line the last 10-15 seconds, so you can’t use Carrick. That leaves 2 of Jones, Silfverberg, or Groulx.

That’s one of the huge problems with the Leo-less games - Carlsson turns into Jones.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I dont think anyone serious says bench terry. But i did like the idea of doing a little line blending especially when zegras and leo are out of the lineup.

As i write that i really hate when z and leo are out of the lineup
I do like that Cronin was trying to let the 2nd line figure out their poor play for several games, but I like even more that he admitted he maybe waited a little too long.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
haven't been impressed at all by lacombe lately

That's fine. The rookie is doing us a solid by playing top pairing, helping to shelter the other lines, playing great on the PK, and helping Fowler's offense. We tried Luneau and Vaaks at the top line, but that didn't work.

Fowler w/o LaCombe: Games 1-5; 2 pts (scoreless in 5 games), +0 rating
Record: 1 - 4

Fowler w/ LaCombe: Games 6 - 17; 8 pts (scoreless in 5 games), - 6 rating
Record: 8 - 4

The coaching staff has started to dial back LaCombe's minutes in the past three games: Gm 15 = 18:14, Gm 16 = 17:54, Gm 17 = 16:37. The previous six games, LaCombe was playing over 20 minutes per game.

I constantly hear complaints about the rookie, but those same fans think there are better options. Drysdale's out. We've tried Luneau and Vaaks before turning to LaCombe. AHL'ers White and Hagg haven't turned the Gulls fortunes around. Zellweger is being benched. Hinds is probably the Gulls best defensive d-man, or as Defend the Nest commented, "he is easily the Gulls best shot suppressing defender." Yet, Hinds is playing on the 3rd pair with San Diego.

Rookies will make rookie mistakes. Playing on the top line, rookies will make even more rookie mistakes. Let's focus on the bigger body of work than the couple or few mistakes per game from the rookie. Fowler is scoring again, our PK is at 81.58% (13th best in the league), and we're winning more than losing.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
As far as Jones goes, they’re running 8 forwards on the PP, they run more of a 1A/1B. The top 6 are all in. Cronin frequently puts out the 4th line the last 10-15 seconds, so you can’t use Carrick. That leaves 2 of Jones, Silfverberg, or Groulx.

That’s one of the huge problems with the Leo-less games - Carlsson turns into Jones.
Thanks for the explanation. Totally agree that Leo's absence makes the whole team weaker, which is remarkable considering he's a rookie on a pitch count. That Jones-Groulx-Silf line needs to be flushed.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

That's fine. The rookie is doing us a solid by playing top pairing, helping to shelter the other lines, playing great on the PK, and helping Fowler's offense. We tried Luneau and Vaaks at the top line, but that didn't work.

Fowler w/o LaCombe: Games 1-5; 2 pts (scoreless in 5 games), +0 rating
Record: 1 - 4

Fowler w/ LaCombe: Games 6 - 17; 8 pts (scoreless in 5 games), - 6 rating
Record: 8 - 4

The coaching staff has started to dial back LaCombe's minutes in the past three games: Gm 15 = 18:14, Gm 16 = 17:54, Gm 17 = 16:37. The previous six games, LaCombe was playing over 20 minutes per game.

I constantly hear complaints about the rookie, but those same fans think there are better options. Drysdale's out. We've tried Luneau and Vaaks before turning to LaCombe. AHL'ers White and Hagg haven't turned the Gulls fortunes around. Zellweger is being benched. Hinds is probably the Gulls best defensive d-man, or as Defend the Nest commented, "he is easily the Gulls best shot suppressing defender." Yet, Hinds is playing on the 3rd pair with San Diego.

Rookies will make rookie mistakes. Playing on the top line, rookies will make even more rookie mistakes. Let's focus on the bigger body of work than the couple or few mistakes per game from the rookie. Fowler is scoring again, our PK is at 81.58% (13th best in the league), and we're winning more than losing.

Only potential thing to try is Vaak-Fowler and Lacombe-Gudas as I see it, but not sure it would be any better.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
i feel like lacombe's not exactly doing great on the right side either. i get wanting to have a vet with a rookie. just really dont like the idea of sacrificing lacombe's development in favor of vaaks. can't wait for drysdale to return (if he's every going to that is)

I think the team is trying to put the best product out on the ice, which includes increasing the likeliness of winning.

We've tried Vaaks on the top pairing already for a game and a half. LaCombe replaced Vaaks and we're better. I don't think LaCombe's development is being sacrificed. This exposure should be great experience for LaCombe, especially if he wants to be a top-pairing guy. He needs to add more strength and better endurance now he's playing against men. Also, he needs to be more aggressive offensively.

Only potential thing to try is Vaak-Fowler and Lacombe-Gudas as I see it, but not sure it would be any better.

We're 8-4 with LaCombe as a top pairing. We're 2-2 in our last four games. Everyone played like shit Wednesday. We got robbed of at least 1 point last night. I really don't get the urgent need for change, tbh.

Whenever Drysdale returns, then LaCombe will slot back down again. People are fixated on a couple of rookie mistakes and believe that's how LaCombe plays all the time - bad. Take several step back and we're doing a lot better than "world is crumbling" crowd. It's odd to expect a rookie to be amazing in a top pairing role.

Reactions: 70sSanO

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
In general, I don't really think that Vaaks is being prioritized over Lacombe. I think Lacombe is just better and more comfortable on the RS of any of the LHD including Fowler. This just makes mote balanced pairs. It's not ideal but neither is having Vaaks there. Honestly it would probably best to do:
Fowler-Gudas
Minty-Lybushkin
Vaaks-Lacombe.
But then you lose the vet with the rookie. You might find yourself relying too much on the Fowler pair, more than even now, and both Vaaks and Lacombe lose ice time which also isn't great for their development. Give these 6 guys I'm not sure there is a better deployment.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If Ducks go back to pairing forwards together, maybe trying Carlsson-Vatrano (gives him a pure shooter), Z-McTavish (both dual threats, one more passer and one more shooter), and Rico-Terry (previous chemistry). There will still be a weak wing, but Strome and Killorn on the other two lines. Vatrano can play either wing. IF the Ducks are strongly in a playoff spot at the deadline, try to deal Silf and move a 2nd/3rd and prospect for a middle 6 forward upgrade. Just having management show faith in the kids this soon might help, and the fight for a playoff spot will be good experience.

alsmiss94

Oct 26, 2022
The no goal call was BS but regardless they can't keep falling behind and expecting to come back, especially when their offense has been rather anemic. Gibson is giving them unreal goaltending right now but they aren't taking advantage of it they way they could be.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
A player who’s ideally a 3-4 being forced as a rookie to play as the default 2D, with a guy who’s also ideally on the 2nd pair.

It’s not the player, it’s the usage. He’s being thrown to the wolves so that Mintyukov gets developed properly, and that Gudas can play to his strengths and help develop Vaakanainen.
Exactly true. Hence why he’s probably trade bait for us to upgrade at wing somehow.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

Probably a mental barrier of a team that’s been broken down from the eakins era. Now that we have lost a couple games in a row and the season gets deeper. The fear of going back to a bottom feeder might be healthy for us to turn it into a new gear and team. I’m hopeful

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m sorry I have not commented on this, been trying to cool off the last 24 hours, before saying something that would be over the top.

Anyway, I am so beyond pissed, it really stung last night. This has made me really put serious doubt with the league, has questioned the integrity of the NHL, and I feel the game has also been tarnished with how bad the reffing has become.

Ducks should be at worst 9-7-1 now, and honestly felt they could have won that game to complete the comeback. Florida was gassed by the 3rd, like the Ducks were in Colorado.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
First game that I didn't finish. Perhaps I shouldn't have killed the stream after two periods but I thought I had seen enough after Lacombe's knee on Barkov. Looks like they started playing shortly after.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
We don’t remotely have the depth to be trading anyone on D at this point IMO. LaCombe being our top pairing RD means we have no better options.
This is all considering drysdale back and you never know, we may want to develop a call up from the gulls a bit or even trade for an actual dman with experience instead of a winger. I like lacombe and I know he’s playing top line over his head. Just my gut feeling about him, not a negative review

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I’ve gotten a lot of pushback for saying this before. But I feel he’s our next Marcus Peterson, he’s arrived too early, and we have younger higher projected prospects waiting in the wings. I feel like lacombe has much more trade value than Peterson did though.
I got laughed at for saying we should play him in San Diego for a bit lol.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We don’t remotely have the depth to be trading anyone on D at this point IMO. LaCombe being our top pairing RD means we have no better options.
9D24D1B5-2F97-4B0F-AA49-1FE4F229AAF7.jpeg

Too lazy to photoshop drysdale in, but pretend that is drysdale and not hampus

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
All I could do was laugh as the goal review continued to go on and on. Sort of knew what was coming. Baffling.

Credit the fans in attendance. We heard the hell out of you on the broadcast.
I haven’t gone to too many games in recent years, but that was the loudest I heard Honda Center for a regular season game since Perry’s Hat trick to 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad