GDT: Game 10: Canada Vs Russia | 1PM EST 7PM CET | RUS 6 - 0 CAN

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not trying to say anything positive about the US team lol, just that it's not surprising Canada struggled vs Russia.

I wasn't surprised that the Russians came out like gang-busters.

I am surprised that Canada had no response.

I don't know how much of that was the team folding after their top player went down. Even so, it was a passive display for the most part.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
better take the terrible loss now than in the playoffs.

still, a 0-6 loss is shocking. How did it happen? At Canadas level it shouldnt be possible.

Reactions: NyQuil

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I guess I can only speak for what I remember.
I remember it, too.

But I bet you 98% of Canadians can't remember who we lost to in Game 1 (Sweden) or who we were playing against in Game 2 (the Czechs) that caused Wayne to respond.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

still, a 0-6 loss is shocking. How did it happen? At Canadas level it shouldnt be possible.
Agree. Better now than in the playoffs.

Canada went in over confident. The first goal should not have counted, Russia played great / inspired after their loss to the Czechs, and it snow-balled.

On paper, this should have been a win for Canada.

If we meet, again, I expect a Canadian win.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Just beat all over the ice.

I'd say the most impressive aspects were:

1. Russia's goalie was completely unflappable back there. Never really looked troubled. Canada's goalies were both twitchy and uncomfortable.

2. Russia's defence boxed out all of the Canadian forwards and allowed few if any rebound attempts and no real access to the crease/slot.

3. Russia's forwards frequently walked Canada's D, skating around them with ease, or finding ways of getting between them and the net unhindered.

4. Russia was far more physical and won the vast majority of puck battles. Canada spent a lot of time trying to make things happen offensively when they were outnumbered, bringing the puck in 1 on 3 or 2 on 4. Canada threw a few big hits, but lost most of the board play.

Can't really find fault with any part of Russia's game, except maybe when they didn't really get a good chance on their 5 on 3 opportunity. As it stood, it didn't end up making a difference.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Just beat all over the ice.

I'd say the most impressive aspects were:

1. Russia's goalie was completely unflappable back there. Never really looked troubled.

2. Russia's defence boxed out all of the Canadian forwards and allowed few if any rebound attempts and no real access to the crease/slot.

3. Russia's forward frequently walked Canada's D, skating around them with ease, or finding ways of getting between them and the net unhindered.

4. Russia was far more physical and won the vast majority of puck battles. Canada spent a lot of time trying to make things happen offensively when they were outnumbered.

Can't really find fault with any part of Russia's game, except maybe when they didn't really get a good chance on their 5 on 3 opportunity. As it stood, it didn't end up making a difference.
Could very well set up a Sweden-Canada quarter.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Every team in group b has 3 pts after 2 games...

None will get relegated, and this basically guarantees Kazkhstan will be, and they'll be smoked, but could you imagine if a powerhouse ended up in the relegation round.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I don't think they will but, if they do, good on them.

That being said, my guess, the Gold Medal winner comes from this pool - all this adversity will make these teams better.
Ya agreed. I would be ok with Germany doing well if we don’t. Too early to tell though. Sweden, Finland are always tough.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
I don't get being hard on these kids for celebrating. My only frame of reference as far as dominance in a sport would be a team beating the US in basketball and I would expect that winner to celebrate like they knocked off a giant - it is the opposite of disrespect.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad