Player Discussion Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Julien did this in the playoffs. Moved Galchenyuk to the wing to play with Martinsen on the fourth line and said it wasn't a demotion but to spread the offence. Pacioretty of course stayed in the 1LW slot despite showing nothing. Then with two minutes left to go in game six, suddenly it was time to play Galchenyuk at centre in the top six. Why? Because there was nothing left to lose and no need to continue the agenda.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Julien did this in the playoffs. Moved Galchenyuk to the wing to play with Martinsen on the fourth line and said it wasn't a demotion but to spread the offence. Pacioretty of course stayed in the 1LW slot despite showing nothing. Then with two minutes left to go in game six, suddenly it was time to play Galchenyuk at centre in the top six. Why? Because there was nothing left to lose and no need to continue the agenda.

So he could say "See guys! I gave him a chance!"

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm a little confused as to how anybody thinks De La Rose at C makes more sense than Galchenyuk there. Most of this board didn't think De La Rose should make the team and now he deserves a spot in an offensive role more than one of our most talented offensive players?

This team can't score goals and now we are running with Drouin - JDLR - Danault - Mitchell in the middle.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
So after he scored his goal, he got his TOI cut down ? 12:16 :laugh:

julien.gif

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
As I've said before, If he plays centre again and looks great, that makes the coach and GM look stupid. They can't risk it. Better to build inferior lines then look dumb. With the way he's playing right now there's a chance he lines up at centre and still doesn't get going but they don't want to risk it. They made their bed. And once he's traded, if he plays centre on the new team and plays well, they can just say if he was better in Montreal he would have got the spot in Montreal.

People would just claim he needed that demotion to get back on track and take credit for it anyways. Just like when Therrien took credit for Subban's Norris win and all the making him a better person BS.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's hardly a conspiracy theory to point out that there was no internal competition for the role of #1C. The guy who got the job is not an NHL centre, although certainly not without talent. When unproven players are gifted with important positions rather than earning them, and management as well, the system resembles an primitive aristocracy, where birthright is the operative condition.

When an NHL team resorts to coronation as strategy for deployment, rather than proven ability, there is something seriously wrong.

Agreed and it's one of the reasons Galchenyuk is playing badly.

It's not an excuse for his poor play, but it is a reason for it.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yup no doubt in my mind Galchenyuk could have been one of the great centers in this league. I'm talking Stamkos level. The potential was there. Look Kadri couldn't play defense and now he's in contention for the Selke. Imagine that. Galchenyuk doesn't need a change of scenery, he needs a change of GM and coach. Really starting to regret the Julien hire.
I was only happy at his hire as a change from MT. I had no idea he would actually be more pig headed. I already didn't like him from his last stint. Horrid idea putting chucky on wing, lost me right away. Even a peewee coach isn't this sad. Bench him, don't demote him. OR is this at the behest of 32D Dominos Master Marc

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
He was engaged yesterday and that's just what Julien was waiting for, and why he got some shifts on RW1.
Expect to see Galchenyuk play RW1 for good if he keeps it this way.
Maybe to start next game.

On a side note, i would be tempted to go with this;
Hudon - Drouin - Galchenyuk
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Lehkonen

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So after he scored his goal, he got his TOI cut down ? 12:16 :laugh:

julien.gif

How about this then.

Put Chucky as 4th line center.

Since Patches has been shown nothing let's talk to him and help him by putting him on 4th line LW.

Since Lehkonen hasn't been scoring chat him up and help him by dropping him to 4th line RW.

C'mon CJ, let's help these guys out and have a 4th line of Patches......Chucky...Lehks..

But if they score, remember not to play them for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
How about this then.

Put Chucky as 4th line center.

Since Patches has shown nothing let's talk to him and help him by putting him on 4th line LW.

Since Lehkonen hasn't been scoring chat him up and help him by dropping him to 4th line RW.

C'mon CJ, let's help these guys out and have a 4th line of Patches...Chucky...Lehks..

But if they score, remember not to play them for the rest of the game.

That's even better , it's the way to go if we listen to CJ, MB and his lovers.

Reactions: bryan1966

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Chucky is a threat to the French Quebecers on the team, has been ever since he started with Montreal. They protected Desharnais and now they are protecting Drouin and Danault to make sure chucky does not take their jobs or plays ahead of them. Drouin 19% in faceoff circle lastnight? 43% on year. This is why the media is always on Chucky's case.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He was engaged yesterday and that's just what Julien was waiting for, and why he got some shifts on RW1.
Expect to see Galchenyuk play RW1 for good if he keeps it this way.
Maybe to start next game.

On a side note, i would be tempted to go with this;
Hudon - Drouin - Galchenyuk
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Lehkonen
Didn't he play like 2 minutes for the rest of the game after he scored his goal? Can you explain to me the coaching tactic of demoting one of your best players to the 4th line and as soon as he scores a goal, you give him even less ice time instead of building up his confidence?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Didn't he play like 2 minutes for the rest of the game after he scored his goal? Can you explain to me the coaching tactic of demoting one of your best players to the 4th line and as soon as he scores a goal, you give him even less ice time instead of building up his confidence?

Nah, he played 5m48 (6 shifts) in the 2nd period and 3m03 (4 shifts) in the 3rd. It's not any smarter, but it's not like they are planning to keep him around for much longer.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Clearly we're too simple to appreciate the subtle genius at work here. There must be a master plan in the works. If it looks good, it's good. If it looks bad, it's also good.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

He was not one of our best players against the Leafs. Yes, he capitalised on an excellent scoring chance after Hudon made a smart play at the blueline. But overall, this was probably the worst game he had since the start of the season. Not blaming him though, as he was reported going through a flu.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Chucky is a threat to the French Quebecers on the team, has been ever since he started with Montreal. They protected Desharnais and now they are protecting Drouin and Danault to make sure chucky does not take their jobs or plays ahead of them. Drouin 19% in faceoff circle lastnight? 43% on year. This is why the media is always on Chucky's case.

Unfortunately it's been a big concern of the organisation ever since the Cunneyworth tenure, and the cultural backlash it caused. Being local has become more important than winning the cup. The habs are a lost club in the modern era, clinging onto outdated philosophy and can only pimp out their historical achievements to stay relevant.

My posting rate has diminished because my interest in the team has been killed over the past year.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Unfortunately it's been a big concern of the organisation ever since the Cunneyworth tenure, and the cultural backlash it caused. Being local has become more important than winning the cup. The habs are a lost club in the modern era, clinging onto outdated philosophy and can only pimp out their historical achievements to stay relevant.

My posting rate has diminished because my interest in the team has been killed over the past year.

Agreed. it's all about looking good to the medias (and then fans obviously). Not sure they really care much about the "french factor". They just know a portion of their fanbase and TVAS/RDS care.

Even in the 60's and 70's, when there was a heavyer contingent of french speaking players it wasnt that way... I mean, Gilles Lupien wasnt given a spot over Robinson cause he has a french last name, Tremblay didnt play in Shutt spot cause of his name either. Same for Houle, Mondou, Lambert, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad