Post-Game Talk: Game 17: Anaheim Ducks vs Florida Panthers - 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks lose 2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I understand, but that season (back a few years), he dramatically improved his shot, and it hasn’t really been seen has it?

As I said, he gets too much crap most times, but he also leaves you feeling like there is more there
Fowler is who he is at this point.

He's never going to have an overwhelming shot, but he will generate offence with his puck handling ability and skating. If he can get say 15 goals in a season then that's a huge bonus.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Fowler is who he is at this point.

He's never going to have an overwhelming shot, but he will generate offence with his puck handling ability and skating. If he can get say 15 goals in a season then that's a huge bonus.
You’re right. Fowler is who he is.

But he’s never sniffed 15 goals, and I don’t see it happening at this stage of his career.

It was frustrating in the final minute when we needed a goal to see him out there and he gets the puck with lots of time at the point and floats a soft wrister and it gets blocked. A play I’ve seen too many times.

If he had just a little more mustard and a quicker release on his shot I think it would go a long way. That’s all I was getting at.

Reactions: Deuce22

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
You’re right. Fowler is who he is.

But he’s never sniffed 15 goals, and I don’t see it happening at this stage of his career.

It was frustrating in the final minute when we needed a goal to see him out there and he gets the puck with lots of time at the point and floats a soft wrister and it gets blocked. A play I’ve seen too many times.

If he had just a little more mustard and a quicker release on his shot I think it would go a long way. That’s all I was getting at.
I never said he would sniff 15, I said that if he did (under the assumption of some improved shot) that would be a bonus. What he is a 10 goal 45 point two way defenceman, if you get more then that out of him then that's great.

And for all the complaints in the GDT at the time about Fowler being out there with the goalie pulled....all our chances at the end were generated by Fowler, he had at least three shots on goal that forced saves and generated rebound opportunities.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Just watched the highlights, that no goal is hilarious. Remember, it's important to have puck-trail on PP.

Looks like we had a fun 3rd period. Will try to catch it. Slept through this game :laugh:
And you call yourself a fan... Shame.

The Florida post game GDT thread title has to be the saltiest GDT thread title I've ever seen from a team who won in such circumstances :laugh:.
It's what constant high humidity does to a brain, turns it into a mush.

• Haha
Reactions: Yemeth and Kalv

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I understand, but that season (back a few years), he dramatically improved his shot, and it hasn’t really been seen has it?

As I said, he gets too much crap most times, but he also leaves you feeling like there is more there
It’s interesting you say that cause I was thinking the same. I’ve always felt he was capable of more. Rakell was in the same boat for me his last few seasons here. That was more of an effort problem in Rakells case.

Reactions: pbgoalie

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Wasn’t able to watch but sounds like Cronin switched up the lines based on his postgame. Happy to hear that was the case, feel like we’ve been needing that for a little bit.

Also offense seems to run a lot more smoothly with Leo in the lineup. People playing closer to their true depth.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
haven't been impressed at all by lacombe lately
I’ve gotten a lot of pushback for saying this before. But I feel he’s our next Marcus Peterson, he’s arrived too early, and we have younger higher projected prospects waiting in the wings. I feel like lacombe has much more trade value than Peterson did though.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
haven't been impressed at all by lacombe lately
A player who’s ideally a 3-4 being forced as a rookie to play as the default 2D, with a guy who’s also ideally on the 2nd pair.

It’s not the player, it’s the usage. He’s being thrown to the wolves so that Mintyukov gets developed properly, and that Gudas can play to his strengths and help develop Vaakanainen.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
More than anything else, that’s arguably the most physical team in the league looking to start shit after all whistles, and the team was right there engaging with them at every turn. That’s been the identity of every Ducks team I’ve watched since the beginning of time and I’m glad to see it has returned

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
A player who’s ideally a 3-4 being forced as a rookie to play as the default 2D, with a guy who’s also ideally on the 2nd pair.

It’s not the player, it’s the usage. He’s being thrown to the wolves so that Mintyukov gets developed properly, and that Gudas can play to his strengths and help develop Vaakanainen.
my question is why is developing Vaak more important than developing LaCombe? If the team is more focused on wanting to develop someone, I rather they swap Vaaks and LaCombe.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I skipped last nights game, but idk how i feel about that no goal call. i think considering where the pad is and where the puck is, it's in the net. but because the league only has cameras from the early 2000s still, it's way too pixelated to get the conclusive view to overturn a ref's decision. the league seriously needs to get with the times and invest in real cameras

Reactions: Kalv

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I went ahead and added a forensic digital red line. Why the fk can't NHL do this shit.
PXL_20231118_060742629~3.jpg

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
With only 3 veteran defensemen, the Ducks will need to run 8D, when Drysdale returns. It will be good to have some of the rookies back away for a few games and recover and observe from the press box.

As the season rolls along there will be a number of players with slight dings that make them DTD. I imagine most teams are quite adept at juggling rosters until the TDL.

John

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
my question is why is developing Vaak more important than developing LaCombe? If the team is more focused on wanting to develop someone, I rather they swap Vaaks and LaCombe.

Vaakanainen can’t play of the right, would be my assumption, and they clearly want a veteran with every rookie, so moving Gudas up to the top pairing won’t work.

Reactions: Kalv and dracom

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Vaakanainen can’t play of the right, would be my assumption, and they clearly want a veteran with every rookie, so moving Gudas up to the top pairing won’t work.
i feel like lacombe's not exactly doing great on the right side either. i get wanting to have a vet with a rookie. just really dont like the idea of sacrificing lacombe's development in favor of vaaks. can't wait for drysdale to return (if he's every going to that is)

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Was at the game last night and still hoarse from voicing my displeasure with the no-goal call. Officiating in this league is becoming a nightmare. On the positive side, the "ref you suck" chants were the loudest I've heard Honda Center in years.

I'm completely enthralled by the way McTavish plays the game. Every time I see him play live I'm more certain that he'll be the captain of this team for a decade or more. Heart, grit, desire, skill out the wazoo, and leadership by example. We have some great young players, but McT is a cornerstone.

Also, did anyone else notice that Max Jones was on the top PP unit?! They just have to be showcasing him for a trade, right? No other viable explanation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad