GDT: Game 10: Canada Vs Russia | 1PM EST 7PM CET | RUS 6 - 0 CAN

Habsrule1

Jan 1, 2012
Saint John
Daws should be on a plane heading back to Wherever he lives, I hope for his junior teams sake that they score 8 goals a game.... I hate blaming a loss on 1 player however, those first 3 goals were soft and the first one was embarrassing! I hope he doesn’t even dress again. Absolutely embarrassing, we (Canada) used to develop top quality goaltenders but now we struggle to develop average goalies....

Reactions: gab6511 and Mehar

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Giving Canada its biggest loss ever (since best on best) gives me almost as much satisfaction as winning the gold

What was more impressive than the score was the on-ice play.

You can lose big because you give up a bunch of goals, but it was a pretty dominant performance from beginning to end.

Expectations have been raised for this Russian team.

I'm looking forward to see how they handle the Americans.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
So, everything Russia does is classless, and everything Canada does is the epitome of sportsmanship?

Give me a break.

I called out the Russians for Kovalchuk leaving the ice at the World Championships before the Canadian anthem.

The game is over. Show some class.

Of course not.
Didn't say anything positive about Canada, so not sure where you get "epitome of sportsmanship" bs. They didn't lose their cool when they had plenty of goading -- so I guess I'll give them that. Meanwhile Sokolov cross-checks Smith in the neck in the dying seconds of a blowout. On this day one team was clearly the better one, and it also happened to have no class.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Not sure if I agree with Jeff O’Neill.

“It’s not about Xs and Os. Just everyone has to elevate their game.”

When you get beaten all over the ice, something is wrong with the Xs and Os.
Agreed. It just seems lazy to me to say "everyone needs to work harder!" It's a bit like saying, "Do that again, just better." I think there was a psychological component to this game. Canada came in thinking it would be easy, and Russia came in thinking they had to fight for their lives. Then Lafreniere goes down, and nobody steps up. They looked like they thought they were doomed. I know coaching isn't magic, but part of their job is to take a group of players with that kind of negative mindset and make them believe again. That didn't happen today. They just kinda stayed that way.

I just feel like Canada needs to start over. Break up the lines. Think about relaxing the system a little. Let them be more creative if they can. Give everybody a fresh look at things. Take your day off, go do something fun and distracting. Get their minds off it.

Reactions: NyQuil

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
OHL players need to pick it up doing nothing?

A bit disappointed with Byfield so far. It wouldn't change my opinion of him even if he didn't register one point for the rest of the tournament. He will be a great player but for now he needs to play with more of an edge , grit. and be far less passive. Someone needs to slap him in the face with a silk glove lol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agreed. It just seems lazy to me to say "everyone needs to work harder!" It's a bit like saying, "Do that again, just better." I think there was a psychological component to this game. Canada came in thinking it would be easy, and Russia came in thinking they had to fight for their lives. Then Lafreniere goes down, and nobody steps up. They looked like they thought they were doomed. I know coaching isn't magic, but part of their job is to take a group of players with that kind of negative mindset and make them believe again. That didn't happen today. They just kinda stayed that way.

I just feel like Canada needs to start over. Break up the lines. Think about relaxing the system a little. Let them be more creative if they can. Give everybody a fresh look at things. Take your day off, go do something fun and distracting. Get their minds off it.

You agree its X's and O's and then elaborate on emotion and mindset ...nothing to do with X's and O's.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They didn't lose their cool when they had plenty of goading -- so I guess I'll give them that. Meanwhile Sokolov cross-checks Smith in the neck in the dying seconds of a blowout. On this day one team was clearly the better one, and it also happened to have no class.

You say "they didn't lose their cool", I see a team that was pretty passive. You see a team that "had no class", and I see a team that imposed its will on their opponent.

I've been on the other end of games like this, like the WJC Gold Medal victory against Sweden (when they had Hedman, Karlsson and Markstrom) back in 2009.

Canada bullied the Swedes around the ice, ran the goalie three times, and everyone gloated about how "they got into Sweden's heads" and "put them off their game".

Crowd boos Hedman, Markstrom after goalie knocked over by Canada

Winning is winning.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You agree its X's and O's and then elaborate on emotion and mindset ...nothing to do with X's and O's.
I think it's also X's and O's. The part about the system. I think it's absurd to say everything went wrong, but nothing had anything to do with the system. That's a bit like saying your car broke down, but the problem isn't any of the parts.

My real expectation, though, is that they're going to bag skate these kids into Bolivian, yell about how they're letting the country down, practice the system some more, and nothing will get any better.

Reactions: NyQuil

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's also X's and O's. The part about the system. I think it's absurd to say everything went wrong, but nothing had anything to do with the system. That's a bit like saying your car broke down, but the problem isn't any of the parts.

My real expectation, though, is that they're going to bag skate these kids into Bolivian, practice the system some more, and nothing will get any better.

Looked like a flat team that wasn't ready to play physically or mentally to me.

Reactions: theVladiator

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
To pip Finland for the gold, Canada needed to beat the Soviets by five goals or more in the final game. When the fight broke out with 6:07 left in the second period, Canada were up by two.

It's not like the Finns were some lucky chumps who got handed the gold by their betters.
You are probably right. I thought that Canada simply needed a win against the Soviets to win the championship.

Reactions: Porvari

blindpass

May 7, 2010

I agree with this. Everybody wants to catastrophize and point fingers. This is the same team that beat the US (minus Lafreniere, I guess) and mostly the same Russian team that lost to the Czechs. Psychology plays a huge part. If the US had scored the 3rd goal maybe that game gets out of hand. If the first one here is called offside maybe things don't snowball out of control. How they respond to a demoralizing loss and injury will be interesting to see. It'll be a tough thing to overcome. I'd like to see them cross paths with Russia again in the medal round. Might be the same outcome, but interesting to see how they can respond.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He put up 30 wins and 30 losses in the regular season with a hugely talented team, and then lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Wasn’t brought back for a second season, as he was making very poor use of his talent. I’d say it was a far from successful coaching stint.

The team was in 11th place at the time though and he helped them get into the playoffs and then won the first round. He got a lot out of a season that was going nowhere.

It's also not correct to say he "wasn't brought back". He left of his own accord.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree with this. Everybody wants to catastrophize and point fingers. This is the same team that beat the US (minus Lafreniere, I guess) and mostly the same Russian team that lost to the Czechs. Psychology plays a huge part. If the US had scored the 3rd goal maybe that game gets out of hand. If the first one here is called offside maybe things don't snowball or of control. How they respond to a demoralizing loss and injury will be interesting to see. It'll be a tough thing to overcome. If like to see them cross paths with Russia again in the medal round. Might be the same outcome, but interesting to see how they can respond.

There have been years where I've been worried because the team hasn't faced any adversity until the medal round and you just don't know how they're going to respond.

I will say that this is a lot more adversity than I had in mind.

The Russians could be busy celebrating their historical win against Canada and then get dummied by a pretty potent USA offence.

It's an interesting tournament this year.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I do not think this can be blamed on Daws. Yes, he let in a couple of softies, but when the team scores 0 goals, it's not just the goalie. Daws had a bad game, and so did the rest of the team.

I am quite surprised how overmatched team Canada looked. On paper the 1st round pick count is 12-3 in favour of Canada, so the talent is there. Looked quite opposite on the ice. At any rate, this is the 2nd game of the tourney, plenty of time to regain the footing.

Reactions: blindpass

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I do not think this can be blamed on Daws. Yes, he let in a couple of softies, but when the team scores 0 goals, it's not just the goalie. Daws had a bad game, and so did the rest of the team.

Boy, it's a tough way to start a hockey game against a big rival.

I am quite surprised how overmatched team Canada looked. On paper the 1st round pick count is 12-3 in favour of Canada, so the talent is there. Looked quite opposite on the ice. At any rate, this is the 2nd game of the tourney, plenty of time to regain the footing.

I was surprised it was sustained for the entire game.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Didn't say anything positive about Canada, so not sure where you get "epitome of sportsmanship" bs. They didn't lose their cool when they had plenty of goading -- so I guess I'll give them that. Meanwhile Sokolov cross-checks Smith in the neck in the dying seconds of a blowout. On this day one team was clearly the better one, and it also happened to have no class.
Was it wrong to keep the helmet on? Yes, of course. But Russia really does take dirty play and gloating to another level. And they do that against every team so it's not just a Canadian thing. I, like you, wish it would stop.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada is in a pickle. On paper, Daws should be the easy choice, but he hasn't been good and he hasn't inspired confidence.

He looks intimidated out there. Like he's afraid to play his game because the stakes are so high. That's not good.

There was a goal against the Americans where he literally didn't move.

Goal one today was a fluke but he also panicked. Goal three was weak and so was the one when he should have gotten his pad to the other goal post. Again, not good.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The team was in 11th place at the time though and he helped them get into the playoffs and then won the first round. He got a lot out of a season that was going nowhere.

It's also not correct to say he "wasn't brought back". He left of his own accord.
12-9-1 when he took over, 30-23-7 with him, basically identical. Boudreau had a long run but the team was sick of him, normally there’s a significant “new coach bump” in those situations, especially when the team is so talented and underperforming, but Hunter didn’t get one. And a lot of firings are framed as a “mutual decision to part ways, want to spend more time with my family”. It may have been that for real, but I’m always special when that’s the public reason.

Last edited:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Not sure if it was posted already but the issue at the end of the game is that Hayton kept his helmet on during the national anthem.
Not very captain like

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad