Post-Game Talk: Game 10: 11/1 - Anaheim Ducks vs Arizona Coyotes - 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks win 4-3 in OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I know probably no one but me cares any more, so I'll just apologize in advance for bringing it up. But the Ducks' game-tying goal was a good example of a player being in the crease without affecting the goalie. Jones was behind Vejmelka in the crease but didn't make any contact, didn't prevent Vejmelka's movement, and didn't obscure his vision of the play. Under the old "skate in the crease" rule, the goal would have been disallowed despite the player in the crease not influencing the goalie's play in any way.

The rule as it stands isn't perfect, but I'm glad we don't deal with that any more.

Also, I wish Jones had hands. And hockey sense. He's a good forechecker, but more talented players should never pass him the puck in space and hope he can make a play. He did some good things on the top line when he could be physical with defenders, but any passes that came his way might as well have been dropped down a well.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Hard fought game given the circumstances. The resilience these guys continue to show is pretty remarkable. Well earned 3 days rest and they looked like they could use it after these last 2 games.

Huge test on Sunday vs Vegas.

Also, Z and T get split up and Terry explodes with a 4 point night & a hatty. Coincidence?

Brad Pitt Hmm GIF - Brad Pitt Hmm Narrowed Eyes - Discover & Share GIFs

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I know probably no one but me cares any more, so I'll just apologize in advance for bringing it up. But the Ducks' game-tying goal was a good example of a player being in the crease without affecting the goalie. Jones was behind Vejmelka in the crease but didn't make any contact, didn't prevent Vejmelka's movement, and didn't obscure his vision of the play. Under the old "skate in the crease" rule, the goal would have been disallowed despite the player in the crease not influencing the goalie's play in any way.

The rule as it stands isn't perfect, but I'm glad we don't deal with that any more.

Also, I wish Jones had hands. And hockey sense. He's a good forechecker, but more talented players should never pass him the puck in space and hope he can make a play. He did some good things on the top line when he could be physical with defenders, but any passes that came his way might as well have been dropped down a well.
Like Jones’ effort a lot but he just loses way too many battles. And it’s completely traceable to his hockey sense - obviously not an issue with strength or effort.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Jones actually slashes the goalie's stick and blocker while he's making the save.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
People keep identifying resilience in this team, but the bulk of the team was from Eakins' era where the team never quit. The biggest difference between the two is that the Eakins crew barely had enough talent at ES that their strategy was to get to OT early in the season. Remember how so many people were complaining that despite notching points, the end post moved to "not winning in regulation".

Ducks2022-23
Game SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts Pct
Total
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
30.0%​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
41.7%​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
50.0%​
62 to 82
21​
3​
13​
5​
11​
26.2%​

Ducks'22-2331 games played
AfterDucks31 games
TeamWinsReg WinsNon-Reg wins
VGK
21​
15​
6​
Wpg
18​
12​
6​
Mtl
14​
8​
6​
Ana
7​
1​
6​
Bos
23​
18​
5​
TB
18​
13​
5​
Min
15​
10​
5​
Car
16​
12​
4​
Sea
16​
12​
4​
Col
15​
11​
4​
Nas
12​
8​
4​
Van
12​
8​
4​
StL
13​
9​
4​
NJ
21​
18​
3​
NYI
17​
14​
3​
NYR
15​
12​
3​
LA
15​
12​
3​
SJ
10​
7​
3​
Col
10​
7​
3​
Tor
19​
17​
2​
Dal
17​
15​
2​
Pit
17​
15​
2​
Emd
17​
15​
2​
Det
13​
11​
2​
Cal
13​
11​
2​
Buf
13​
11​
2​
Ott
12​
10​
2​
Chi
7​
5​
2​
Was
15​
14​
1​
Fla
14​
13​
1​
Ari
9​
8​
1​
Phi
9​
9​
0​

If this team wasn't resilient, then we'd have to question Cronin. Eakins' offensive scheme was pinching D-men and rotating forwards. Fowler had set career high in points in consecutive seasons and Drysdale notched 32 points as a rookie. Eakins' defensive scheme was man, but that was a long learning curve. Eakins' assistant coach in charge of the defense was Stothers, who was retained by Verbeek as a special assistant (due to his cancer treatment). It's weird to hear Hazy say we're doing something new in this year's telecast when he identified we were doing that last year, but not to a great degree of success.

Last year's defensive starters Beaulieu, Benoit, White, and Harrington are in the AHL or Europe. Klingberg is racking up negative +/-. Kulikov is decent in a middle pairing with Florida, but Florida makes even bad d-men, like Mahura, look competent in box scores. Kulikov was part of our top pairing last year. That's how abysmal our blue line talent was last year.

Cronin has taken this team to a newer heights with the foundation laid down by Eakins with far more attention to detail with the X's and O's. With more talent on the blueline, we're a much better ES team along with pinching D-men in Minchy and LaCombe (more Minchy and sparse appearances by LaCombe). Cronin alluded that since they were not able to practice during the road trip, their attention to detail hasn't been great and they're not dominating at ES like the start of the season. We got lost on man-to-man defense a couple of times that cost us, but we're lightyears ahead of Eakins b/c of Cronin's attention to detail.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Lol only disappointment was Johnston not giving Beagle treatment to Cooley after he skilled it up showing off his speed.
The Ducks should have given it to the guy who slashed Dostal after the whistle since it was okay for the Coyotes to do that last year and because there are no consequences for doing that. Oh wait, the Ducks got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for doing that.

There are definitely two penalty standards in the NHL: one for the Ducks and another for the other teams. There probably were more missed calls during the game, but in the very least, there was the missed penalty on the first interference right before the second pick was called, the Keller boarding on Johnston, the missed cross check by Crouse that led to his go ahead goal, the missed high stick on Jones and the non-call for ripping Jones' helmet off, the non-call for Durzi's instigator, and the missed call that led to Zegras' retaliatory slash (that got called). These all were in ONE game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad