GDT: Game 15: Avs vs Senators | November 10, 2017 | 12 PM MT | Stockholm Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Me and my daughter enjoyed the game too but we both thought it was a surprisingly soft game for being NHL, not very physical. Perhaps this fact was a really good thing for Girard though who was great, impressive first game for Avs considering his age. 7 goals and OT brought a very good entertainment value, wish the OT would have been longer though, 3-3 is such a fun format. Also I wasn't totally happy with Landy the first two, he should have had a goal (or even two) in the first. The Avs were a bit inefficient and sloppy and perhaps MacKinnon should have played/passed the puck at a couple of occasions instead of going for it alone. Landy the opposite, he has to play a bit more selfish with more confidence using his body strength, I want him slightly bigger MacKinnon style. Maybe he actually need to gain some weight over the summer. ;-)
Finally the Avs played a pretty good game vs last seasons conference finalists, let's win the game tomorrow and we will all feel great.

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Average ice time 14:26. If he's constantly being played only 10 minutes, then for every one of those 10 minute games, he's played a 20 minute game. Didn't show up in those either.

That isn't much either. And he has got to be on the shortest leash of any Dmen.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I thought Andrighetto was quite poor and Grimaldi in his limited minutes really outplayed him. I'd switch those two, Grimaldi has the same speed too and just seemed to hustle more and make nicer plays. Comeau hits at least so Colin Wilson is the guy that needs to come out of the line-up for me, he does nothing and hopefully Greer is back in.

They really outworked us in that game in our zone. That's the difference in coaching, it's not trapping or whatever as it is them just moving better off the puck and having a better cycle. If Sakic won't fire Bednar this season then at least ffs get rid of Pratt because I hate how this team looks in its zone, it's headless and it doesn't have the counter or goaltending of old to be able to do it like in 2013-14. Also hate getting the loser point, either lose in regulation or win, that OT point is useless for a tank. At least Girard outplayed Duchene.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My thoughts after catching up:

Girard did pretty good out there, and it was nice to see. You can tell the IQ is there and he's really poised, something we haven't seen much of back there in years. He still ends up needing to play with a bigger body though, it'll only be a matter of time before he's next to EJ on the top pair I feel.

That line change in OT was horrendous.

This team can't win a faceoff to save it's life, that will KILL them if they somehow squeak into that 8th seed. Kamenev is going to be a godsend in that department.

Kerfoot continues to exceed expectations. I figured he'd be a 15-20 point in 40-50 games guy starting in the AHL, but he just keeps putting up points. He's become one of our catalysts in the O-zone and not just a complimentary guy which is great, we've already got too many of those.

Barberio's honeymoon period is long over. He was a breath of fresh air last year but this year he's been nothing but abysmal, he's slowly becoming the new Hunwick/Holden with his usage relative to performance. Keep him as the #7-8 please.

Bigras looked good, then bad, it's s shame the coaching staff hates him so much.

Zadorov sadly has been pretty bad all season long. He's got so many tools and so much potential but he rarely puts them together.

Compher looked off, he's clearly still hurting from that broken finger.

Yak is the Zadorov of the forwards. He's a great finisher but the rest of his game is so wildly inconsistent. It's a shame that the two goofy and fun Russians that were mishandled in their rookie years are struggling like they are.

Overall I like the young guys and I'm glad we don't have to watch a bunch of slow vets that have given up on the season plod around the ice anymore.

Yak has been better than Z this season. And no Yak is not struggling. We brought this guy in to provide secondary scoring. Hes doing just that for us right now. Is he a long term solution probably not but hes doing what we signed him to do so far.

Reactions: dahrougem2

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I would like to see Kerfoot tried at center with Mack at his wing. I'm pretty sick of Mack trying to bust through everyone and do everything on his own, like he's still in juniors.

Landeskog - Kerfoot - Mack
Ghetto - JTC/Jost - Rants
Wilson - JTC/Jost - Yak
Comeau - Soda - Grimaldi

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I would like to see Kerfoot tried at center with Mack at his wing. I'm pretty sick of Mack trying to bust through everyone and do everything on his own, like he's still in juniors.

I want this too but the top line needs to stay. We also need to trade Soda for a late pick to open another centre spot for the kids. We have to many young C that have earned a chance to show what they have

Mack
Kerfoot
Compher
Kamanev

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Average ice time 14:26. If he's constantly being played only 10 minutes, then for every one of those 10 minute games, he's played a 20 minute game. Didn't show up in those either.

Bigras doesn't flash, but he had a lot of small plays that interfered with Ottawa's possession or got the puck closer to our control. Blocking guys out, small pokechecks & chips off the boards, some good pinches to keep the puck down low, etc. He wasn't amazing or anything, but there was a bunch of plays where I came away thinking that Woody had really helped us gain control of the action.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I thought Bigras was fine, Z wasn't great but he wasn't horrible either. He needs to play anyways so we're going to have to deal with the growing pains. If we were to give up on Z so soon I'd be pissed, there's so much potential there you don't just walk away from that because he's taking longer than you'd like.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I mean, at their peak? Or when they played for us? If it's the former than Drury/Briere for sure, that's what Compher/Kerfoot would dream of becoming.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Briere and Drury were top line players in the NHL and paid like that. I don't think Compher and Kerfoot has that ceiling, but if they end up as second liners it's still good.

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He had a few shifts were he couldn't get the puck out which led to sustained pressure and some good scoring chances. And Stone basically shrugged off both him and Barrie as he enter their OZ and went to the corner before eventually scoring their 2nd goal.
There is not a single d-man in the entire league who is perfect and never makes a mistake. Those things you mentioned happens to the best of them. I look at Girard's overall game today, and for a 19 year old rookie 160 pound d-man, he did very good controlling the game from the back end. The only big mistake he made was that giveaway that turned into a breakaway.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Bigras doesn't flash, but he had a lot of small plays that interfered with Ottawa's possession or got the puck closer to our control. Blocking guys out, small pokechecks & chips off the boards, some good pinches to keep the puck down low, etc. He wasn't amazing or anything, but there was a bunch of plays where I came away thinking that Woody had really helped us gain control of the action.

The thing with Bigras is that he's always been the type of D that will take the safer option 90% of the time. The fact that he's in the doghouse constantly makes him play a lot more nervously instead of just letting him play and work out his kinks. This stupid coaching staff better not ruin his value here, only for us to watch in horror as he flourishes elsewhere.

Reactions: cgf

Conky19

May 21, 2014

Wilson - JTC/Jost - Yak
Comeau - Soda - Grimaldi

This is what frustrates me about some AVS fans. How do you want Mack to play... Because to me Mack is at his best when he plays this way. Sure it's not always going to work every time but he puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team this way

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont get it with Bigras. Ya he made a couple nice plays on that one PK blocking the backdoor option. But I thought he was a train wreck in his own zone at even strength, Constantly turning it over, losing puck battles, etc. And didn't create anything offensively either.

He needs to calm down. He seems way too frantic out there all the time, and he loses the puck, and gets himself out of position defensively too often because of it. He's got the skating, the puck skills, and the cerebral game to play a nice calm style, but he doesn't for some reason.

He needs to settle down a bit, and focus more on his positional play in the D zone, and his outlet passes. Just focus on that, and everything else will fall into place.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

Wilson - JTC/Jost - Yak
Comeau - Soda - Grimaldi

Yeah...No

Our top line finally looks good. No touchy.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Colin Wilson is the most generic hockey player I've ever seen. He doesn't do any one thing really well, he's just average at basically everything. Skating, shooting, tenacity, physicality, awareness, creativity. He's a very "meh" player. If he's playing on the 4th line, I really don't mind him but I don't think he can play with skilled players. If someone HAS to come out, I'd prefer if it was him but he has the veteran status that players like Grimaldi, Bourque, and Yakupov don't have.

Reactions: The Merchant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad