Gainey vs Bergevin

Who is / was a better GM?

• Total voters

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Both GMs had a significant tenure with the Habs. Enough to implement whatever obscure "5-year plan" fans were promised to make Habs great again. As Bergevin is closing on Gainey's regular season games total (12 difference), let's look at what both have accomplished.

Regular season:

Gainey - counting games until resignation on Feb 8, 2010.

upload_2018-4-11_21-22-54.png

Bergevin:

upload_2018-4-11_21-16-20.png

Regular season success rate is very similar, less than a point difference per season on average.

Playoffs:

Gainey:

upload_2018-4-11_21-33-13.png

Bergevin:

upload_2018-4-11_21-29-35.png

Advantage Bergevin, however if we were to count 2010 miraculous Halak run once Gainey left, Montreal would have 20 wins.

Seems to me like a wash, treating the symptoms and not the root cause of Montreal shortcomings season after season.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-11_21-18-30.png
    upload_2018-4-11_21-18-30.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2018-4-11_21-25-43.png
    upload_2018-4-11_21-25-43.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 1

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I was going to say Gainey didn't leave a mess but he left Gomez and his contract to deal with.
At the time , he didn't receive anything for Koivu,Tanguay , Komisarek , Kovalev , all free agents that he kept with the team instead of trade them at the deadline ...and than he didn't re-sign one . You add what he did with Beauchemin , and the Gomez trade ...

Worst GM ever for the Habs

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At the time , he didn't receive anything for Koivu,Tanguay , Komisarek , Kovalev , all free agents that he kept with the team instead of trade them at the deadline ...and than he didn't re-sign one . You add what he did with Beauchemin , and the Gomez trade ...

Worst GM ever for the Habs

Lol what. The Beauchemin thing was Columbus breaking a hand shake deal that all GMs had during the lock out and then after that happened, the NHL created a hard rule.

Bergevin is the worst GM we've had and Houle is second worst. Gaineys not in the conversation. I didn't like him losing free agents for nothing either but he took us from garbage and created a competitive team and young core.

The team we had with Koivu Kovalev Ryder Higgins Latendressse and the Kostitsyns. Miles better than anything we've seen in Montreal since he's been gone.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Gainey didn't get to have Timmins' picks in their prime. I would have liked to have seen what he did with Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher in their primes.

I don't mind trading for Gomez. It was giving up McDonagh that severely taints his legacy. He also leadked too many assets (Streit, Perezhogin, Grabovski, Latendresse, 1st and 2nd for Tanguay for 1 year).

But I think Bergevin's is worse, because he gave up Subban but made all sorts of other bad moves. Whereas Gainey brought in Kovalev and re-signed him, Bergevin brought in Radulov and overpaid for Alzner and Shaw but balked at the idea of giving Radulov an extra million and lost him.

When Gainey let Koivu, Kovalev, and Tanguay walk, he replaced them with Cammalleri, Gionta, and Gomez, which took us to the conference finals.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Gainey got this team to a point.... When it came time to take that final step, he just couldn't close the deal. He knew that the center position was the key. It just never materialized.

Lecavalier, Gomez 1.0, sundin, briere 1.0 were all courted hard by gainey over the years. When that didn't work, and koivu was into his mid 30's, we settled with Gomez who was just on the verge of a sharp decline.

MB also took over a team that was missing that #1 center in it's impressive young core. He couldn't find one, and made the team worse in the process.

Overall, gainey was the better GM.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We need a thread: Houle vs. Bergevin,

because Bergevin has sunk to that tier.

Where as Houle is a nice guy, a gentleman who gave his heart and soul to the organization, but just didn't have the business acumen to be good at the job, Bergevin has business sense, he just thinks he's the smartest guy in the room trying to build a team based on character and grit over skill. If he just used his acumen to get skill he might actually be a good GM.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Lol what. The Beauchemin thing was Columbus breaking a hand shake deal that all GMs had during the lock out and then after that happened, the NHL created a hard rule.

Bergevin is the worst GM we've had and Houle is second worst. Gaineys not in the conversation. I didn't like him losing free agents for nothing either but he took us from garbage and created a competitive team and young core.

The team we had with Koivu Kovalev Ryder Higgins Latendressse and the Kostitsyns. Miles better than anything we've seen in Montreal since he's been gone.
I think Houle is the worst by far and I agree that Gainey is not in the same conversation.

MB is better then Houle. After 5 years of MB, there is still someting left... lol

My mind doesn’t want to recall everything Houle traded but not much was left. What was worse is that we all felt bad for Houle!! lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Saddens me that we went from A.Savard to Gainey to Gauthier to Bergevin. Keeps getting worse.

Can we get a decent GM for once ffs??

People were pretty pumped here when bergevin got hired.

I was skeptical. French or non french, it was a shallow pool of candidates in 2012.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
People were pretty pumped here when bergevin got hired.

I was skeptical. French or non french, it was a shallow pool of candidates in 2012.

He came from a winning team, looking fresh and dynamic. He came here with the promise of building trough the draft and development and being more transparent to the fans. He put in place a strong management team full of experienced hockey minds and even hired an analytic expert.

That's all coming after Pierre Gauthier, it's hard not to get hyped.

Needless to say Bergevin is a fraud.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Houle is a little harder to compare as there was no loser points but if you look at overall total points compared to league (ranked #12) for regular season he has delivered pretty much the same standard of excellence as Bergevin & Gainey.

upload_2018-4-11_23-7-13.png

Getting into playoffs was more challenging for Houle.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

because Bergevin has sunk to that tier.

Where as Houle is a nice guy, a gentleman who gave his heart and soul to the organization, but just didn't have the business acumen to be good at the job, Bergevin has business sense, he just thinks he's the smartest guy in the room trying to build a team based on character and grit over skill. If he just used his acumen to get skill he might actually be a good GM.

Couldn't resist. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->