GDT: Game 15: Avs vs Senators | November 10, 2017 | 12 PM MT | Stockholm Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Was working, but listened to the game on my phone until it died seconds before overtime. Really wish I got to see Girard and while from all accounts he must have played well, was there any particular play/plays he made that stood out or was his poise just something we really haven't had for well over a decade?

I am very frustrated with the lack of minutes Kerfoot got tonight, although it's nothing new. He has gotten better with every game and seems to be a solid natural center that should fall perfectly into the second line spot. Bednar needs to find a way to get him more than 10 minutes a game especially now that Duchene is gone. With that being said I'm not sure who we can surround him with to make him have the most impact as we have a bunch of tweeners (Yak, Ghetto, Wilson, Nieto & Grimaldi).

member 116861

Colin Wilson is the most generic hockey player I've ever seen. He doesn't do any one thing really well, he's just average at basically everything. Skating, shooting, tenacity, physicality, awareness, creativity. He's a very "meh" player. If he's playing on the 4th line, I really don't mind him but I don't think he can play with skilled players. If someone HAS to come out, I'd prefer if it was him but he has the veteran status that players like Grimaldi, Bourque, and Yakupov don't have.

When coaches talk about safe players, they should talk about Colin Wilson. He is actually a safe player unlike most of the plugs around the league. I think he should stay on the 4th line with Kamenev and someone like Nieto or Bourque. I think that could be a very effective 4th line.

Loved what I saw from Girard, it was so weird to see something and be incredibly excited again. This dude is a puck hog and I mean that as a compliment. No panic from this kid which is beautiful to see.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
When coaches talk about safe players, they should talk about Colin Wilson. He is actually a safe player unlike most of the plugs around the league. I think he should stay on the 4th line with Kamenev and someone like Nieto or Bourque. I think that could be a very effective 4th line.

Loved what I saw from Girard, it was so weird to see something and be incredibly excited again. This dude is a puck hog and I mean that as a compliment. No panic from this kid which is beautiful to see.
The thing I love about Girard is that he knows when to pass the puck, and all it took was one game to realize this. He's going to have his struggles as a rookie and definitely in the defensive zone, but I'm excited to see him progress.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
This is what frustrates me about some AVS fans. How do you want Mack to play... Because to me Mack is at his best when he plays this way. Sure it's not always going to work every time but he puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team this way

You see pressure on the other team, I see turnovers and missed opportunities to spend some time in the offensive zone. I realize this lack of time in the offensive zone is not all Mack's fault, but it frustrates me when we get in the offensive zone, and it is either one shot and done, or an immediate turnover and the play is heading back the other way.

Plus, I'll make the bold statement that Kerfoot has consistently played just as good, if not better, than anyone on the top line this year. He also has a higher hockey IQ than anyone on the top line as well. Should the top line start to struggle, I'd like to see Bednar try him on that line a shift or two.

Reactions: GBoeklen32

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Please stop...

Mackinnon has been the Avs best forward this year and nobody else comes close right now... Kerf has done well, but he's not driving play anywhere close to the level Mack is. Not to mention Mack is facing other teams Top pairing on a nightly basis while Kerfoot gets to feed on the weaker pairing of other teams.

Mack should not be playing any position other then Center. Simple as that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
MacKinnon has been great. He's been buzzing all over the ice for the last 6 games or so and constantly pushing the play. He's at his best when he's playing aggressive, and if the price of seeing him play like that is a few low percentage bullrushes, I'm happy to pay it. Plus, when they do work, we get to see this:

Reactions: Foppberg and cgf

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hopefully MacKinnon can keep it up because he always starts the season at PPG level for the 1st month or so then slows down a lot and ends up with 50 points

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I want this too but the top line needs to stay. We also need to trade Soda for a late pick to open another centre spot for the kids. We have to many young C that have earned a chance to show what they have

Mack
Kerfoot
Compher
Kamanev
Avs can't trade Soda now. This is still the NHL and not some development league. Experience is important, especially for centers.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Soderberg's played well lately and experience is important but if the Avs can get out of that contract without withholding salary or taking a bad contract back they should make that trade. I don' think there's a market for him now anyway.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Isn't this season suppose to be "younger faster" and " show me what you've got" season.

Kerfoot is producing like a first liner and has earned the 2C spot that Duchene held.

Compher when healthy has shown the ability to play like a top 6 C and has also shown that he can play the shutdown defensive 3rd line C.

Kamanev already has 2 solid years of AHL experience and has looked great recently with 4 pts in 2 games in SA. He's already been promised a look from Sakic when the team gets back home.

Jost who really hasn't shown much due to injuries won't likely be sent to the AHL so he needs minutes also and preferably at C.

I feel that all these guys need minutes at C and with soda here there are only 2 C spots for 4 of them. Something has to give and the best solution is to ship Soda out sooner rather than later.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Who exactly is accepting Soderberg in a trade? He just got off a horrendous season. A handful of good games doesn't wipe that away. Soderberg will stay because to get rid of him would likely require us having to pay someone to take him.

As for MacKinnon, it would certainly be nice to see him pick his spots more often with the bullrushes and attempts to stickhandle through the entire other team. I would never want to take away his aggressiveness, but there are better ways to go about it.

Also, I assume this thread has already dealt with Barrie's atrocious defensive play and Landeskog being responsible for losing the game? If not, I'd like to bring that up.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Isn't this season suppose to be "younger faster" and " show me what you've got" season.

Kerfoot is producing like a first liner and has earned the 2C spot that Duchene held.

Compher when healthy has shown the ability to play like a top 6 C and has also shown that he can play the shutdown defensive 3rd line C.

Kamanev already has 2 solid years of AHL experience and has looked great recently with 4 pts in 2 games in SA. He's already been promised a look from Sakic when the team gets back home.

Jost who really hasn't shown much due to injuries won't likely be sent to the AHL so he needs minutes also and preferably at C.

I feel that all these guys need minutes at C and with soda here there are only 2 C spots for 4 of them. Something has to give and the best solution is to ship Soda out sooner rather than later.
Not all of them need minutes at C. Some of them are going to end up as wingers eventually. We can't have MacK, Kerfoot, Kamenev, Jost, and Compher all at C even with Soderberg gone. And for the future, we need a 4C, and none of those guys will ideally be there, so that's really only 2 C positions in the top 9 total.

I get that we need to evaluate everybody to see who's going to be best at C, but we can just rotate everybody in until somebody clicks. I have a very good feeling about Compher at C going forward, but ultimately a few of these guys are going to end up as winger unless they're traded.

Reactions: MarkT

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Who exactly is accepting Soderberg in a trade? He just got off a horrendous season. A handful of good games doesn't wipe that away. Soderberg will stay because to get rid of him would likely require us having to pay someone to take him.

As for MacKinnon, it would certainly be nice to see him pick his spots more often with the bullrushes and attempts to stickhandle through the entire other team. I would never want to take away his aggressiveness, but there are better ways to go about it.

Also, I assume this thread has already dealt with Barrie's atrocious defensive play and Landeskog being responsible for losing the game? If not, I'd like to bring that up.

Duchene's horrible season last year didn't destroy his value. GMs knew to look beyond that single year.

I think they'd do the same with Soderberg. He had good years prior to last year's fiasco.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Was working, but listened to the game on my phone until it died seconds before overtime. Really wish I got to see Girard and while from all accounts he must have played well, was there any particular play/plays he made that stood out or was his poise just something we really haven't had for well over a decade?

Lots of speed and flashy play. He held the line and moved around on the point on the man-advantage astoundingly well, very good at creating space for himself and using passing lanes, also threw in a few spin-o-ramas when he had the puck. Had one horrible turnover but that's gonna happen from time to time. I know Tyson Barrie isn't super-fast but he's a very capable skater, but it's amazing that Girard made him look slow both in skating and just plain reaction time by comparison. That's not a diss at all on #4 by the way, his play has been very good to start the season...just amazing how quick Girard looked out there.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Lots of speed and flashy play. He held the line and moved around on the point on the man-advantage astoundingly well, very good at creating space for himself and using passing lanes, also threw in a few spin-o-ramas when he had the puck. Had one horrible turnover but that's gonna happen from time to time. I know Tyson Barrie isn't super-fast but he's a very capable skater, but it's amazing that Girard made him look slow both in skating and just plain reaction time by comparison. That's not a diss at all on #4 by the way, his play has been very good to start the season...just amazing how quick Girard looked out there.

You see Girard getting pressured, and you think, "Oh shit, here it comes..."
But then he makes the right play.
It's something we're just not used to seeing from our guys.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

Had one less horrible turnover than Karlsson! :nod:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I agree with this completely , well said

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad