GDT: GAME 11: Nashville Predators @ Minnesota Wild 7PM CST

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
Also, anyone notice it almost looked like Seto was going to breakdown for a second after scoring last night.
It was the first thing I noticed on the jumbotron when they zoomed in on him after the goal. Thought he was going to start bawling right there on the ice.

Aug 3, 2010
Sorry, I didn't know where else to ask this, but what kind of player is Jared Spurgeon? I don't know much about him.

Was wondering if missing him on the IR is affecting your team's cohesiveness at all?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Sorry, I didn't know where else to ask this, but what kind of player is Jared Spurgeon? I don't know much about him.

Was wondering if missing him on the IR is affecting your team's cohesiveness at all?

Better vision than our "big 3" on the "bottom 3" but we will give up size for it.

THEALLKNOWING*

Often injured, very small. Supposedly smart. Useless on the back-end, can't clear out in front of the net, easily loses "body-battles" along the boards. Okay offensively in terms of moving the puck up the ice.

As far as I am concerned, he should be a 3rd pairing defenseman when he returns.

Not much of a future. Martin St Louis is the last of a breed, and Jared Spurgeon is not the defensive version of MSL.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

Very good offensive defenseman with a lot of potential. Undersized, but makes up for it with his mobility and offensive instincts. Excellent hands, an accurate shot and willing to go to the dirty areas, despite his size.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
very good is a HUGE overstatement. if you're talking about offensive defensemen, Marc-Andre Bergeron is many times better than Spurge.

spurge IMO is actually better in his own end despite the size limitations than he is in the offensive zone. What, exactly, would make you say he's a good O defenseman?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just curious who you think should be getting his minutes then? Not defending Stoner, I just don't know who the Wild have that should get his ice time.

Nobody's night and day, but Scandella or Prosser would be my choices. We really need Spurgeon back though. Stoner's getting too many minutes and Scandy/Falk are liabilities with the puck as well, just not as much as Stoner.

That was my biggest take away as well. (However it is obvious that Brodin is the best D-man on this team already, and should replace Suter on the first PP. But management is probably afraid to do that to their brand new $100 MILLION boy)

As far as working the top of the umbrella on the PP, I've really liked Suter there. His play in the defensive end is not an indictment of his offensive and puck movement abilities. Especially when you consider he does have 3 PP assists. But Brodin will get his time.

Spurgeon is kind of a puck moving defenseman who is very good at breaking up plays in his end and starting the breakout. He's a good skater though not quick, has decent hands and puck skill but not to the point of being a real offensive threat or weapon, but is very undersized so relies on his positioning and ability to read plays.

Oddly enough, I ran the numbers for the Wild with him in and out of the lineup the last few years, and the Wild actually do slightly worse with him in the lineup. GFA drops 0.08, GAA raises 0.02, and Wild drop from a 0.531 team to a 0.500 team.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
As far as how emotional Seto was after the goal, you'd think that quell those who thought he didn't give a **** about being here. Just saying.

Good point.

He has been working his ass off, and he's been doing it for us.

I've been a huge proponent for trading the guy, but if he continues to at least to work as hard as he has, I would like to keep him around.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
very good is a HUGE overstatement. if you're talking about offensive defensemen, Marc-Andre Bergeron is many times better than Spurge.

spurge IMO is actually better in his own end despite the size limitations than he is in the offensive zone. What, exactly, would make you say he's a good O defenseman?

I actually agree with this. He makes a decent 3rd pairing guy, but I've just never been able to get on this train.

He sucks at keeping in the puck in the o zone. Seriously, how many times does it get passed to him and it always gets passed him. Brodin, Suter and Gilbert many times find a way to keep it in, but Spurg is like a sieve.

I am not saying I think he's awful, I just don't think he is as talented as all the hype. 4-6 d but no better.

Aug 3, 2010
Cool, thanks for all the inputs everyone.

So if I can summarize succinctly, undersized with vision and some mobility, but not quite good enough vision to overcome said lack of physical size; therefore, bottom three.

What kind of player does he need to be beside to excel? Pronger? :sarcasm:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Cool, thanks for all the inputs everyone.

So if I can summarize succinctly, undersized with vision and some mobility, but not quite good enough vision to overcome said lack of physical size; therefore, bottom three.

What kind of player does he need to be beside to excel? Pronger? :sarcasm:

I think his vision is fine, average or maybe slightly above?

I think his stick is too long. He's my height (pretend 5'9, actually 5'7) but his stick is actually taller than me off skates. That makes it REALLY hard to control the puck, especially in tight. So a lot of times he does lose the puck trying to keep it in along the boards. And I think it limits what he can do offensively.

Contrast that with say PM Bouchard, who's maybe an inch taller than I am IRL, and his stick is pretty average length, about an inch above my nose off skates. That's about 5-6" difference length.

I also think it's part of what limits Clutterbuck in terms of carrying the puck and making plays. To some extent. I don't think Clutter is ever going to be a real playmaker or anything.

But that's just my theory...

He should be paired with a physical defenseman who can clear the crease. Suter with Spurgeon started the year but Suter is not a physical guy and they left way too many players all alone in front.

I would say Gilbert would be a good pairing although that gives you two right hand shots...he's done well with Scandella but that kid is so up and down and Spurgeon is much more steady and can play more minutes. Maybe Suter and Gilbert on one pair and then Brodin and Spurgeon on another? I'd hate to saddle Spurgeon with Stoner, he'd get killed with Stoner's suicide passes. Maybe Prosser, who was physical last game? But again, two right hand shots...

Yes, Pronger would be ideal :D

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He should be paired with a physical defenseman who can clear the crease. Suter with Spurgeon started the year but Suter is not a physical guy and they left way too many players all alone in front.

I would say Gilbert would be a good pairing although that gives you two right hand shots...he's done well with Scandella but that kid is so up and down and Spurgeon is much more steady and can play more minutes. Maybe Suter and Gilbert on one pair and then Brodin and Spurgeon on another? I'd hate to saddle Spurgeon with Stoner, he'd get killed with Stoner's suicide passes. Maybe Prosser, who was physical last game? But again, two right hand shots...

I've always thought that Falk would work with Spurgeon, but the kid's too damn inconsistent. Same with Scandella.

Stoner would be the best choice from our line-up. Let Spurgeon handle the break-out and passing and maybe, just maybe he won't get killed.

Remember that Spurgeon's injury was from a blocked shot, not a hit. I don't think it's fair to hold that injury against him in any way.

Well, he's positioning is good, he has great instincts and makes solid tape-to-tape passes. His shot, as I mentioned, is good if not very powerful and he's very mobile. As you said, he is also good in his own zone with his poke check and gap control, but he is very underrated as an offensive force.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
i feel like falk always becomes the physical presence we want him to be when he is with Spurgeon.

Unfortunatley he has looked medicore like every other third pairing D for the wild this year.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Falk has been great this year. Showing what made him impressive during his rookie year. He plays a limited game, but it works. He's been physical and has been clearing the front of the net. Moving the puck decently.

Stoner is the guy who has looked over-extended. I love his physicality, but he should be limited to the bottom pairing.

eenok*

hellohello EENOK here and im from Finland:handclap:

hope to see success tonight and brave moves from granlund!

Feel team is coming for more success in near future. please god have feeling for team now on. amen

EENOK/IL, Hockeyprofessor ,Finland

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Falk has been great this year. Showing what made him impressive during his rookie year. He plays a limited game, but it works. He's been physical and has been clearing the front of the net. Moving the puck decently.

Stoner is the guy who has looked over-extended. I love his physicality, but he should be limited to the bottom pairing.

well then he would look great with spurgie. Although Spurgeon will probably just go on the second pairing with Gilbert anyway.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
hellohello EENOK here and im from Finland:handclap:

hope to see success tonight and brave moves from granlund!

Feel team is coming for more success in near future. please god have feeling for team now on. amen

EENOK/IL, Hockeyprofessor ,Finland

Hello!

HELAO (Helsingin Aikuisopisto) offers a wide variety of English courses designed for novice learners. You will be able to learn all of the important aspects of English language, such as proper punctuation, word structure and spelling.

I highly recommend you take a course or two and then come back, because I have no ****ing clue what you just said.

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Hello!

HELAO (Helsingin Aikuisopisto) offers a wide variety of English courses designed for novice learners. You will be able to learn all of the important aspects of English language, such as proper punctuation, word structure and spelling.

I highly recommend you take a course or two and then come back, because I have no ****ing clue what you just said.

I interpreted what eenok wrote as:

I hope the team wins tonight, and Granlund continues to improve.

I have a feeling that the Wild will be more successful going forward. Please God, I hope I'm right that they're successful. Amen.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
He's been trolling the Ducks board about Vatanen for a while now. Probably for the best to just ignore him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad