GDT: Game 10: Sharks vs. Canucks 7:30pm NBCSCA

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Really hope you guys win the lottery, genuinely. I have a soft spot for long suffering, cupless franchises. Would love to see Celebrini in teal.

Tank on, Sharkies.
The canucks would never win a cup with this core, they are great, but they will never beat a team in the playoffs that has tank for a several years. So yes, the strategy for the sharks is better than the canucks.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
First time seeing the team in person this year. Let's start with the positives, because why the hell not.

- Okhotiuk looks solid. Not great... But NHL roster ready.
- The team didn't stop skating, and actually had a fair few back to back dominant shifts in the third. Sure, the Canucks probably weren't skating, but still, the team didn't give up.
- Eklund looks as good in person as he looked on TV... which is to say, he belongs, and he plays a solid 2 way game. He does get knocked off the puck, but he also finds crafty ways to gain leverage and he's very crafty on the forecheck. Obviously with the puck he's one of our more dangerous forwards, although he's a bit too obsessed with his behind the net backdoor pass and it got sniffed out today.
- Labanc actually looked effective-ish in the forecheck.
- nice snipe by Zetterlund.

And now for the reality.

Man this team is bad. Passes into feet, pucks left behind, defense consistently makes the wrong play when we win possession in our zone and turn the puck over immediately, defensemen afraid to pinch leading to multiple fast break goals, two fwds in the same place on the PK, the few chances we got were squandered with pucks a foot over the crossbar or passes missed or carelessly given away... It just kept going and going. So many bad decisions, and turnovers, and failed breakouts. The problems really do start at the back. None of our defensemen can control puck and make a clean exit via pass or skating. As a result the forwards come deep and flip pucks out, and we do it all over again.

That, plus even though the first 3 goals were good shots, 1-2 of them could have been saves... also, some horrendous bad luck. Ferraro looked god awful out there but at least he skates hard in between terrible puck decisions and getting burned.

Sturm is a winner. I hope we can keep him through the dark years or he'll be a trade asset and play an important role on a good playoff team. Duke looks snakebitten and gripping his stick. Hertl needs someone who can create and threaten in the space that he forces open around the net.

We're just 4 top 6 forwards, 2 bottom 6 forwards, and 4 top 4 defensemen away from having a team that can win games.

I knew all that, but feeling it in person is different. Brutal.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Really hope you guys win the lottery, genuinely. I have a soft spot for long suffering, cupless franchises. Would love to see Celebrini in teal.

Tank on, Sharkies.

I'm with ya - SJ can win the lottery and take Celebrini. Then the Hawks can take Eiserman with the 2nd pick. Yeah, I'm good with Eiserman on Bedard's wing.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
SNOG announcement

Unfortunately, the score isn't right... however, this does get an honorable mention tonight for the highlighted reasons.

View attachment 762306

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 12 vs Golden KnightsNewMuzu24, weastern biasVGK 4-1
2Oct. 14 vs AvalanchenoneAvs 2-1 SO
3Oct. 17 vs HurricanesTheBeardCanes 6-3
4Oct. 19 vs BruinsnoneBruins 3-1
5Oct. 21 at PredatorsnonePredators 5-1
6Oct. 24 at Panthersweastern biasPanthers 3-1
7Oct. 26 at LightningRed Light LoverLightning 6-0
8Oct. 27 at HurricanesPattyLafontaineCanes 3-0
9Oct. 29 at CapitalsnoneCapitals 3-1
10Nov. 2 vs CanucksnoneCanucks 10-1

Rank
2023-24 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.weastern bias2
T-2.NewMuzu24, PattyLafontaine, Red Light Lover, TheBeard1
@weastern bias , I hope you'll remember what your cowardice cost you next time

I swear, this isn't what I meant, lol

"WE WANT TEN!"

"NO, NOT THAT WAY!"

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
12.19% of the way through the season

0-10, 1 point in the standings

Outshot by 127

Outscored by 35 (34 discounting the shootout goal)

On pace for the 2nd worst offense of all time, the single worst offense in 10 years, and the only offense in the bottom-25 all time since World War 2

We're on pace to finish the year with 8 points in the standings

It's okay, Logan Couture and Mikeal Granlund will fix this

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Crushing defeats are exactly what this team needs. They need to accept that this team is very very far away from being competitive. Next step is unloading veterans that have any trade value for more draft picks. Rebuilding from the draft is the only option this team has.

I'm very excited knowing this team will have very high draft picks in the foreseeable future, potentially top-3's. I consider this to be akin to the Warriors before they got Curry and Klay.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Crushing defeats are exactly what this team needs. They need to accept that this team is very very far away from being competitive. Next step is unloading veterans that have any trade value for more draft picks. Rebuilding from the draft is the only option this team has.

I'm very excited knowing this team will have very high draft picks in the foreseeable future, potentially top-3's. I consider this to be akin to the Warriors before they got Curry and Klay.

Difference is in the NBA two star (one being a superstar) players can take a team from the bottom of the league to near the top.

NHL equivalent would be if we drafted a franchise center, a couple of star wingers and some star defenseman in two drafts.

Also losing this badly can lead to a Buffalo situation of over a decade with no playoffs and still not a contender

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

That's the route the Hawks chose to take and they're in year-2 of a multi-year rebuild. I think the key is to tear it all down so the salary cap gets reset and in sync with the rebuild - no half way measures. Will that plan work? We'll see in a few years.

Reactions: dmcccdmn

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It probably won't happen until the offseason but we need to trade Hertl ASAP while he still has some semblance of value. Playing on this team is going to do serious harm to how the league perceives him.

Not expecting to get much back. Priority should be not retaining any salary. It still pisses me off that Doug left us with one last steaming turd on the way out.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad