Injury Report: Gaborik out 8 weeks with foot injury

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
What is the "or" about? I'm not saying he can't play in it: I'm saying the tournament is stupid and has now impacted what really matters: the LA Kings. I'm sure the continent of Europe is not sweating that they won't have Gaborik for the next eight weeks to play for their team since, you know, that team won't exist a week or so from now.

Players play. I get it. Don't have the option for them to play in this tournament by not having it and problem solved. I have no ill will towards Gaborik for playing: not at all.

This isn't a "fan concern". He's being paid very good money to play professional hockey for the LA Kings. The Kings "signing off on it" doesn't mean **** since of course they are fine with it: this tournament is an NHL event. Even if they weren't fine with it, no team would be able to keep their guys from playing. That's the whole ****ing problem: the tournament even existing.

Again, the only reason to argue against what I'm saying is if you like the tournament and think it is worth it. If so, that's your opinion and I hope the tournament has been worth it for you and will continue to be worth it come November when the Kings are struggling to score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcqQC02YbY

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
It still sucks. It's on ESPN and they have the worst broadcast team for it. Most of the games are unwatchable.

Carter got hurt during the prelim.
Now Gaborik is hurt blocking a meaningless shot.

2AJCu1x.gif

I can't wait to see Canada win an international tourney like usual.

Actually, most of the games have been fantastic.

Carter was hurt in training, not in the prelims.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm not arguing against what you're saying. I don't care all that much about any of the international tournaments, real or fake. For me, it doesn't matter when a player gets hurt. If it's in August walking his dog, in meaningless games, or a random NHL game in February, none of that changes the reality of the injury. If Gaborik got hurt in the 1st period of the 1st game of the season with 0 goals and 0 points, and then was out for 8 weeks, I don't see a difference between that or him getting hurt a few days ago playing for nothing.

Well that clears things up for me, thanks for explaining.

I don't agree with that reasoning because I don't think hockey injuries are like Final Destination or something. Fact is he was playing in a competitive game that he would not of been playing in if not for this tournament taking place. I can't get on board the "if it wasn't there, it would of been here" train, although I understand it in regards to Gaborik. Even then, this is a blocked shot and not a soft tissue deal like he usually deals with.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The 96 WC was great because we hadn't seen best on best hockey since the 91 Canada Cup. And it was the first time the US had a roster that was realistically capable of hanging with the Canadians and Russians. The Swedes were loaded, the Czechs had probably the best player and best goalie in the world (and would win Gold 18 months later in Nagano) . There weren't any gimmicky teams, it felt like everyone genuinely cared.

But no matter how hard the NHL tries, this tournament is never going to take over from the Olympics as the premier best on best hockey event. It's not even in the same universe.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well that clears things up for me, thanks for explaining.

I don't agree with that reasoning because I don't think hockey injuries are like Final Destination or something. Fact is he was playing in a competitive game that he would not of been playing in if not for this tournament taking place. I can't get on board the "if it wasn't there, it would of been here" train, although I understand it in regards to Gaborik. Even then, this is a blocked shot and not a soft tissue deal like he usually deals with.

You don't have to. If he hurt his back picking up a cracker like Brent Sopel, the Kings would be missing out just as much. Does the cause or nature of the injury change the impact?

Missing 8 weeks sucks no matter what. You can try all you want to shelter these athletes so he can only participate in the games you want them to, but it's a foolish (and selfish) endeavor.

And just because I could give two ****s about international play doesn't mean I expect everyone to be on board. It would be like saying I can't respect people's decision to listen to country music even if I can't stand it.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
You don't have to. If he hurt his back picking up a cracker like Brent Sopel, the Kings would be missing out just as much. Does the cause or nature of the injury change the impact?

Missing 8 weeks sucks no matter what. You can try all you want to shelter these athletes so he can only participate in the games you want them to, but it's a foolish (and selfish) endeavor.

And just because I could give two ****s about international play doesn't mean I expect everyone to be on board. It would be like saying I can't respect people's decision to listen to country music even if I can't stand it.

I don't expect everyone to be on board either. I think the tournament is stupid and can give my reasoning behind my opinion but I understand it is just my opinion in the end. It's the correct one, but still just mine haha.

We can agree to disagree on the injury front. We can't put these guys in bubbles and unwrap them for practice and games so, yes, people can get hurt picking up a cracker or making pancakes. The point is, which scenario is more likely to lead to an injury: competitive hockey tournament or picking up a cracker? It's quite obviously the former so, while you can't always shelter these guys from injuries, you can also not raise the odds of them getting hurt which is exactly what this tournament does for those that are playing in it. What's the reward? Hopefully increased exposure for the game and then money for the owners. I don't give two ***** about the latter and the former doesn't appear to have happened so, again, this tournament should not be taking place since the only people watching it are already hockey fans. You've got guys on this board that have been posting for over 10 years and you know they watch every Kings game yet they can't be bothered to watch 10 minutes of this thing.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Gabo was going to get hurt, not if, it's when, with him. Better now, then down the stretch.

This also gives someone else an opportunity, lets see if someone grabs it.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I hope Dean Lombardi dosen't go out and trade 1st and 2nd round picks to replace the injured players. This team needs to start rebuilding the system.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I hope Dean Lombardi dosen't go out and trade 1st and 2nd round picks to replace the injured players. This team needs to start rebuilding the system.

My guess is you don't have to worry about that. Gaborik is coming back in November, so this isn't last year where they could wait until the playoffs to add his cap hit after getting Versteeg. And I think he's in a wait and see mode with this team now, what with their 1 playoff win in 2 years. Plus Brown isn't going anywhere, Kopitar has gotten his raise, Toffoli needs to be signed.

I think the last 2 years were taking a shot before all of the big contracts became a problem, and now all of the big contracts are a problem. It's cheap free agents and whatever youth is in the system for the foreseeable future.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
After watching Kyle Connor play man do i wish we never made the Lucic trade even though im a big fan of the guy and loved the trade at the time . Connor could have been the fixture needed on that top line LW next to Kopitar. He is going to be a very underrated super star.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
-Whether or not Marian Gaborik will play against Chicago will be decided after the morning skate. -- Jon Rosen

The possibility of having Gaborik and Kopi at the same time? The Christmas season has started!

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
So now DS isn't sure about Gaborik playing, anyone remember him giving Gaborik hell when he said he wasn't ready a while back?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So now DS isn't sure about Gaborik playing, anyone remember him giving Gaborik hell when he said he wasn't ready a while back?

Wait and see for tomorrow night:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/gaborik-736590-sutter-kings.html

“We’ll talk in the morning,†Sutter said when asked about Gaborik’s availability Saturday. “If he thinks he’s ready to play, we’ll make a decision. I’m not sure. He hasn’t played in nine weeks. The player really has to tell you he’s ready and the coaching staff has to think so, too.â€

But of course, Gabby says he's ready:

“I feel good,†he said. “I think I should be good to go tomorrow.â€

lol we shall see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad