Gainey vs Bergevin

Who is / was a better GM?

• Total voters

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Honestly, you have to look outside of the organization if you’re looking for Bargain Bin comparables. Bob Gainey was a fine GM, made several terrific moves, and had the Habs in a good spot before tragedy struck his family... and he wasn’t the same GM after.

Bargain Bin belongs in the John Ferguson Junior or Chiarelli comparisons. Not Bob Gainey. Gainey is light years beyond the Bin.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
I would have like to see André Savard get a real chance as a GM

This x 1000. He's the one that brought in Timmins, Julien Brisebois... I think he had an idea how to build a team with competent people in the front office. He was headed into the right direction after taking over a team in shambles, and then he got canned shorty after.

Why exactly was Savard replaced??

When Bergevin will be done he will have... Uh nvm I think the team is ALREADY back in the Houle era, and that is depressing.

Gainey really only gambled once, with Gomez. He also built a winning team despite the Gomez experiment failing. Bergevin gutted the team.

Pierre Gauthier should have been left in charge. You fire a GM if you have a plan and a better candidate available, not because the current one calls players by their last name and hates cheese. Or something like that ..

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
How is this even a question. Gainey is a hundred times better then Bergevin. Comparing the the record they may look even but compare the roster they started with and it's not even close. When judging a GM you look at where they the team.

Gainey took a team that made the playoffs once in the previous 5 seasons, and went on to make the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons (5 out of 6 if you count 2010) and the year he missed the playoffs it was by 1 point. Gainey's best years were his later ones, finishing 1st in the East in year 4 and making the ECF in year 6. The longer he was on the job the better the team became.

Bergevin meanwhile took a team that made the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 seasons, and turned it into the team we have now where we missed the playoffs twice in the past 3 years, finishing at/near the bottom of the league each time. Bergevin's most success was his first two years on the job, the longer he's been our GM the worse we've gotten.

Good post, the more Bergevin puts his mark on this team the worse we get.

Gainey wasnt perfect, but he’s not in the conversation when it comes to worst habs GM, atleast he gave us a fun on ice product.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Lol what. The Beauchemin thing was Columbus breaking a hand shake deal that all GMs had during the lock out and then after that happened, the NHL created a hard rule.

Bergevin is the worst GM we've had and Houle is second worst. Gaineys not in the conversation. I didn't like him losing free agents for nothing either but he took us from garbage and created a competitive team and young core.

The team we had with Koivu Kovalev Ryder Higgins Latendressse and the Kostitsyns. Miles better than anything we've seen in Montreal since he's been gone.

He was advised about Beauchemin to do it the right way to not loose him , but he didn't listen .
He didn't ask anything about Mcdo to Timmins before he traded him .
Yeah , the team we had with Koivu Kovalev Ryder Higgins Latendressse , Tanguay and the Kostitsyns was better . But he lost them for nothing good at all . Players like Tanguay , Koivu , Kovalev would have get good return if traded at the deadline . Come on ! 2-3 first choices at the first round would have changed the future of the team

Houle was only Corey's muppet .

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
for me Bob Gainey was a really good DG. Look at the team he build in Dallas when they won the cup. But he started to be bad when his daughter has died and I think that is normal that a guy is not 100% there mentally when her daughter passed away so tragically.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
They were both bad and neither seemed to have a long term plan for the team. Gainey was mediocre until the Gomez debacle which really made his "legacy" take a turn for the worst. I don't think Bergevin made any move nearly as bad as the Gomez trade, but his overall body of work is bad nonetheless.

Deciding which one is better is like asking what's better between losing an arm or a leg. I'd rather lose neither.

Reactions: dralaf

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
That 2007-2008 season was the most fun I had watching a Habs team in my life. They were dynamic offensively, deadly on the PP and straight out fun. They averaged 3.2 GPG for tops in the East. PP over 24%. First 100pts+ season in 15 years. His downfall was putting that team on the shoulders of a 20 year old rookie goalie.

# of games with 4+ goals (not including SO): 31! (amazing)
# of games with 5+ goals (not including SO): 15
# of games with 6+ goals (not including SO): 7
Quoted for super truth. 2008 team didn't win anything but I was really entertainer and hopeful.

Current team is boring AF and terrible.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
If you really think Gainey would have traded Kovalev/Koivu/Tanguay at the deadline of the centennial year you are living in dreams.

And no, a "ballsy GM" wouldn't have done it either, they'd get killed by the higher ups and everyone knows it.

Reactions: Amerika

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin is worse than Houle.......................Houle was told to sell off players because of the $$$

Bergevin just doesn't know what he is doing, all the while he thinks he is building a winning team, with a huge cap hit compared to what Houle had to deal with...

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
This x 1000. He's the one that brought in Timmins, Julien Brisebois... I think he had an idea how to build a team with competent people in the front office. He was headed into the right direction after taking over a team in shambles, and then he got canned shorty after.

Why exactly was Savard replaced??

Andre Savard wasn't canned. He stepped away from the GM job to allow Gainey to take over. He remained as an assistant GM for the first three years Gainey was GM.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
All that chart proves is what I've said all along: this is institutional mediocrity. It doesn't matter who your GM is, the results will always be the same because the Habs always hire the same type of person to run their team and the same type of coach too. In the aspects that really matter there is scarcely a particle of difference between Bergevin, Gainey or any of their predecessors going back to Irving Grundman. They are all safe, corporate hires who don't make waves. And their preferred coach is also mostly bland, vanilla, defense-first types who also don't make waves. Is it any wonder why players with personalities that fans actually identify with are always run out of town? Look who's running the team!

We all want Bergevin to be fired but we're fooling ourselves if we believe that his successor will be fundamentally different from him or be exponentially more successful either. When the time comes to get rid of Bergevin, we will get a clone in his place, just as Julien is really just Therrien by another name.

Reactions: dralaf and Seb

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Gainey had to deal with the death of this daughter while running the team.... Bergevin has to deal with purple or magenta pants.....it ain't even close. Gainey by a mile.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Both are mediocre in the end. MB has proven that he is in over his head and is sinking to post boating accident Gainey level.

Gainey inherited a very good group maybe even better than MB.

Markov/Beau/Hainsey/Komi is an excellent top 4
Koivu/Ribs/Pleks is a solid group of centers the best the team would of had since the 80's
He also had Ryder and Higgins to fill out the top 6.
He inherited a Vezna and Hart winning goalie.

Both of them will be known for the trades they made. We have PK/Serge for Weber/Drouin vs Gomez for McD. Its a wash as far as which was worse with MB having a chance to pull ahead(or behind depending how you look at it) based on what happens with Drouin/Serge in the next few years.

Gainey lost all our UFA for nothing, while MB lost Radu and Markov for nothing.

Gainey's choices for coaches match up with MB. Julien/Carbo/Martin vs MT/Julien. Pretty equal if you ask me.

Both had a job to win a cup and neither accomplished that job. One stepped away so we don't know what the future would of brought, while the other is hanging onto his job because Molson 2.0 is just as cheap as Molson 1.0.

MB's 10.5x8 for Price is probably the biggest blunder of them all so for that reason I would have to say MB is worse. Gainey was lucky his mistake of Gomez was rectified with a compliance buyout, but the next GM might not get that lucky with Price.

MB after 2 seasons out of 3 with no playoffs should be gone. Best thing is for Molson to accept a tank and tell MB not to make any moves this summer so he can fire him before next years draft. But odds are even if MB tries to make the playoffs next year he will strike out at UFA so we will be stuck with the same team anyways.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Neither have been great and Bergevin has sucked more, so Id rate them:

Marc Bergevin 3/10
Bob Gainey 6/10

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Both are mediocre in the end. MB has proven that he is in over his head and is sinking to post boating accident Gainey level.

Koivu/Ribs/Pleks is a solid group of centers the best the team would of had since the 80's

Both of them will be known for the trades they made. We have PK/Serge for Weber/Drouin vs Gomez for McD. Its a wash as far as which was worse with MB having a chance to pull ahead(or behind depending how you look at it) based on what happens with Drouin/Serge in the next few years.

Gainey's choices for coaches match up with MB. Julien/Carbo/Martin vs MT/Julien. Pretty equal if you ask me.

Both had a job to win a cup and neither accomplished that job. One stepped away so we don't know what the future would of brought, while the other is hanging onto his job because Molson 2.0 is just as cheap as Molson 1.0.

MB's 10.5x8 for Price is probably the biggest blunder of them all so for that reason I would have to say MB is worse. Gainey was lucky his mistake of Gomez was rectified with a compliance buyout, but the next GM might not get that lucky with Price.

MB after 2 seasons out of 3 with no playoffs should be gone. Best thing is for Molson to accept a tank and tell MB not to make any moves this summer so he can fire him before next years draft. But odds are even if MB tries to make the playoffs next year he will strike out at UFA so we will be stuck with the same team anyways.

What Vezinza and Hart winning goalie did Gainey inherit?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Julien wasn't a Gainey hire. Carbo and Martin were his only hires, and Martin is the best coach this team has seen in 25 years by a huge margin.

What Vezinza and Hart winning goalie did Gainey inherit?

Theodore, however that's disingenuous.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Like I've said in the past I prefer the 2012 team to the 2018 team.

25 years old Price
23 years old Pacioretty and Subban
3rd pick overall in the draft (Galchenyuk)
20 years old Gallagher
23 years old Eller
younger Markov and Plekanec

We basically have the same core now but older. We didn't add anybody to our core.

Bergevin hasn't improve the team on any position. (F, D or G)

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad