GDT: Game 15: Avs vs Senators | November 10, 2017 | 12 PM MT | Stockholm Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont get it with Bigras. Ya he made a couple nice plays on that one PK blocking the backdoor option. But I thought he was a train wreck in his own zone at even strength, Constantly turning it over, losing puck battles, etc. And didn't create anything offensively either.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont get it with Bigras. Ya he made a couple nice plays on that one PK blocking the backdoor option. But I thought he was a train wreck in his own zone at even strength, Constantly turning it over, losing puck battles, etc. And didn't create anything offensively either.
Very low confidence. That'll happen when you're constantly played only 10 minutes.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I dunno about that. The Defense is still young and very much prone to mistakes. We've allowed 3 or more goals in 10 straight games now.

Our Offense is clicking but that should come back down to Earth soon enough as well. When it does so will the Avs.

I mean we probably wont finish bottom 3 in the league, but I think we're well on track to finish in that 4-8 zone on the year and that's prime pickings for this years draft, and still gives us a decent shot at picking Top 2.

I think we’ll be in the 10-13 range. I hope you’re right though.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I'm satisfied with it. A point against a very good team under some really strange circumstances.
This is how I feel. Varly wasn't on his game and we are without some guys that would otherwise be playing. Don't get the logic behind a Girard - Barrie pairing, those two got owned down low tonight. Whenever we come out strong and can't bury one, it seems Varly can't make that extra save and then we sag. I'm really starting to doubt his abilities. When he's on it's great, but that's way too few and far between lately. He only does well when he faces a lot of shots, or on breakaways. Can't track pucks through traffic at all

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This is how I feel. Varly wasn't on his game and we are without some guys that would otherwise be playing. Don't get the logic behind a Girard - Barrie pairing, those two got owned down low tonight. Whenever we come out strong and can't bury one, it seems Varly can't make that extra save and then we sag. I'm really starting to doubt his abilities. When he's on it's great, but that's way too few and far between lately. He only does well when he faces a lot of shots, or on breakaways. Can't track pucks through traffic at all

:popcorn:

Reactions: cgf

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Probably all true but I'm happy we are atleast scoring and not looking completely horrible in games.

Yeah, I'm mostly fine with us playing high scoring games and losing.

Unfortunate for the goalies but our players are producing points which is nice to see. Mack is PPG through 15 games. If he can keep that pace up all year it would go a long, long way towards finally solidifying our 1C issues we've(IMO) had for the last decade.

In fact that entire 1st line has looked like a legit 1st line in the league since they were put together. Scoring opportunities in every game and difference makers on a nightly basis.

Not only that, but Kerfoot is really starting to step up and lead the rest of the team as a true secondary scoring guy. Really like his game once again tonight.

The offense is starting to come together and really take shape. Now it's on the Dmen to over the next year or so to come together and do the same thing. Girard looks to be the first big step in that direction.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Very low confidence. That'll happen when you're constantly played only 10 minutes.

Average ice time 14:26. If he's constantly being played only 10 minutes, then for every one of those 10 minute games, he's played a 20 minute game. Didn't show up in those either.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
All I know is whatever happens moving forward we can absolutely not have Yakupov and Ghetto on the same line. They are both atrocious defensively and having them out there together does not lead to good things in our own end.

I'm not sure how I'd assemble the lines going forward. Once everyone is healthy or back in the lineup. Maybe:

Landy-MacK-Rantanen
Jost-Kerfoot-Yakupov (Kerfoot and Yakupov looked good together today)
Ghetto-Compher-Kamenev
Comeau-Soderberg-Wilson
Nieto

It's going to be interesting moving forward without Duchene lots of question marks and young guys are going to have to step up big time.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
My thoughts after catching up:

Girard did pretty good out there, and it was nice to see. You can tell the IQ is there and he's really poised, something we haven't seen much of back there in years. He still ends up needing to play with a bigger body though, it'll only be a matter of time before he's next to EJ on the top pair I feel.

That line change in OT was horrendous.

This team can't win a faceoff to save it's life, that will KILL them if they somehow squeak into that 8th seed. Kamenev is going to be a godsend in that department.

Kerfoot continues to exceed expectations. I figured he'd be a 15-20 point in 40-50 games guy starting in the AHL, but he just keeps putting up points. He's become one of our catalysts in the O-zone and not just a complimentary guy which is great, we've already got too many of those.

Barberio's honeymoon period is long over. He was a breath of fresh air last year but this year he's been nothing but abysmal, he's slowly becoming the new Hunwick/Holden with his usage relative to performance. Keep him as the #7-8 please.

Bigras looked good, then bad, it's s shame the coaching staff hates him so much.

Zadorov sadly has been pretty bad all season long. He's got so many tools and so much potential but he rarely puts them together.

Compher looked off, he's clearly still hurting from that broken finger.

Yak is the Zadorov of the forwards. He's a great finisher but the rest of his game is so wildly inconsistent. It's a shame that the two goofy and fun Russians that were mishandled in their rookie years are struggling like they are.

Overall I like the young guys and I'm glad we don't have to watch a bunch of slow vets that have given up on the season plod around the ice anymore.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You're kidding right. Varly has been one of team MVPs so far. It's not his fault he got a below average defensive team in front of him. He is one of the best goalies in the league and would prove it on a better defensive team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Biggest mistake in OT was Rantanens blind backhand turnover in the offensive zone. After that Avs didn't have control of the puck for the rest of OT, forwards were dead tired and had to go for a risky change which left the Avs players late in the play.

I have no idea why you would start with EJ instead of Barrie in OT, especially when the opposition starts with 65.

PeterForsberg

Aug 4, 2012
So I couldn't watch the full game unfortunately, but I am curious to know how Kerfoot and the first line looked today.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I mean if I had time I would cut footage of his goals against. Yes he was screened on the first one and the 2nd goal is on Barrie, but it's a constant trend with him. If I'm the opposing team's coach I'm just sending bodies in front and sending wristers from the point. I'm always amazed to hear how tall Varly is because he looks awfully small in the net sometimes. Obviously he has some strengths, but when the team is playing well and keeping shots to the outside, he seems to play his worst. When we can't defend and get outshot terribly he bails us out - just not great mentally when he hasn't seen a lot of work.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sakic will probably evaluate what he has in the coming months. So much up in the air up front. If Kamenev looks like a NHLer he might want to trade a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad