GDT: Game 1 - hurricanes play jets - 8 pee emm east time zone

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
How was Hanifin a negative? Played steady ... Was a -2 but neither he can be faulted for on skinner turnover and a 2 on 1 in ot that I believe was a skinner turnover..... Not to mention he's paired with a guy he's never practiced with never mind play a game with ....

Pheno Zarky

Dec 9, 2007
Now because of the result of this game they gonna play a boring defensive style with only a one goal lead like last year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How was Hanifin a negative? Played steady ... Was a -2 but neither he can be faulted for on skinner turnover and a 2 on 1 in ot that I believe was a skinner turnover..... Not to mention he's paired with a guy he's never practiced with never mind play a game with ....

Just curious, are you related to him? Seems like anytime anyone says anything remotely negative about him, you come to his defense.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

He didn't look very steady with the puck most of the game, played it like a hot potato. He got a bit undressed on the skinner turnover, but that was 95% on skinner.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
How was Hanifin a negative? Played steady ... Was a -2 but neither he can be faulted for on skinner turnover ....

Hanifin nearly fell over trying to get back on the Skinner turnover. Balance issue, possibly because he added so much bulk over the off season. That said, I do think Skinner was more at fault than Hanifin definitely

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

He just didn't look that great last night. The Skinner turnover wasn't his fault, but he played it awful and got undressed. I agree with some others, in that he didn't look comfortable with the puck, and I didn't see his speed/skating ability last night either.

Having said that, it's only one game, and his shot seems a lot better to me this year.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
He just didn't look that great last night. The Skinner turnover wasn't his fault, but he played it awful and got undressed. I agree with some others, in that he didn't look comfortable with the puck, and I didn't see his speed/skating ability last night either.

Having said that, it's only one game, and his shot seems a lot better to me this year.

His shot definitely appears to have improved. That elevated finesse slapper he scored on WSH with in pre-season, and last nights point shot have me wondering how much time he spent working on it in the off-season. I'm sure there is a quote somewhere regarding that, but I haven't seen it.

Last edited:

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Just curious, are you related to him? Seems like anytime anyone says anything remotely negative about him, you come to his defense.

Maybe I'm his father, maybe I'm his brother , maybe I'm his highschool teammate, maybe I'm Jerry York :handclap: don't worry about it ... Maybe I'm just a fan

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
It is only one hockey game.. relax a little bit. New season, lots of new players, one of the youngest teams in the league. Skinners bone headed giveaway threw big mo into the jets lap and they ran with it. Give this group a few months to jell, they should be fine.....

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe I'm his father, maybe I'm his brother , maybe I'm his highschool teammate, maybe I'm Jerry York :handclap: don't worry about it ... Maybe I'm just a fan

So in other words, you can't be unbiased. Lighten up, we all like Hanifin, but unlike you, we can be unbiased

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I didn't think Hanifin looked bad necessarily but he needs to be playing with a better D partner at this point, he's not yet to the point where he can make up for the mistakes of others.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I've been a bit concerned since we pulled off the trade that everyone was so positive we won. It was a risky move I don't thing was wrong to try, but I don't think much of TT at this point. I've watched him quite a bit, and he looks like a perimeter player to me. He's not very gritty and he's had trouble finding his place. I'm not trying to be overboard about it, he could absolutely figure it out. When we talk about where PDG should be how he fits in, if there isn't an injury for him to fill I think TT could be the first top 9 to sit down. Going into this season, I think Aho looks like a stronger player than TT. I have faith that center will bring more out of Lindy.

It's only one game, TT could blow it up. Right now though, I'm not as pumped as others have been about him.

I agree Hanifin hasn't looked strong enough defensively in his career, and didn't look better in this game. I would also agree with anyone that said he could've used some more development. He does have the skating though, and maybe that can keep him safe enough for long enough to learn the league. I'm not really worried about him yet, and I'm happy we have a couple of more guys coming in to spell him if that's the best thing. Last year he was here almost by default and because they needed him signed quick to make sure they kept him. This year we have a lot more depth, that could be very helpful to Hanifin.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I'm with Hanifin's mystery benefactor.

I thought his defensive game looked amazing. Physically, he was winning battles clean, and the end result was not getting pinned in his own zone repeatedly like last year.

And the Skinner turnover, he was going one way, and had to try and do a surprise complete 180. I don't think physics allows a player to recover there. Things are looking way up on the defensive front.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So after game 1, we've already had folks giving up on certain players, reading into post game quotes a bit too much, and of course the Ward sucks echoes. The great Canes board posters were in mid season form in the last preseason loss, now looks like we are already in the playoff, errrr I mean tank push. Kudos to everyone for staying sharp in the offseason.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
As for some actual analysis that I'm sure you guys are waiting on the edge of your seats for:

2 D in OT shouldn't happen anymore. There's no reason. You've got enough players to have 4 full units to run through. Skinner taking the face-off in the offensive zone with 2 defenseman is just handing possession to the opposing team when you should be in an advantageous offensive position. Seems like common sense to not do that.

Something that I've observed over last season and now in game 1 this year is that Faulk has no clue how to play 3 on 3. He just doesn't get how important possession is. He forces passes for no reason and takes harmless unscreened shots that the goalie can play off to a defenseman. Last night he got on the wrong side of his man giving away the 2 on 1. I don't think it's a coincidence Slavin was the 1st guy up in OT.

That's all I've got, I blacked out the first 60 minutes.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
As for some actual analysis that I'm sure you guys are waiting on the edge of your seats for:

2 D in OT shouldn't happen anymore. There's no reason. You've got enough players to have 4 full units to run through. Skinner taking the face-off in the offensive zone with 2 defenseman is just handing possession to the opposing team when you should be in an advantageous offensive position. Seems like common sense to not do that.

Something that I've observed over last season and now in game 1 this year is that Faulk has no clue how to play 3 on 3. He just doesn't get how important possession is. He forces passes for no reason and takes harmless unscreened shots that the goalie can play off to a defenseman. Last night he got on the wrong side of his man giving away the 2 on 1. I don't think it's a coincidence Slavin was the 1st guy up in OT.

That's all I've got, I blacked out the first 60 minutes.

Faulk is slightly overrated. Not by much at all, but that happens and he's still young. Pretty damn young.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I shouted at my TV screen when faulk just lackadaisically gave away possession on OT.

It's really bizarre. It's like he he's the only guy in the ice that doesn't get it and it isn't new. That's something that somebody (Steve Smith) needs to be in his ear about if he can't get it through his head.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Joe, if you're talking about me giving up on TT.... I did it last year. :)

I was pretty sure by playoffs of last year they were going to trade him. He looked pretty mediocre all year when I watched them. It's a fresh start here, I'm not gonna say much else about it for now. We'll see how the next couple of months go.

Faulk isn't a offensive possession dman. Never really has been. He doesn't skate well laterally without the puck, let alone with it. He's just not made for that style. He's a straight line skater with a huge shot. He works hard in his own end and when he gets the puck he tends to throw it up the boards or charge straight forward. There's nothing wrong with that at all, he just needs to know when to pick his spots, and I agree the coaches can't set him up to fail. Hanifin and Slavin are both better OT options. Arguably Pesce. Hainsey is even decent at it.

Part of what hurts Faulk is he struggles to reverse plays on his own. That's the skating issue, he doesn't escape a forechecker quickly with those pretty tight turns. A couple steps forward to suck a forechecker in, make a sharp escape move under pressure and reset quickly to see if you've created a mismatch somewhere. That's 3 on 3.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad