Post-Game Talk: Game 10: 11/1 - Anaheim Ducks vs Arizona Coyotes - 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks win 4-3 in OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Here's the video recap of the game.

The Yotes first goal had a lot of follies.
1. LaCombe didn't get the puck out deep enough, but still out of the zone.
2. Fowler fumbled the puck behind the net.
3. Our 4th line got lost on assignment that LaCombe left his guy to get the puck handler in the middle of the ice.

The Yotes 2nd goal was on McTavish. He was out there too long as the top line winger were on the ice. He didn't communicate with Fowler that he was going off and Fowler assumed Mac was sticking with Cooley. LaCombe had tagged the puck handler Moser (#90). Because Mac went in for a change, but also pushed Cooley forward into the Ducks Dzone, it created a 2v1 situation that LaCombe had to twist and quickly get on his horse to catch up to Cooley, but Cooley was already skating in a forward position and LaCombe was not.

Maybe Fowler should have paid more attention, but ultimately, Mac needed to communicate better or get off the ice earlier.

Third goal was a blatant missed cross-check on Gudas.

The team needs to work on defensive assignments b/c we've gotten lost a few times in this game. We play man and sometimes do a great job passing off assignments, but other times not so much.

Curious if Dostal gets an assist on the OT game winner in the morning b/c he did stop the puck, which Mac collected on his way to giving Terry the GWG hat trick.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
We dont know what management want to see in Carlsson every game. I wonder what they are training inbetween games. If it is realy hard training he might be overtrained some gamenights. When he will be better on faceoffs the line will get possession faster and everything will be easier. Pointwise this must be a ok series of games in NHL. Timing and learning the new surface must be what takes the longest time. Just need patience.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Just finished watching on DVR delay. This struck me as a typical "first game after a road trip" where the home team often comes out a little flat/tired. And with Strome out, the mixed lines seemed to create a little disconnect.

This was the first game Leo looked a little worn out. With 3 days off, maybe he plays the next game. But he lacked a little of his typical jump and sharpness.

Minty's play where he overpowered Dumba and led the transition to a goal was perhaps one of the best plays I've seen from a ducks D-man since the Niedermayer/Pronger era. The combination of vision, strength, skating, and skill was incredible.

Fowler's minutes are not sustainable and its really showing in his play. They need to take him off the power play and maybe the PK. Drysdale presumably would be on the PP so his absence is having a real impact. Bottom line, Fowler is not playing well and I think its in part due to the workload.

Another solid game from Leeson. So improved. And here's a random thought I had - having Johnston has really made Carrick a much better player. Rather than enforcing, Carrick is having a huge physical impact on games with his forecheck and I think its a big mental help for him to know he doesn't need to take on heavyweights. And Johnston has been solid - about as much as you could expect from that type of player.

Huge game for Terry's confidence. Hopefully its sustains. I don't worry about Z's confidence but hopefully he breaks out soon.

Looking forward to see the game against Vegas. They are the top team in the league but the ducks are much improved then the first matchup.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
When talking to Hockey news (Swedish utubechannel). Leo has not been satesfied with the last three games. he belives he is thinking to much and need to stop that. Said his hip probably will not be 100% anytime soon. But that he was ok.

The line:
" A lot of games, but now i am on this (damn) low management so i dont play all games. But it is ok anyway"

Makes me think he want to play all games, but understand that not doing that at this stage is for the best.

Hope he find a way to go more on instinct next game.

Reactions: Doothpick and Kalv
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
When talking to Hockey news (Swedish utubechannel). Leo has not been satesfied with the last three games. he belives he is thinking to much and need to stop that. Said his hip probably will not be 100% anytime soon. But that he was ok.

The line:
" A lot of games, but now i am on this (damn) low management so i dont play all games. But it is ok anyway"

Makes me think he want to play all games, but understand that not doing that at this stage is for the best.

Hope he find a way to go more on instinct next game.
Do you have a source for that quote?

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro

He's laughing about it at the end of the video. Basically saying verbatim what ZEBROA pointed out, albeit with an amused, humorous tone when he mentions his "damned low management or whatever you want to call it" regime.

Strikes me as a slightly frustrated reaction, but one that he's regardless buying into.

Kinda cool that they're letting a Swedish YouTube channel into the locker room for reporting, though.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

I dont know how your Swedish is. At about 2.23 in the clip . i see now that i did not quote that exactly , but the consensus is there.
"offcourse there are a lot of games, but now im on that damn low management , or what its called, so i don play all the games , it is ok anyways"

As u can se he is happy saying this so he dont seem to have any hard feelings against the idea.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

He's laughing about it at the end of the video. Basically saying verbatim what ZEBROA pointed out, albeit with an amused, humorous tone when he mentions his "damned low management or whatever you want to call it" regime.

Strikes me as a slightly frustrated reaction, but one that he's regardless buying into.

Kinda cool that they're letting a Swedish YouTube channel into the locker room for reporting, though.

giphy.gif

I dont know how your Swedish is. At about 2.23 in the clip . i see now that i did not quote that exactly , but the consensus is there.
"offcourse there are a lot of games, but now im on that damn low management , or what its called, so i don play all the games , it is ok anyways"

As u can se he is happy saying this so he dont seem to have any hard feelings against the idea.

Thanks. Yeah I mean I hear him say "low management" in English so I can see his expression as he says it. Seems like he thinks it sucks but it's fine.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I'll gladly let ZEBROA interpret for us for the rest of Leo's career. I do speak Swedish to a degree but good lord if he wasn't speaking fast enough (and also stuttering, but he's soldiering through that remarkably well so all the admiration to him for that) to confuse the living hell out of me.

I should probably get out more. Not enough language contact, it seems.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was on the fence about this game management with Leo, but think it may be the best thing. He is going to play 1C mins or close to it, when he is playing, and it will give him the off days to work out and etc.

Kid is only 18 yo and is already making an impact with Ducks wins. So excited for the Ducks future.

Just want Zegras to catch fire now. A couple of multi point games and he is back on track .

It’s amazing how we have an 18, 19, and 20 being huge contributing factors to these wins.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Experimental mid-season strength and conditioning program that no one else in the hockey world understands.
Player dislikes it.
Player has looked slower and weaker since starting the strength and conditioning program.

Seems like a success so far.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think he's so outstanding on the PK that he needs to be a fixture. Vaaks or Minty could take a few of his PK shifts.
I’m surprised Minyukov hasn’t gotten pk mins…. I assume hed instantly be an upgrade over he who must not be named

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m surprised Minyukov hasn’t gotten pk mins…. I assume hed instantly be an upgrade over he who must not be named
The stats don’t bear that out this year. Every other regular PK defenseman has given up more goals per SH shift than Fowler.

SHTOI, GA

Fowler 44:24, 5
Gudas 36:52, 7
Lybushkin 36:11, 4
LaCombe 33:42, 6
Mintyukov 7:04, 2

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The stats don’t bear that out this year. Every other regular PK defenseman has given up more goals per SH shift than Fowler.

SHTOI, GA

Pretty surprising tbh…. Cause there’s been some games where he looked ugly on pk…. That being said gudas gets caught in transisitonal play a few times.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

SHTOI, GA

I wonder if it's because the PK1 d-pair has better PK1 forward-pairing. Fowler-Lyubushkin is the PK1 d-pair.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Post-game interview with Cronin

Cronin identified the problem with Terry (and later on in the interview with Luneau) is they always want to carry the puck rather than have a off-puck game. '21-22 Terry did play off-puck b/c Getz was there that season. Last year, Terry played more puck hero. Terry's improved the off-puck part in recent games and there's more offensive chances. When talking about Luneau, Cronin identified how Luneau gets into trouble with holding the puck instead of giving it up early. All CHL OFD's have this trait of carrying the puck all the time, but Minchy has adapted to giving the puck up earlier.

Lots of loving on Minchy! Once Minchy solidifies his defense, then he'll probably rein terror onto the league.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Cronin identified the problem with Terry (and later on in the interview with Luneau) is they always want to carry the puck rather than have a off-puck game. '21-22 Terry did play off-puck b/c Getz was there that season. Last year, Terry played more puck hero. Terry's improved the off-puck part in recent games and there's more offensive chances. When talking about Luneau, Cronin identified how Luneau gets into trouble with holding the puck instead of giving it up early. All CHL OFD's have this trait of carrying the puck all the time, but Minchy has adapted to giving the puck up earlier.

Lots of loving on Minchy! Once Minchy solidifies his defense, then he'll probably rein terror onto the league.

This is one of the reasons why Z and Terry don’t work. We see flashes but overall the line has too many cooks in the kitchen.

Leo and Terry are finding some nice chemistry, that whole tying goal was an example of that . It was also the only Ducks 5 on 5 goal.

Funny how special teams won this game for us, even after a sluggish start, it’s a very good sign.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

The guy oozes hockey knowledge it really is a pleasure to listen to him. He seems like the perfect candidate to coach all the youngins.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Kinda concerning to hear Carlssons' hip still isn't 100% but I guess that's the life of a pro athlete.

On the flip side I'm not overly concerned about him laughing about the low/load management bit. To me it seems like he's laughing because he knows people are talking about it

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is one of the reasons why Z and Terry don’t work. We see flashes but overall the line has too many cooks in the kitchen.

Leo and Terry are finding some nice chemistry, that whole tying goal was an example of that . It was also the only Ducks 5 on 5 goal.

Funny how special teams won this game for us, even after a sluggish start, it’s a very good sign.

It's one of the reasons why Terry was having difficulty having compatibility issues with top-6 forwards. With the Mac line, all three don't mind playing off-puck because if an opportunity arises for each to score, then they will know they'll get the puck. If Terry can shed "puck hero Terry" and embrace '21-22 Terry again, then Terry can be compatible with all players.

I think Cronin using Luneau as an indirect way to explain the troubles of puck hogging verses giving the puck up was deviously good! If Terry plays like '21-22 Terry, then he'll have more chances to score b/c he won't be narrowminded offensively with the puck to limit offensive chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad