Post-Game Talk: Game 15 - Anaheim Ducks @ Nashville Predators, 5pm PT, (Hulu, ESPN+) Ducks win 3-2, Gudas style!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Scorecard for tonight…

I feel terrible for LaCombe. As soon as his sin box time ends, he gets on the ice and the Preds score b/c Fowler doesn't take the body in front of the net, instead plays spectator for the whole thing. Lacombe gets a -1 rating for something he has no control over.

That -1 rating causes his metric to go down. The penalty also causes his metric to go down, but it was one of those good penalties to prevent an actual goal to be scored tonight.

And when Fowler scored, LaCombe actually kept the puck in play and then promptly went to the bench to change. Didn't get a credit at all on that score with a +1 rating, but was definitely part of the reason.

That stat card is okay, but some of it doesn't match up when you watch the games.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I feel terrible for LaCombe. As soon as his sin box time ends, he gets on the ice and the Preds score b/c Fowler doesn't take the body in front of the net, instead plays spectator for the whole thing. Lacombe gets a -1 rating for something he has no control over.

That -1 rating causes his metric to go down. The penalty also causes his metric to go down, but it was one of those good penalties to prevent an actual goal to be scored tonight.

And when Fowler scored, LaCombe actually kept the puck in play and then promptly went to the bench to change. Didn't get a credit at all on that score with a +1 rating, but was definitely part of the reason.

That stat card is okay, but some of it doesn't match up when you watch the games.
Another reason why +/- is nearly useless

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Pretty sure that was Rico who lost that net front battle multiple times with Forsberg, but I understand your overall point. Fowler always catching strays lol.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Fowler was getting a great view of the action, however.

Sure, but he slides over to help, Forsberg slides it across to his man and Fowler is crucified anyhow. Some players are just going to be scapegoated no matter what and I was one of the first to call out Cam for his lack of clearing the puck leading to the Josi PPG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

QuackAttack90

Nov 29, 2011
Gudas is teaching Urho how to let out a primal scream.

Vaak will have a full beard in no time
E5299A37-A08B-489E-9743-38220B0B1D05.jpeg

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Those who crapped on Verbeek constantly need to be eating some crow right about now.
-Got Vaaks in the Lindholm deal
-"Tanked" for Carlsson
-Didn't give Z or Drysdale long term deals
-Signed Vatrano, Strome, Gudas, and Killorn
-Got Leason and was patient with him
-Hired Cronin
-Put to rest the silly "he likes soft players" narrative

Verbeek earned the vitriol last year, from bad roster, soft roster... little kitty purr. Vatrano was mostly defense last year (-29 rating). Strome was Stroke last year (-30 rating) and were scared we're paying $5 mil for that performance for the next four seasons.

We weren't tanking for Carlsson; we were tanking for Bedard. The uproar was about the consolation prize "Carlsson".

Vaaks is still a 3rd pairing D with a concussion history (3 of them: 2 with Boston, 1 with Anaheim). I love his improvement to becoming a competent 3rd pairing D.

I think the logical conclusion was a bridge deal for both Z and Drysdale, the heart wants something else. The problem was not getting both players signed before training camp.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Verbeek earned the vitriol last year, from bad roster, soft roster... little kitty purr. Vatrano was mostly defense last year (-29 rating). Strome was Stroke last year (-30 rating) and were scared we're paying $5 mil for that performance for the next four seasons.

We weren't tanking for Carlsson; we were tanking for Bedard. The uproar was about the consolation prize "Carlsson".

Vaaks is still a 3rd pairing D with a concussion history (3 of them: 2 with Boston, 1 with Anaheim). I love his improvement to becoming a competent 3rd pairing D.

I think the logical conclusion was a bridge deal for both Z and Drysdale, the heart wants something else. The problem was not getting both players signed before training camp.
Vitriol was deserved last year-if you thought he was trying to win. I don't. "Tanking" was to get into the top 3. Mission accomplished. Vaaks isn't completely worthless, as some were saying. The problem would have been if he had given them long term deals. He correctly realizes that McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov are going to be the big money guys.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pretty sure that was Rico who lost that net front battle multiple times with Forsberg, but I understand your overall point. Fowler always catching strays lol.

Yup. You're right. Rico bodied Forsberg up. Fowler couldn't do a WJC-20 gold medal saving puck stop at the goal line like Mac.

Edit: I watched the replay on YouTube and it showed my mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Garrity

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Vitriol was deserved last year-if you thought he was trying to win. I don't. "Tanking" was to get into the top 3. Mission accomplished. Vaaks isn't completely worthless, as some were saying. The problem would have been if he had given them long term deals. He correctly realizes that McTavish, Carlsson, and Mintyukov are going to be the big money guys.

Verbeek was trying to win. He expected his team to be at .500 to start the season. That's from his lips.

I knew it was a tank b/c his defensive acquisitions were OFD's with little to negative defense. Klingberg bailed us out by forcing Verbeek to take a 1-year deal instead of a multi-year deal Verbeek offered Klingberg. What I didn't expect was Drysdale to be out for most of the season.

With Vaaks, many were expecting top-4D at the very least. And you touting Vaaks being a part of the Lindholm trade doesn't make sense to be touting a 3rd pairing D in return.

One cannot say he correctly realizes Mac, Carlsson, and Minchy are going to be big money guys. Carlsson was a wait and see. Verbeek said they'll try him out at the NHL. If not there, then the AHL. Possibly the SHL if the previous two stops don't work out. Minchy was projected to go to the AHL, as denoted by Verbeek at halfway through the season last year and at McIlvane's Gulls presser. With Mac, it's unknown how big a jump he would make this year, if he would make a big jump this year. Using 20/20 hindsight to make the statement about Mac, Carlsson, and Minchy is wrong.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Verbeek was trying to win. He expected his team to be at .500 to start the season. That's from his lips.

I knew it was a tank b/c his defensive acquisitions were OFD's with little to negative defense. Klingberg bailed us out by forcing Verbeek to take a 1-year deal instead of a multi-year deal Verbeek offered Klingberg. What I didn't expect was Drysdale to be out for most of the season.

With Vaaks, many were expecting top-4D at the very least. And you touting Vaaks being a part of the Lindholm trade doesn't make sense to be touting a 3rd pairing D in return.

One cannot say he correctly realizes Mac, Carlsson, and Minchy are going to be big money guys. Carlsson was a wait and see. Verbeek said they'll try him out at the NHL. If not there, then the AHL. Possibly the SHL if the previous two stops don't work out. Minchy was projected to go to the AHL, as denoted by Verbeek at halfway through the season last year and at McIlvane's Gulls presser. With Mac, it's unknown how big a jump he would make this year, if he would make a big jump this year. Using 20/20 hindsight to make the statement about Mac, Carlsson, and Minchy is wrong.
Did you expect him to say "Hey guys, we're tanking so please don't try" ?

Reactions: ADHB and Deuce22

SoCal Dreaming

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2020
What was the lines for this game? I didn’t get to watch the game. Based on the highlights, looks like Jones had some moments or was that all it was?

Gibson kept them in the game and what else can i say that haven’t been said yet about The Butcher.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

I suspected the tank when he brought back Eakins. When I say correctly about Carlsson, McTavish, and Mintyukov I'm speaking of right now-not prior to the season. By not giving Z and Drysdale long term deals, he was "saying" that the other guys were the priority.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Those who crapped on Verbeek constantly need to be eating some crow right about now.
-"Tanked" for Carlsson
-Hired Cronin
Traded manson raks and lindholm resulting in “ tanking” to draft minty

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
-"Tanked" for Carlsson
-Hired Cronin
i'm a fan of what verbeek has done for the most part, but no way i'm going to put anything related to the lindholm trade on my list. vaaks has still been unimpressive for the most part and hasn't been able to stay healthy consistently. that deal is still a black mark on verbeek to me

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
First and foremost is Mintyukov and Carlsson are his guys. Not that it directly impacts the Drysdale and Zegras contracts, but their success is a validation of his management.

John

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
This was a great comeback win for the Ducks after being dead to the neck up for two periods. NSH was winning the battles, getting to the loose pucks and controlling possession -Gibby did indeed keep us in it. But when Gudas ties it, there was a huge momentum shift and the whole team got a major spring in their step. And after the go-ahead goal, Gibby just shut the door. And Gudas got the Gordie Howe hat trick!

Another poster said somewhere that he'd like to see the Ducks win a few from the get-go, and I would too! But it's said that good teams find ways to win, and that's what the Ducks are doing here. I said in another thread that we're still not firing on all cylinders, and yet we find ways to make tonight happen. That's encouraging! What might we do when they take the leash off Leo and Zegras finds his niche and starts contributing? I gotta be optimistic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad