Gainey vs Bergevin

Who is / was a better GM?

• Total voters

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He came from a winning team, looking fresh and dynamic. He came here with the promise of building trough the draft and development and being more transparent to the fans. He put in place a strong management team full of experienced hockey minds and even hired an analytic expert.

That's all coming after Pierre Gauthier, it's hard not to get hyped.

Needless to say Bergevin is a fraud.

Well that's the thing. We should learn that the grass isn't always greener. Every GM since I can remember was made out to be a complete imbicile by the end of their tenure here.

Every guy that comes in knows all the right things to say when they start fresh. My skepticism was rooted in exactly what contribution did MB make in those Chicago teams, and I never really got an indication that he did anything of major significance.... However, I was willing to give a chance. It didn't work.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Both GMs had a significant tenure with the Habs. Enough to implement whatever obscure "5-year plan" fans were promised to make Habs great again. As Bergevin is closing on Gainey's regular season games total (12 difference), let's look at what both have accomplished.

Regular season:

Gainey - counting games until resignation on Feb 8, 2010.

View attachment 112869

Bergevin:

View attachment 112859

Regular season success rate is very similar, less than a point difference per season on average.

Playoffs:

Gainey:

View attachment 112879

Bergevin:

View attachment 112877

Advantage Bergevin, however if we were to count 2010 miraculous Halak run once Gainey left, Montreal would have 20 wins.

Seems to me like a wash, treating the symptoms and not the root cause of Montreal shortcomings season after season.

Bergevin’s top best players were:

#1 Subban
#2 Markov
#3 Price
#4 Pacioretty
#5 Galchenyuk (Talent wise)
#6 Pleckanec

He added nothing to the club

the prospect pool depleted, no one wants to come here any more, the players want to leave, attitude problems in the locker room

After 6 years Bergevin has effectively scrapped the club.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I wasn't crazy about Gainey's tenure, and the way he botched the '08 summer was a monumental failure... But that failure meant missing a chance to build a contender and instead being left with a pretender that at least was good enough to make the playoffs every year...

Plus he maintained the kind of class and dignity a historical franchise like the Habs should always have.

Bergevin turned a potential contending team into this stinking mess... Regressing us to a lottery picking team needing a ton of luck just to be a first round bust...
And he's been brought a smug, condescending and douchy air to the organization that is embarrassing.

The comparison is an insult to Gainey, and an insult to the franchise.

Bergevin stands alone as the worst GM we've ever had, and he ain't done yet.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Gainey ****ed up so many things but you have to admit that the team was ****ing fun and exciting to watch for almost the entire time he was here.

It has never been this way under Bergevin. Even when the team was winning it was torture to watch.

I am quoting this for truth. More specifically the even when we were winning it was torture to watch part. Always ugly goals, always protecting small leads, always low scoring, always defence and grind, dump the puck, chase it, win the board battles just typing out the strategy raises my blood pressure.

Jul 6, 2016
Gainey made loads of mistakes too. People have short memory around here.

Reactions: dralaf

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Gainey made loads of mistakes too. People have short memory around here.

I think that is fair to say and the numbers would say we are comparing apples to apples. But Gainey put out a better product. A better entertainment module rather than a winning product.

Some can call me crazy but I've long said I'd much happier loose and be entertained than win by virtue of stifling strategy.

StanleyCH25

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I think that is fair to say and the numbers would say we are comparing apples to apples. But Gainey put out a better product. A better entertainment module rather than a winning product.

Some can call me crazy but I've long said I'd much happier loose and be entertained than win by virtue of stifling strategy.

100% agree. I think some coaches and GMs forget that they are in the entertainment business. People watch sports to be entertained. When the product stops being entertaining, people tune out. I’ve struggled to watch a complete hockey game for the last 3 or 4 years. I fall asleep on the couch watching this ‘character’ team. I wanted to give Bergevin a chance and had faith throughout the process but I’m not so sure that was a good idea anymore.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I wasn't crazy about Gainey's tenure, and the way he botched the '08 summer was a monumental failure... But that failure meant missing a chance to build a contender and instead being left with a pretender that at least was good enough to make the playoffs every year...

Plus he maintained the kind of class and dignity a historical franchise like the Habs should always have.

Bergevin turned a potential contending team into this stinking mess... Regressing us to a lottery picking team needing a ton of luck just to be a first round bust...
And he's been brought a smug, condescending and *****y air to the organization that is embarrassing.

We have a winner!! Well said.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Another big thing: Gainey didn't throw his players under the bus. When Brisebois was a constant target of the boobirds, Gainey went to the mat to tell the fans to shove it to defend his player. I was no fan of Breezey at the time, but I respected Gainey for doing what he did.

Bergevin throws players under the bus all the ****ing time to save his own hide. Never quite directly (though he comes damn close) but the players aren't stupid and are sure to understand what he means. It's one of his most disgraceful qualities.

Give me Gainey over this arrogant douchebag six days a week and twice on Sunday.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
How is this even a question. Gainey is a hundred times better then Bergevin. Comparing the the record they may look even but compare the roster they started with and it's not even close. When judging a GM you look at where they the team.

Gainey took a team that made the playoffs once in the previous 5 seasons, and went on to make the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons (5 out of 6 if you count 2010) and the year he missed the playoffs it was by 1 point. Gainey's best years were his later ones, finishing 1st in the East in year 4 and making the ECF in year 6. The longer he was on the job the better the team became.

Bergevin meanwhile took a team that made the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 seasons, and turned it into the team we have now where we missed the playoffs twice in the past 3 years, finishing at/near the bottom of the league each time. Bergevin's most success was his first two years on the job, the longer he's been our GM the worse we've gotten.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Saddens me that we went from A.Savard to Gainey to Gauthier to Bergevin. Keeps getting worse.

Can we get a decent GM for once ffs??

No. The Language is the most important thing here
Until that is addressed, nothing will ever change

Even at the press conference, someone asked about not having enough French players
It's unfortunately something that will never change. I'm pretty sure people would complain if the Habs ever won a Cup without having a francophone on the roster. It's just sad
the personal can't afford to miss out on local talent, at even talent it's also ok to go with the local kids. I really have nothing against that
As for management and coaching, that's where things need to change. The language in the NHL is English, no one cares about speaking French to the media. Hire a f***ing translator if it's such a big deal

Reactions: habsfan44

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

And he's been brought a smug, condescending and *****y air to the organization that is embarrassing.

This summer will cement Burningbin as worse than Houle. He is going to double down on patches or trade him for peanuts. Chucky will be traded for a third line centre and dan-o becomes our #2. The full on trainwreck is just headin at us. Oldschool thinking will prevail.
train-wreck-1919.jpg

Reactions: Miller Time

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The comparison is an insult to Gainey. It's not even close.

Bergevin is actually riding Gainey's coattails, still relying on Price, Max, Gallagher*, and the return from the highly criticized PK trade.

The Gomez trade was a mistake, but he did well acquiring the draft pick then picking Pacioretty, drafting Subban and Price, trading for Kovalev. The team was fun to watch.

* drafted by the Goat with BG advising

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Gainey is without a doubt is the better GM. Were the Habs still mediocre with him? To an extent yes, but his group led the Habs to their first 100 points season in 15 years (2007-2008) mostly from players he acquired. He also had much more to show for in terms of drafting which is currently saving Bergevin's ass. His drafting and trading led the Habs to their best performances in the playoffs (2010 and 2014) since 1993. You might ask why 2014? Well, the reason this team made it far in 2014 was thanks to players he brought in (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Gionta, etc.)

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Gainey ****ed up so many things but you have to admit that the team was ****ing fun and exciting to watch for almost the entire time he was here.

It has never been this way under Bergevin. Even when the team was winning it was torture to watch.

That 2007-2008 season was the most fun I had watching a Habs team in my life. They were dynamic offensively, deadly on the PP and straight out fun. They averaged 3.2 GPG for tops in the East. PP over 24%. First 100pts+ season in 15 years. His downfall was putting that team on the shoulders of a 20 year old rookie goalie.

# of games with 4+ goals (not including SO): 31! (amazing)
# of games with 5+ goals (not including SO): 15
# of games with 6+ goals (not including SO): 7

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
as many posters said.

No comparison when its comes to BG vs MB
no motherf**king comparison at all!

Bob blow MB out of the water.

I've never been so close to just saying to hell with the habs and switching teams. I've supported the habs for 25 years and counting and I am actually thinking of leaving because of these two dickwads along with the stupid outdated MUST SpeAK FRENCH culture. Way to limit your options.....

I mean what has gone on here at this franchise is actual insanity.

I honestly cannot comprehend how it has been this much of a circus for this long without the entire province of Quebec raiding the Habs front office with pitch forks and having a public beheading like France revolution of 1700's.

Can people not think critically for themselves? Does it take some sort of expert to state " The habs need help in the center position" before they will believe it?
eye test, stats and analytics all point to a shit team that marc has constructed by doing nothing more then riding the prime picks of the last management while systemically making the team worse to be more in his image when he was a shitty "character" guy throwin pucks in his own net.

Do they listen to the complete and utter bullshit flowing out of Marcs mouth and just say " Sounds good, he's got a plan!! I don't know what it is so it must be good!" ?

WHAT IN THE FLYING F**K IS GOING ON!?!! :scared::scared::madfire:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad